Giving it a whirl

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving it a whirl

No idea why I did this. Boredom maybe. I havenít really kept as close tabs this year. Order was based on how I roughly view the teams at this point in the season that is somewhat influenced by current records. In short Ö whatever I decided on at this point in time. One round. I fully expect that the next time I try Ö the order will be significantly different. Itís interesting to me in that I think the AFC has the top teams Ö but arguably the worst teams as well. I'd imagine there's going to be some WTF am I doing comments. Ah, oh well. Tis early. Please don't knock me on the order, as I've fully explained it. That gets boring after awhile.

1. Buffalo

Iíve got them here largely because Ö well, I just donít see the passing game developing into a legitimate threat to balance out that offense, and the defense just isnít ready to carry the team, as evidenced by the first few weeks. The one area on defense that might warrant a high concern would be at DT, and if Glenn Dorsey tests well, they might consider him, as he could really bolster that front four and make it a potentially dominant unit, as it currently lacks the dynamic interior player necessary, although McCargo could still develop. There isnít another glaring defensive area of concern that would merit a first round selection, IMO, let along a 1st overall consideration.

If they are this bad, that means the QB position would have faltered, and considering Losman is hurt and was struggling anyways, that seems likely. Trent Edwards is nice, but if they decide to move on from the Losman era, Edwards is not stopping them from drafting a top QB. I am, though, wary, at this point in time, as to whether any QB is truly deserving of, say, top 5 status, let alone number 1 overall, but teams have never shied away from reaching on QBís, particularly in recent years. If they made a pick here, the nod goes to Andre Woodson, who has been red hot, shows good leadership and decision making, along with the raw physical tools to excel. Certainly, mechanical work is needed, and that might mean Losman/Edwards get a shot in 2008.

Thing is, while itís often hard to trade down from the top spot, I see a couple possibilities with how I have the order currently set. Both Atlanta and Dallas have extra picks, Dallas having picked up the Browns pick. Both teams could make aggressive moves here to reshape their futures. The lean here is

Projected Trade:

Buffalo gets the 2nd overall and Dallasí 2nd and 3rd rounders in 2008
    Dallas gets the 1st overall

Atlanta has more needs than Dallas, and at the end of the day, I think they may hold still and exercise all the picks. Dallas has the fortune of owning Clevelandís first, which gives them a lot of options. Looking at their talent, thereís very few areas that need a desperate injection of youth. Offensively, OL isnít likely here, and a young WR, if selected, would be later on, as someone to develop. Defensively, a top 3-4 DL player, particularly at NT, would be nice, but who? Dorsey isnít a fit for the end role in all honesty. Maybe a CB, but thatís more a depth move as well. As good as Marion Barber III is, a dynamic talent like Darren McFadden may be too hard to pass up here if they can land him. There definitely, if McFadden tests as well as people think he will, might be several teams interested in moving up for him, such as Atlanta. Buffalo would get a few more picks and avoid making the pressurized first overall QB pick. I think they can make the trade happen without giving up both firsts, but Buffalo might want to go for both.

Dallas picks: RB Darren McFadden, Arkansas

Buffalo options: Andreí Woodson, Glenn Dorsey
    Donít see any other real options, as of now, for Dallas if they did move up. Maybe Calais Campbell Ö

2. Buffalo f/ Cleveland via Dallas

Buffalo moves down 1 spot, passes on a player they wouldnít have taken anyways, and in this scenario picks up an extra 2nd and 3rd. This is an ideal scenario for them. They may look around for some more deals, but at the end of the day, I think they hold firm here and make a pick. This may be odd Ö but the nod is to Dorsey here. I think, if they picked first overall, there would be pressure to make that QB pick. In moving down, I think they may be a bit open minded about it. Dorsey would give them a potentially dominant interior force. If McCargo develops, then they have a nasty tandem inside. That said, QB still warrants consideration. Dorsey could be gone at 3, and perhaps 5, so if they want him, theyíd probably snap him up. As for Cleveland in 2 here, well, I think the Brady Quinn era will start soon, and theyíll go through growing pains. I donít think anyone envisioned the Browns doing that much with Quinn/Anderson at the helm, and they are in the toughest division in football.

Buffalo picks: DT Glenn Dorsey, LSU

Buffalo options: Andreí Woodson

3. Atlanta

I think almost everyone expects them to struggle this year, on account of off-field distractions, and one Joey Harrington helming the ship. For some reason, I think theyíll be able to squeeze out enough victories to avoid the 1st or 2nd spot. Granted, when you are this bad, you might prefer, as a fan, the team just tanking. But I think I like what Iíve seen out of Petrino so far.

With extra picks, they very well might get aggressive. Dorsey and McFadden are two guys they might have strong interest in, and both are off the board now. So it might be a possibility for them to move up. As of now, I lean against it. While I think thereís a lot of reason for hope, there also are several areas to address, which is why I think they might hold steady.

What do they do here? A lot of possible areas of concern, but there isnít a DT really worth it here, there really isnít a RB worth it. A talent like Calais Campbell could warrant consideration, but they already took a toolsy, big end last year, so Iím not sure I see duplication. DeAngelo Hallís struggles and implosion may bear watching Ö but then again, not sure a CB is worth it here either. LB? Donít see it. S? Perhaps Ö get a Kenny Phillips and slide Jimmy Williams to corner? Or keep both back there?

I think, if the draft falls this way, itís OL or QB. Iíll admit my biases might be impacting my decision here, as I truly donít feel Brohm is worth it here, and Iím passing on that for now, but he deserves consideration due to his ties. Oh, I donít see a trade down here. Donít see who deals up. This will likely be somewhat controversial, on account to his poor start to the year. But I think, if he finishes strong, he should merit high consideration, and the nod goes to Ryan Clady. Why not Jake Long? I just am not sold heís a pro LT in most schemes (for some, heíd be fine). There seems to be heavy rumors that Clady is dead set on turning pro. On a side note, last year, I was big on Doug Free (not this big, though), and he struggled and fell (granted, injuries were a factor there). I think Clady has the feet to eventually be a stud LT, and combined his good bulk will give a solid projection for many.

Atlanta picks: OT Ryan Clady, Boise State

Atlanta options: Jake Long, Andreí Woodson, Brian Brohm

4. Miami

I think Cameron can be a good HC, and I think Mueller is solid in personnel. That said, hard to see them doing that good, which does make their offseason a bit more curious, as they seemed to want the best of both worlds by shedding some veterans and adding some veterans. That said, this wasnít their mess, although the Ginn Jr. was questionable (I was fine with the Beck pick) and theyíll be able to move forward from the Saban area a bit more this offseason.

Defensively, they could use an edge talent, along with DL help. More secondary help is warranted. Offensively, hard to see them going WR, after spending such a high pick last year. Beck is the QB of the future, and will likely get a look down the stretch. Iíd imagine Ronnie Brown will still be the guy, although adding another back may occur a bit later.

A lot of possibilities, and admittedly, I havenít followed closely this year. Iíd imagine OL has to be a possibility, and Jake Long might be a LT fit for Cam Cameronís offense. Adding a guy like Long could settle the line, and help create a better running attack, making the entire offense better, and protecting the defense a bit.

Miami picks: OT Jake Long, Michigan

Miami options: Calais Campbell, an edge player to emerge

5. Oakland

I really like what Iíve seen out of Lane Kiffin so far, and youíd imagine that, with more of the guys he wants in place, and more time, better things may happen. That said, they do have to work in Jamarcus Russell next year, so give Kiffin time. I like what Iíve seen though, especially considering they are still somewhat limited personnel wise. Clearly, the QB of the future is in place. A WR would be nice, but is anyone worth it here? A stud back is a thought Ö but who? The OL is a possibility to consider. Defensively, they are set at conrer. I could see them adding DL help. Canít see LB or S this high.

A lot of possibilities could happen here. Iíd contemplate a trade, but at the end of the day, I think Calais Campbell is too good to pass up if he is available here. Heíd really give them an intriguing DE to develop and may fit into the raw potential that Al Davis loves. A tempting possibility may to be move down and grab Chris Long, but Iíd have to see a trade that I really like Ö and I donít see one.

Oakland picks: DE Calais Campbell, the U

Oakland options: Chris Long, Gosder Cherilus, Sam Baker, Sedrick Ellis, and a few more

6. St. Louis

Itís disappointing for me to put them this high, as I thought they could win the NFC West. But things havenít been going right, particularly on the injury front. Defensively, they are still getting chewed up by the run. The only offensive area that I could see an early pick with is the OL Ö and I just donít see it. Um Öconsidering Bulgerís extension, QB is a no. Thus, Iím looking defensively. I could see a pick almost anywhere, to be honest. An edge guy like Chris Long could help shore up the run while still getting a push. A pass rusher like Harvey or Gholston might merit consideration. A young 3-technique like Sedrick Ellis is a possibility. A LB like Keith Rivers might merit consideration.

That said, Iíll throw a curveball into the mix. Kansas City is a potential threat to take a QB. Thus,

Projected Trade:

St. Louis gets the 9th overall, Minnesotaís own third and fourth rounder
    Minnesota gets the 6th overall

Minnesota has an extra 3rd rounder due to the trade with Denver involving Marcus Thomas. St. Louis can address their needs just fine at 9. Minnesotaís defense is just real good, but the offense isnít there. While some defensive help may be warranted, thatís likely depth help thatís needed. Offensively, their OL could use some more work, and they could use a good receiver. That said, the biggest issue is at QB, and while I like Tarvaris Jackson enough, I donít think, unless Jackson comes back strong, that theyíd pass up a high QB if one was available. Granted, a top QB pick likely would go through struggles, but it would also buy them some time. The nod here goes to the guy who I think is the best QB in the draft, and a guy that I just feel like would be a good fit for Childress. I will fully admit I expected to have a QB work earlier, but this is how I talked it out as of now, and it might have to do with my own views on this QB cropís worthiness at the top of the draft.

Minnesota picks: QB Andreí Woodson, Kentucky

Minnesota options: another QB is a possibility, if a WR emerges

7. Kansas City

I think that defense is going to keep them in some games, but the offense just doesnít seem like itíll do enough to win enough games to be a threat. This teamís in a quasi-rebuilding mode, and itís really not far from being competitive again. That said, on a personal feeling, I often feel that Peterson is fine with being competitive, rather than being a real contender. Just a personal feeling there.

What might they need? If Jared Allen isnít retained, an end is a thought. A better DT isnít out of the question. LB doesnít seem likely, and DB isnít a first round concern this high, IMO. OL and QB could both draw looks. I donít think theyíd be aggressive enough to push to move up for a QB, hence why Minnesota jumped them in this scenario. Brohm seems like a type of QB that could work, but this is a run-oriented team, and the early problems with the OL has me leaning that route. A debatable pick, as Iím not sold heís worth it this high, but the top of this draft, as of now, looks really weak to me, and the nod goes to Gosder Cherilus over Sam Baker, as I think Cherilus, from what Iíve seen and read, is better in the run department.

Kansas City picks: OT Gosder Cherilus, Boston College

Kansas City options: Sam Baker, Brian Brohm, Matt Ryan, and some others

8. Detroit

That game with Philly was an ouch. That said, I think they are improved, but whether or not it shows in the standings, only time will tell. Hard to blame their inability to create a strong run game based on Martz considering their top RB option has been out, so letís see how that plays out. Offensively, the QB of the future is in place, and clearly, WR is not a thought. If Kevin Jones has concerns, then that might necessitate a look at RB this high. I still think the OL could use some work. Defensively, theyíve gotten some pressure so far, but still have to shore up the pass D a bit. The run D has had some holes, and I havenít followed close enough to know why.

Admittedly, I havenít followed close enough to really have a feel for what to do here. The move I want to make is the one I think is least likely, and thatís a Sam Baker pick here. After some debating, the nod goes to Kenny Phillips.

Detroit picks: S Kenny Phillips, the U

Detroit options: Keith Rivers, Sam Baker, an edge guy

9. St. Louis f/ Minnesota

St. Louis slides down and doesnít really miss on anyone that would be a huge possibility for them. Iím still uncertain as to what the best course of action is. The nod in this go around is, uh, well, Sedrick Ellis. With Wrotenís issues, and Gloverís age, getting a young upfield type like Sedrick Ellis might be a possibility.

St. Louis picks: DT Sedrick Ellis, Southern California

St. Louis options: Chris Long, an edge guy, a LB, ?

10. New Orleans

I think everyone knew the run D would have issues. I donít think anyone expected their running game to be weak, but with Deuce out, itís hard for me to see them having that power running attack to balance out their offense. So, whatís the course of action? The core of the good team from 2006 is still there, and a few touches, and they should be strong again. Offensively, a lot depends on Deuceís health, but there isnít a power back to take here anyways, and if they take a back, itíll be to pair with Reggie, so thatíll come later. Offense in general doesnít seem likely. The focus would probably be on defense. Jason David hasnít looked so hot. They could still use a LB upgrade. A good DT would be nice.

Tough to call right now on what direction to go. This is my biggest current reach Ö but Iím going to project Dre Moore working up the board a bit and the Saints addressing their DT position. Flame away. The reported numbers may warrant a rise as the draft gets closer, if those numbers are true, and he has gotten off to a good start this year.

New Orleans picks: DT Dre Moore, Maryland

New Orleans options: Um Ö Keith Rivers? I guess any DT that merits consideration here would be an option.

11. New York Jets

Year 2 of Mangeniusí era has certainly been an intriguing one so far. That said, the raw talent probably just isnít there, and with the AFC being so tough, they could struggle record-wise. Offensively, the one area that could warrant a look is the OL Ö but do they spend a pick on OL this high? Itís questionable. Defensively, they could use DL help, but hard to see who? I still think they could use an edge guy, and the nod goes that way for now.

New York Jets pick: DE/OLB Vernon Gholston, the Ohio State

12. New York Giants

Iíll be the first to say Iím not sure what to think about this team. They came up with a good win against Washington, but Iím still not sold. Their pass D has been problematic so far, and as a result, their overall run numbers donít look great. But I think their run D is alright. Offensively, Ward had a huge game, but I donít think many consider him a real option. The big question to answer is still whether or not Brandon Jacobs is the man. The current thought on my part is that, even if he isnít, the RBís from here to the 2nd round arenít that far separated, so they may be better off waiting. Iím tempted to go with Sam Baker, but I go with another USC guy, as Kawika Mitchell could be upgraded.

New York Giants pick: LB Keith Rivers, Southern California

13. Tennessee

Jeff Fisherís got stability, and his Titans are showing good development. Granted, no matter what they do, the development of Vince Young as a passer will be the critical element in seeing how they develop. But the run Dís gotten nasty again, and the defense, on the whole, is strong. Offensively, the run game has shown some strength, and receivers are stepping up when needed. The OL is solid.

So, where to? A lot of possibilities exist. They can draft for value now, as there are fewer holes. Iím thinking end or WR. Vince Young is the future, and future needs some help. The nod goes to DeSean Jackson, although an end like Chris Long is tempting.

Tennessee picks: WR DeSean Jackson, California

14. Tampa Bay

The Buccaneers look resurgent, and Iíve got them 2nd in the NFC South. But I just am still having a hard time seeing enough talent there to warrant the postseason. Could easily change in a few weeks. A lot depends on where Chucky is, but letís assume heís there for now. A QB canít be ruled out here. Who is the future? Certainly doesnít seem to be Simms. OL merits consideration only because Sam Baker has fallen. Those are my two main areas of focus. The nod goes to WR if Chucky is here (and QB if Chucky is not). Chucky still needs another playmaker at WR, and someone like Early Doucet may have the skills necessary. Not the pure speed guy he probably wants, but may be too good to pass up. On a side note, if Chucky is there, I could definitely see them picking up Rex Grossman to work with.

Tampa Bay picks: WR Early Doucet, LSU

15. New England f/ San Francisco

New England loses a pick, but gets this one, so they are probably happy with the outcome for now. Where do they look? Likely defense, although I guess you never rule out anything with Belichick. But do they deal with the Asante Samuel situation again this offseason? And they could use some LB youth as usual. Somehow, a corner hasnít come off the board, and I think, if they stay put, grabbing someone like Malcolm Jenkins might be awfully tempting.

That said, itís New England, and one canít help but think that they might look to deal. With several intriguing options on the board (Sam Baker, Chris Long, Malcolm Jenkins and so forth), a lot of possibilities may exist. Also, um, those Qbís havenít come off the board just yet. Hey, itís early, so Iíll have some fun with it

Projected Trade:

New England gets Atlantaís 2 2nd rounders
    Atlanta gets the 15th overall

Reminiscent to the Brady Quinn situation last year, Atlanta may get tempted to move up if Brian Brohm falls. Sure, they have other holes, but getting a QB of the future is always a big concern. Brohm is Petrinoís guy, and while Iím not huge on him, his value likely would be fine here. Chicago is a threat to take a QB, and New England may be open to dealing down, particularly due to the strong 2nd tier in this draft and recouping the ďlostĒ pick.

Atlanta gets: QB Brian Brohm, Louisville

16. Houston

Things really look to be headed up for them, but they are in a tough, tough division. Tired of typing so much, so I see DB/LB as perhaps the top areas of focus. A young runner can likely be found later, and I donít see OL. The nod here goes to Malcolm Jenkins, as Faggins is probably better off as the nickel option in time.

Houston picks: CB Malcolm Jenkins, the Ohio State

17. Washington

The development of Jason Campbell is the biggest thing, although I guess if Joe Gibbs is gone, who becomes HC becomes the biggest thing overall. With Randle El and Moss signed down, along with Cooley and their 2 backs, the only offensive area that may warrant a look is OL, and that seems unlikely this high. Defensively, CB/DL could perhaps get looks. Local guy Chris Long may be an intriguing fit, stout against the run, while still getting a good push, and the nod goes there for now.

Washington picks: DE Chris Long, Virginia

18. Chicago

So Ö Iím either being harsh to my own team (as Iíve been claimed to be at times) or too nice to my own team (which is possible, as they certainly donít look good). But eh, they are here for now. So whatís up? OL help would be nice, and Sam Baker is tempting. But eh, with the Grossman era done, a QB of the future is needed, and Matt Ryan may be too good to pass up here.

Chicago picks: QB Matt Ryan, Boston College

19. Cincinnati

Playing in the toughest division and the tougher conference certainly doesnít help Cincinnati. I see them on the outside looking in again, as Iím not buying that defense as something that can do enough. The inability to contain the run game will hurt in such a tough conference. What to do, though, sitting here? DB seems unlikely, and Iím hard pressed to buy LB here. There doesnít seem a DT worth taking, and letting Peko develop is worth it. So what? Offense and OL? Perhaps. In the end, Iím going DL here, and DE, as I think they have to get some pass rush help. Jackson could go higher than this, as heís gotten off to a good start this year, but obviously, workouts will be the deciding factor.

Cincinnati picks: DE Lawrence Jackson, Southern California

20. Seattle

Iím not sure what to make of this team. Yeah, I have them in the playoffs, but this team just seems off. That said, itís an older team in some respects (and young in some others), but they may be have the ability to step it up as the season progresses. But they are in the playoffs in this setup. So what do they look for? Another team that itís hard for me to figure at this point in time. I canít help but think that they could still use a good runner behind Shaun Alexander. A better pass rusher might be nice as well. Iím really not sure. I figure Iíll hear it for this one, but Sam Baker might be too tempting to pass up here, and Iím not sure why I had him fall.

Seattle picks: OT Sam Baker, Southern California

21. Philadelphia

Iíve got mixed emotions about this club as well. How good are they? Iím just not sure. That said, you donít have to be real good to make the playoffs in the NFC, and Iíve got them in as of now. See Ö not totally based on records. Theyíve done well with their draft picks in building up depth. Two routes of consideration right now, a corner or WR. Partially influenced by history, Iím going cornerback. The nod goes to the raw upside of Justin King.

Philadelphia picks: CB Justin King, Penn State

22. San Diego

Is it completely Norvís fault? Probably not. But if they fail to make the playoffs, I think Norvís gone. But thatís not a consideration as of now. What might they need? This is still a pass D with some holes in it Ö but there doesnít seem to be anyone that stands out in regards to someone that you might think is an upgrade. Weddle likely will take one safety spot. With Michael Turner likely gone, the nod here goes to a RB to protect LT. After further consideration, the nod goes to James Davis with his mix of power and burst.

San Diego picks: RB James Davis, Clemson

23. Arizona

When I started ordering it, I didnít have Arizona in the playoffs. But the more I thought about it, the more I was troubled with the NFC, and more I was troubled with giving Seattle the division. This may change in a few weeks time, but Whisenhunt has given the Cardinals a running identity and showing good balance. So whatís up here? I wonder if an edge guy like Derrick Harvey may draw some consideration.

Arizona picks: DE/OLB Derrick Harvey, Florida

24. Green Bay

Iím still not completely sold on their resurgence, but the good D was expected, and if you figure that a RB steps up down the stretch, or the run game in general, then theyíll be tough to beat, particularly if Favre is patient. A lot depends on Favre, but you figure theyíll give Rodgers a shot before drafting a QB high. RB/TE/CB/S seem to be the potential areas that standout to me. Perhaps in a mild upset, Iím going with RB here. I like Brandon Jackson a lot, but one thing he isnít is explosive. Felix Jones shows a lot of explosion, and heís my nod, perhaps mildly surprising, perhaps not.

Green Bay picks: RB Felix Jones, Arkansas

25. Carolina

This team really is an enigma to me. That said, if they have that strong run game to lean on, they should be good enough to reach the playoffs in the NFC. Their big hole is at safety Ö but is anyone worth it? I guess itís possible they shift someone to safety and draft a CB, but Iím not too radical with my thoughts right now. Ah, heck. Iím having a tough time figuring this out, so what the heck. Iíll go with Jack Ikegwuonu, who can either be shifted to safety, or he can play corner and someone else moves to safety.

Carolina picks: DB Jack Ikegwuonu, Wisconsin

26. Baltimore

Taking way too long to finish this, so um Ö I wouldnít be surprised to see them add another OL to the mix. That said, someone like Quentin Groves might be too intriguing of a fit to pass up here. A bit conflicted here Ö giving the nod to Phillip Wheeler as an ILB to develop and mold.

Baltimore picks: LB Phillip Wheeler, Georgia Tech

27. Denver

The run D has been porous so far, and they need to find a way to clog it up. Alright, late first round, so I usually mix it up a bit more, and I think this mixes it up a bit. Heís stout against the run and has shown an improved push this year, and he has the rumored athletic tools to get better.

Denver picks: DL Maurice Murray, New Mexico State

28. Jacksonville

I was lukewarm about their chances, but if the run D shores up and Garrard is solid, then they suddenly look real good. Tough to figure, but I wonder if they try to find another WR again. I was thinking RB, but changed my mind about it at the end. My nod for now goes to Earl Bennett.

Jacksonville picks: WR Earl Bennett, Vanderbilt

29. San Francisco f/ Indianapolis

I like the Colts, but Pittsburgh and New England have looked awfully good this year. Anyhow, San Francisco owns this pick. I wonder if they find another edge guy to get some pressure. Quentin Groves fell a bit, and perhaps he gets the nod here.

San Francisco picks: DE/OLB Quentin Groves, Auburn

30. Pittsburgh

What a start to the year. Their defense is just flat out nasty right now. Iím thinking OL, although Iíll go with a surprise pick perhaps. I wonder if Jonathan Stewart might be quite tempting here, as someone to share the load with Willie Parker. Good OL talent can be found later.

Pittsburgh picks: RB Jonathan Stewart, Oregon

31. Dallas

I had Dallas and Denver as my preseason picks. Dallas looks like the cream of the crop in the NFC right now. Furthermore, with the extra pick from Cleveland, I had them get aggressive and pick up McFadden. There really isnít a glaring need. I canít help but wonder if CB depth may be an area they look at here, with plenty of solid options on board. Perhaps a guy like South Floridaís Mike Jenkins would fit into the mold of talent that Wade likes at CB.

Dallas picks: CB Mike Jenkins, South Florida

32. New England (forfeited)

I like Jenkins, and definitely wouldnt mind that pick, but apparently, Houston is blatantly copying me by being in love with Fred Bennett, so im not sure CB is a big need, or at least as big as its thought to be. I agree that Faggins is far better suited at Nickel. We really need safety help though, where injuries and uncertainty have plagued an already bad unit back there. SLB would probably be our biggest need on D otherwise.

Comment

Toonster you may not believe it but I love your Oakland pick.A+
      "The liberator who destroys my property, is fighting to save my spirit. The teacher who clears all possessions from my path will set me free."-Tyler Durden

Comment

Great Bucs pick, only I can't see us passing up Brohm.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Excellent Mock. The blue print for all future mock drafters.

Love the analysis and most of the picks are sound.

Comments on the Dallas selection:

McFadden - While he would truly be a dream selection and put Dallas' offense over the top, I feel he is somewhat of a double edged sword. We have all the reason in the world to want him. Julius Jones is sickening to watch and his contract is up at the end of the year. Barber has been outstanding, but I honestly feel he would lose effectiveness in a full time capacity. At the same time, there are many unanswered questions. How would he react in a time share? ...I think I just answered that myself... McFadden currently shares carries with Felix Jones and has shown no signs of being disgruntled. Cool.
          Well, what about money. With the amount of youth on the team and all the extensions that will be coming up, can we really afford to spluge on a RB? That would take out a major chunk of the cap between McFadden and Romo and T-New's new extensions. The RB class appears fairly deep. The Dallas running game is not in perils. Could we go for a cheaper option and pick up a RB later in the draft like Tashard Choice, Mike Hart, Allen Patrick, Yvenson Bernard (a personal fav)... perhaps an underclassman, Jamaal Charles, Ray Rice among others and still maintain a strong running game? I think so. Another issue could be with Barber. He's a RFA at the end of this year and UFA the following year. We want him to resign, no doubt. How would he feel performing on the same level as McFadden and making much less? In order to keep egos in check and salaries reasonable, we may have to avoid the temptation of selecting McFadden. And then there is the need factor. The Dallas offense is not holding us back from being a winning team. The defense on the other hand has real issues. The DL has not been meeting expectations and the secondary is porous. The needs are there. Draft value may not be there, so a trade down may not be out of the question with Dallas picking up a future first next year.

If we do stay at #2 where you project, an OT to replace Flozell Adams who is in the last year of his deal and should not be retained due to his plethora of penalties and deteriorized play.

Mike Jenkins - Dallas has another physical CB from South Florida in Anthony Henry. This could be a possibility with CB being a need. The rookie could be pasted right into the starting nickel spot right off the bat. One guy I like more than Jenkins is Terrell Thomas. I like his fit in this defense. Thoughts?

Comment

I would love that trade for Buffalo

Comment

While I wouldnt mind having the overshadowed RB, Felix Jones, I feel your comments about Jackson are a bit off. Its really hard to explode when 300 pound linemen are in your face. Fortunetly the line is still getting better in run blocking. Like some of the suprise picks, especially Dre Moore

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

Let's see. Random comments first:

1. Can't wait for Saints fans to roll around to this ... or Broncos fans. Couple other teams.

2. As of now, I really don't like this draft. Eh ... where's the impact.

Doingthisinsteadofwork - To be honest, our only disagreement last year was really on Jamarcus Russell (although if memory serves me correctly, I briefly switched to Calvin Johnson in one mock). So, yes, I believe you.

SuperKevin - That really would be ideal for the Bills.

etk - If Chucky is there, I think they wait on QB's, or sign a veteran to fix (Rex Grossman perhaps). If Chucky went QB, my gut instinct would be Matt Ryan, who seems more of a Chucky type QB than Brian Brohm. He already tried fitting someone into his system to mixed reviews (Chris Simms), and I just don't feel that Brohm is a much. Now, if Chucky is gone, then it's all up in the air. But just my take.

Comahan - Yeah I read some Bennett comments as well (chron?). Safety is a bigger concern, but no one is worth it there. And ... who at LB? Connor? He doesn't seem like a guy who stands out, IMO, to the point that he's a solid mid first pick. At least, that's my take right now. I always feel that, for a LB to go mid-first, more often than not, something has to really stand out, and I don't know if there is anything for Connor that fits that mold. Other than that, I gave brief thought to a young RB, and I was somewhat contemplating Sam Baker there just because he fell.

D-Unit - I didn't really look into the financials. I've got a hard time seeing a Jake Long pick by Jerry Jones. I could see OL at 31 (and later obviously). But with Free/Marten getting developed this year, dunno. Just don't see Long. But OL at 2 (or 1)? Just doesn't seem Jerry Jones-ish to me, although Long may actually work for you guys at LT.

Outside of that, nothing else really fits outside McFadden. DL value there is off (and no, I don't see you guys drafting Glenn Dorsey, and yes, I saw that thread). DL value for you guys is probably better in that 2nd/3rd round tiers. Safety value ... well maybe Kenny Phillips, but I don't think he's that good to be worth a 2nd overall. CB value there is bleh for now, IMO, and WR isn't really needed (along with LB). That said, you are right, those Romo/Newman extensions may impact things greatly. I don't think what Barber will want will impact things that much. He's nice, but I don't see him as a break the bank back, whereas McFadden would be potentially.

Anyhow, tis early.
                Can't wait for the comments on the somewhat surprising picks I made.
                Last edited by toonsterwu; 09-25-2007, 10:00 PM. Reason: Typed Bucs when I meant Bills.

Comment

Originally posted by neko4 View Post
                  While I wouldnt mind having the overshadowed RB, Felix Jones, I feel your comments about Jackson are a bit off. Its really hard to explode when 300 pound linemen are in your face. Fortunetly the line is still getting better in run blocking. Like some of the suprise picks, especially Dre Moore
                  Actually, you are right. I should've made a distinction between explosive and speed. He had good 3-cone and shuttle numbers if I remember. Actually, checking on nfldraftscout right now, he had better 3-cone and shuttle numbers than I remembered. They are better than Peterson's and Lynch's. So explosive was the wrong word. That said, I just think that getting someone with a bit more home run speed might be something they look after, and that's what I should've said.

Oh as for Terrell Thomas, I could see him there. But I think Jenkins has better tools, which might give him the nod. Jenkins reminds me a bit of Drayton Florence.

Comment

Originally posted by toonsterwu View Post
                    Actually, you are right. I should've made a distinction between explosive and speed. He had good 3-cone and shuttle numbers if I remember. Actually, checking on nfldraftscout right now, he had better 3-cone and shuttle numbers than I remembered. They are better than Peterson's and Lynch's. So explosive was the wrong word. That said, I just think that getting someone with a bit more home run speed might be something they look after, and that's what I should've said.

Oh as for Terrell Thomas, I could see him there. But I think Jenkins has better tools, which might give him the nod. Jenkins reminds me a bit of Drayton Florence.
                    Well im a big Cason and Lowerey fan, but any good CB could do

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

Originally posted by toonsterwu View Post
                      D-Unit - I didn't really look into the financials. I've got a hard time seeing a Jake Long pick by Jerry Jones. I could see OL at 31 (and later obviously). But with Free/Marten getting developed this year, dunno. Just don't see Long. But OL at 2 (or 1)? Just doesn't seem Jerry Jones-ish to me, although Long may actually work for you guys at LT.

Outside of that, nothing else really fits outside McFadden. DL value there is off (and no, I don't see you guys drafting Glenn Dorsey, and yes, I saw that thread). DL value for you guys is probably better in that 2nd/3rd round tiers. Safety value ... well maybe Kenny Phillips, but I don't think he's that good to be worth a 2nd overall. CB value there is bleh for now, IMO, and WR isn't really needed (along with LB). That said, you are right, those Romo/Newman extensions may impact things greatly. I don't think what Barber will want will impact things that much. He's nice, but I don't see him as a break the bank back, whereas McFadden would be potentially.
                      haha... you saw that thread? I know I'm trippin' in there, just bored with nothing else to debate about... it's fun taking the unconventional side once in a while.

I'm thinking that the CLE pick is more like 4-6 than #2, but if indeed we have the #2 pick, I think Jerry in his wheelin' and dealin' would try to trade down and get more picks. With who is the question.

Comment

I think Sam Baker would make a lot of sense there, It would give the bucs the best young O-line in football

Comment

Like the jets pick, good job on the mock

Sig by Me

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                            haha... you saw that thread? I know I'm trippin' in there, just bored with nothing else to debate about... it's fun taking the unconventional side once in a while.

I'm thinking that the CLE pick is more like 4-6 than #2, but if indeed we have the #2 pick, I think Jerry in his wheelin' and dealin' would try to trade down and get more picks. With who is the question.
                            ah, trading down ... yeah i probably should've given that more consideration. I just have this image of Jerry going after the big splash ... but trading down is also possible, especially if they don't drop too far. And there might be some teams interested in moving up, with the limited number of guys that really look like impact players.

Comment

Originally posted by Chucky View Post
                              I think Sam Baker would make a lot of sense there, It would give the bucs the best young O-line in football
                              It's certainly a tempting idea ... but at what point do you start looking for the playmaker that you guys are lacking? I mean, sure, when you pick mid-round receivers, you can find sleepers or (and not to pick on the Titans or anything), you can have a bunch of Brandon Jones, Courtney Roby, Roydell Williams, and Jonathan Orr types, some raw materials, but if they develop, it'll take time.

I do think one thing - If Chucky is there, and DeSean Jackson is there, I've got an awfully hard time seeing them pass up Jackson.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information