No announcement yet.

Patriots-Lions 2008 NFL Mock Draft #4

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patriots-Lions 2008 NFL Mock Draft #4

Ok, I tried 4 Rounds this time. Probably a little too many, but I want to see how well I got some of the team needs. Some values are off, I have guys going in the 4th Round that are probably late 2nd/early 3rd kind of guys. As always, constructive criticism only and suggest replacement picks for the ones you don't like. Enjoy!

Round 1
    1. Miami Dolphins - Chris Long, DE/LB, Virginia

I think this pick makes the most sense. Long is arguably the best defensive player in the draft, and a good fit for the Dolphins, especially if they stay with the 3-4. I don’t see Vernon Gholston as a #1 overall type player and Dolphins look solid at LT and RB.

2. St. Louis Rams - Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State

I’ll admit, I think this is too high for Gholston, but I think this pick makes the most sense. I don’t see Dorsey here because the Rams drafted Carriker last year and I think they’ll wait to address the OL situation. I also can’t see them letting Steven Jackson walk when his contract is up, in favor of McFadden.

3. Atlanta Falcons – Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College

I know many Falcons fans aren’t a fan of this pick, but right now I think it makes the most sense. I do have to agree, in that I’m not a huge fan of Matt Ryan, but I still see the team going in this direction. The Falcons have hired a new GM and are in the process of hiring a new coach. With the regime change, I can see a franchise QB here.

4. Oakland Raiders – Glenn Dorsey, DT, Louisiana State

This pick was a toss up between Dorsey and McFadden, but I think the Raiders would opt for Dorsey. Oakland was 31st against the run last season, and the poor play of their DL was a big reason why. I’ve also heard the Raiders are trying to resign Justin Fargas, so I think they’ll hold off on RB.

5. Kansas City Chiefs – Jake Long, OT, Michigan

The Chiefs once had one of, if not the best OL in all of football. However, after leading the league in sacks given up, that seems like a long time ago. Jake Long would provide a much needed upgrade at LT and not only help lower the opponent’s sack totals, but give Larry Johnson a stud run-blocker for years to come.

6. New York Jets – Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas

Thomas Jones wasn’t what the Jets were hoping for when they traded for him, not to mention that he’s going to be 30 when next season starts. There are concerns on the defensive side of the ball, but adding one of draft’s best playmakers is too much of an opportunity to pass up.

7. New England Patriots (f/ SF) – Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida

This is probably a little high for Mike Jenkins, but it’s not too high for New England to pass him up. I don’t think any prospect was helped more by an underclassmen staying in school than Mike Jenkins was when Malcolm Jenkins decided to stay for his senior year. The Patriots will more than likely need to replace Asante Samuel in the off-season and are pretty weak after him.

8. Baltimore Ravens – Derrick Harvey, DE/LB, Florida

I think the Ravens would prefer to go for a CB here, but after Mike Jenkins was selected one pick before them, they have to look elsewhere. Brian Brohm was a thought here, but I really think this is too high for him. Baltimore finished in the bottom half of the league in sacks last year, and with the possible departure of Terrell Suggs, I think a pass rusher like Harvey makes the most sense.

9. Cincinnati Bengals – Sedrick Ellis, DT, Southern California

The Bengals had one of the worst defenses in football last season, so I expect this pick will be on that side of the ball. I considered Kenny Phillips, but I decided to go with Ellis here based on value. The addition to Ellis to the DL should boost their sack total, which was dead last in the NFL last season.

10. New Orleans Saints – Keith Rivers, LB, Southern California

The Saints have been looking for a stud LB for years now, without much success. Well, they may just get their guy with Keith Rivers. This may be a little high for Rivers, but after just missing out on Sedrick Ellis, he’s likely the next best thing.

11. Buffalo Bills – Kentwan Balmer, DT, North Carolina

This is a very difficult position for Buffalo to be in. They’d probably prefer to address WR, LB, CB, or even DE here. However, the value of those positions is really bad here. DeSean Jackson and Malcolm Kelly aren’t worth it this high, and Leodis McKelvin doesn’t fit the scheme. Balmer gives Buffalo another body on the DL who could rotate with Tripplett and McCargo.

12. Denver Broncos – Kenny Phillips, FS, Miami (FL)

There are a number of directions the Broncos could go here, but in the end I feel like taking Kenny Phillips is a no-brainer. I don’t see any value at some other positions of need and Phillips is arguably BPA here and fills one of their bigger needs.

13. Carolina Panthers – Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State

Carolina will probably look long and hard at Brian Brohm to be their QB of the future, but in the end OT might just be too important. Both LT Travelle Wharton and RT Jordan Gross are free agents this off-season. Many expect Carolina to only re-sign one of them, if either. Although a bit raw, Clady would help ease the loss of whichever one they let go.

14. Chicago Bears – Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh

Many people think the Bears will take a QB here, but for some reason I just don’t see it. I think if they go QB, they’ll wait until the 2nd or 3rd Round. The Bears’ OL was one of their biggest weaknesses last season and adding a guy like Otah, who could play RT or LT, would be a big help.

15. Detroit Lions – Jerod Mayo, LB, Tennessee

This seems a little too high for Mayo, but the Lions ran into some bad luck with the way the draft fell in front of them. Rumors of them going RB are out there, but with all their needs and depth at the position they’ll probably wait. Detroit desperately needs at CB, but the only one of value here (Leodis McKelvin) is the exact opposite of a fit for the Tampa-2.

16. Arizona Cardinals – Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy

My first thought was to go with a DE/LB hybrid, but I quickly reconsidered. I honestly can’t see Groves or Ellis this high, and McKelvin is very good value at this point. This pick would give the Cardinals some options in the defensive backfield, as they could move Antrel Rolle to FS or Eric Green to Nickel CB.

17. Minnesota Vikings – DeSean Jackson, WR, California

With their late season run towards the playoffs, I think the Vikings opt to make a run again next year rather than draft Brian Brohm here. Tarvaris Jackson can play well enough for this team to make the playoffs, but he’s going to need some weapons. Jackson is the top receiver in the draft and arguably the top playmaker, although he is still very raw and 17 may be a little too high.

18. Houston Texans – Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois

Houston gets really lucky here as Rashard falls right into their laps. The Texans have more than a couple needs, but they haven’t had a franchise RB since their inception. It was a tough call with Jonathan Stewart on the board, but I think the Texans would take the more complete back in Mendenhall.

19. Philadelphia Eagles – Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas

I think Talib’s stock is completely dependant on how he runs in the 40. If he’s in the mid-4.4 range, I think this is good value. Philly has plenty of needs, but depth at CB is near the top. Sheldon Brown and Lito Sheppard are a good tandem, but they both have hard time staying healthy for a full season.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville

I have a feeling I’m going to hear it from Bucs fans, but I think this pick is a possibility. There is no doubt that Brohm is excellent value right here. Jeff Garcia is approaching 40 and I have a feeling that the Bucs aren’t going to turn the franchise over to Luke McCown or Bruce Gradkowski. Tampa may have bigger needs, but with the depth at WR, DE, and CB I think they can afford to make this pick.

21. Washington Redskins – Calais Campbell, DE, Miami (FL)

If the Redskins do indeed part ways with Cornelius Griffin, than I think this could be a guy like Pat Sims or Dre Moore could be the pick. However, I’m sticking with Campbell to take over at one of the DE spots. This seems a bit high for Campbell considering the season he had, but his rumored athleticism may warrant getting pick this high.

22. Seattle Seahawks – Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon

I think Seattle may have just got the steal of the draft right here. There have been rumors that Shaun Alexander will not be back with the Seahawks next season. Not sure how true those are considering his contract, but it’s possible. Even if Alexander stays, he is going to be 31 before the 2008 season and had drastically declined the last few years.

23. Dallas Cowboys (f/ CLE) – Jack Ikegwuonu, CB, Wisconsin

Many Cowboys fans are furious with Jacque Reeves as their nickel back and Anthony Henry is getting up there in age and has struggled with injuries throughout his career. Ikegwuonu is a big corner with very good speed. I think this is good value for him, as long as his character issues check out, which most people feel they will.

24. Pittsburgh Steelers – Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College

Many people are down on Cherilus after a poor senior year, but to be honest he just isn’t a fit at LT. However, he is an excellent prospect at RT and that’s where he’d likely play in the pros. The Steelers are expected to lose one or more of their starting OL and this pick would not only ease the loss, but possibly upgrade the line.

25. Tennessee Titans – Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma

In his first two seasons in the NFL, Vince Young has really struggled as a passer. Many have blamed this on his receiving corps. In fact, one could probably argue that the Titans have the worst group of WR’s in the entire league. Malcolm Kelly is a legit future #1 who has a great combination of size and speed. This selection will finally give Vince Young a go-to guy.

26. New York Giants – Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt

I first looked at the possibilities at LB and CB. However, when I couldn’t find anyone of value I looked at OT, and I think Chris Williams would be a good fit here. David Diehl played well at LT last season, but ultimately I think he fist better at his natural position of LG. Adding a potential LT like Williams could essentially upgrade the Giants’ OL in two spots.

27. San Diego Chargers – Reggie Smith, CB, Oklahoma

San Diego’s biggest needs may very well be CB and FS. So, why not get a player who can play both? With the possible departure of nickel back Drayton Florence and the poor play of Marlon McCree, the Chargers can try Smith at both spots and play him where he fits best. If Reggie Smith runs a 4.3, like he has been rumored to, he could be gone by now.

28. Jacksonville Jaguars – Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson

Other than maybe WR, I think DE is the Jags’ biggest need. Jacksonville has drafted pass-catchers with three of their past four 1st Round picks. I just cannot imagine them taking a page out of Matt Millen’s book and making it four out of five. Merling is very underrated and was overshadowed by teammate Gaines Adams last year, and never got the recognition he deserved this year.

29. Dallas Cowboys – Felix Jones, RB, Arkansas

I really didn’t want to make this pick, mainly because it’s become cliché. However, I really didn’t see anything else I liked at this point. I know Dallas needs OL, but I’m not sure Sam Baker’s ceiling at LT is big enough to warrant going this high. There is WR value, but I’m not sure I see a fit. The DL value here is sketchy at best. I think this picks does make sense, as Jones compliments Marion Barber well.

30. San Francisco 49ers (f/ IND) – Quentin Groves, LB, Auburn

San Francisco’s pass rush was pretty poor in 2007. Part of that was due to Manny Lawson going down with an injury. However, even with Lawson slated to come back next season; the 49ers could use someone opposite him. This may be a little high for Groves right now, but if he puts up the numbers some expect him to at the combine, he could go even higher.

31. Green Bay Packers – Dan Connor, LB, Penn State

I know everyone thinks Green Bay is going to take a CB, but it just didn’t work out that way with the way the draft fell. With the depth at corner and the Packers not being desperate for one, I think they can afford to wait. Connor is arguably BPA at this point, and he can play all three LB positions in a 4-3 defense. This pick solidifies Green Bay’s LB corps as one of the best in football.

32. New England PatriotsForfeited (NFL Rules Violation)

Round 2
    33. Miami Dolphins – Martellus Bennett, TE, Texas A&M
    34. St. Louis Rams – Sam Baker, OT, Southern California
    35. Oakland Raiders – Donnie Avery, WR, Houston
    36. Kansas City Chiefs – Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tennessee State
    37. New York Jets – Dre Moore, DE, Maryland
    38. Atlanta Falcons – Pat Sims, DT, Auburn
    39. Baltimore Ravens – Andre Woodson, QB, Kentucky
    40. San Francisco 49ers – Mario Manningham, WR, Michigan
    41. New Orleans Saints – Patrick Lee, CB, Auburn
    42. Buffalo Bills – Fred Davis, TE, Southern California
    43. Denver Broncos – Curtis Lofton, LB, Oklahoma
    44. Carolina Panthers – Trevor Laws, DT, Notre Dame
    45. Chicago Bears – Joe Flacco, QB, Delaware
    46. Detroit Lions – Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona
    47. Cincinnati Bengals – Ali Highsmith, LB, Louisiana State
    48. Minnesota Vikings – Lawrence Jackson, DE, Southern California
    49. Atlanta Falcons (f/ HOU) – Carl Nicks, OT, Nebraska
    50. Philadelphia Eagles – James Hardy, WR, Indiana
    51. Arizona Cardinals – Chris Ellis, DE/LB, Virginia Tech
    52. Washington Redskins – Tracy Porter, CB, Indiana
    53. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan State
    54. Cleveland Browns – Chris Johnson, RB, East Carolina
    55. Pittsburgh Steelers – Limas Sweed, WR, Texas
    56. Tennessee Titans – Marcus Harrison, DT, Arkansas
    57. New York Giants – Justin King, CB, Penn State
    58. Seattle Seahawks – Martin Rucker, TE, Missouri
    59. Jacksonville Jaguars – Early Doucet, WR, Louisiana State
    60. Miami Dolphins (f/ SD) – Ezra Butler, LB, Nevada
    61. Indianapolis Colts – Jamaal Charles, RB, Texas
    62. Dallas Cowboys – Anthony Collins, OT, Kansas
    63. Green Bay Packers – Brandon Flowers, CB, Virginia Tech
    64. New England Patriots – Beau Bell, LB, Nevada – Las Vegas

Round 3
    65. Miami Dolphins – Jamar Adams, SS, Michigan
    66. St. Louis Rams – Erin Henderson, LB, Maryland
    67. Kansas City Chiefs – Frank Okam, DT, Texas
    68. New York Jets – Kirk Barton, OT, Ohio State
    69. Atlanta Falcons – Ray Rice, RB, Rutgers
    70. New England Patriots (f/ OAK) – Shawn Crable, LB, Michigan
    71. San Francisco 49ers – Brandon Albert, OG, Virginia
    72. Buffalo Bills (f/ BAL) – Philip Wheeler, LB, Georgia Tech
    73. Buffalo Bills – DeJaun Tribble, CB, Boston College
    74. Minnesota Vikings (f/ DEN) – Quintin Demps, FS, Texas – El Paso
    75. Carolina Panthers – Colt Brennan, QB, Hawaii
    76. Chicago Bears – Kevin Smith, RB, Central Florida
    77. Detroit Lions – Tony Hills, OT, Texas
    78. Cincinnati Bengals – Jason Jones, DE, Eastern Michigan
    79. New Orleans Saints – Earl Bennett, WR, Vanderbilt
    80. Houston Texans – Charles Godfrey, CB, Iowa
    81. Philadelphia Eagles – Tommy Blake, DE, Texas Christian
    82. Arizona Cardinals – Steve Slaton, RB, West Virginia
    83. Minnesota Vikings – Oneil Cousins, OT, Texas – El Paso
    84. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Darrell Robertson, DE, Georgia Tech
    85. Washington Redskins – Adarius Bowman, WR, Oklahoma State
    86. Pittsburgh Steelers – Mike Pollack, OC, Arizona State
    87. Tennessee Titans – D.J. Hall, WR, Alabama
    88. New York Giants – Xavier Adibi, LB, Virginia Tech
    89. Seattle Seahawks – Chilo Rachal, OG, Southern California
    90. Cleveland Browns – Ahtyba Rubin, DT, Iowa State
    91. Chicago Bears (f/ SD) – DaJuan Morgan, SS, North Carolina State
    92. Jacksonville Jaguars – DeMario Pressley, DT, North Carolina State
    93. Dallas Cowboys – Lavelle Hawkins, WR, California
    94. Indianapolis Colts – John Carlson, TE, Notre Dame
    95. Green Bay Packers – Jermichael Finley, TE, Texas
    96. New England Patriots – Heath Benedict, OG, Newberry

Round 4

97. Miami Dolphins – Richard Clebert, DT, South Florida
    98. St. Louis Rams – Adrian Arrington, WR, Michigan
    99. New York Jets – Cliff Avril, LB, Purdue
    100. Atlanta Falcons – Jonathan Goff, LB, Vanderbilt
    101. Oakland Raiders – Chad Rinehart, OT, Northern Iowa
    102. Kansas City Chiefs – Chad Henne, QB, Michigan
    103. Baltimore Ravens – Terrell Thomas, CB, Southern California
    104. San Francisco 49ers – Maurice Murray, DE, New Mexico State
    105. Denver Broncos – Duane Brown, OT, Virginia Tech
    106. Carolina Panthers – Thomas DeCoud, FS, California
    107. Chicago Bears – Roy Schuening, OG, Oregon State
    108. Detroit Lions – Michael Hart, RB, Michigan
    109. Cincinnati Bengals – Dustin Keller, TE, Purdue
    110. New Orleans Saints – Andre Fluellen, DT, Florida State
    111. Buffalo Bills – Harry Douglas, WR, Louisville
    112. Philadelphia Eagles – King Dunlap, OT, Auburn
    113. Arizona Cardinals – Tyrell Johnson, FS, Arkansas State
    114. Minnesota Vikings – Dennis Dixon, QB, Oregon
    115. Houston Texans – Barry Richardson, OT, Clemson
    116. Denver Broncos (f/ WAS) – Tavares Gooden, LB, Miami (FL)
    117. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Trae Williams, CB, South Florida
    118. Tennessee Titans – Chevis Jackson, CB, Louisiana State
    119. New York Giants – Red Bryant, DT, Texas A&M
    120. Seattle Seahawks – Jeremy Leman, LB, Illinois
    121. Cleveland Browns – Kendall Langford, DE, Hampton
    122. Pittsburgh Steelers – Titus Brown, DE/LB, Mississippi State
    123. Jacksonville Jaguars – Josh Barrett, SS, Arizona State
    124. San Diego ChargersForfeited (Paul Oliver, 2007 Supplemental Draft)
    125. Indianapolis Colts – Bruce Davis, DE, California – Los Angeles
    126. Dallas Cowboys – Marcus Griffin, SS, Texas
    127. Green Bay Packers – John Greco, OT, Toledo
    128. New England Patriots – Kerry Brown, OG, Appalachian State

I like Oaklands draft though I dont like Avery much and would rather have Dre Moore.
    "The liberator who destroys my property, is fighting to save my spirit. The teacher who clears all possessions from my path will set me free."-Tyler Durden

For the bucs

1. Bucs fans on this board are pretty much split in half when it comes to Brohm. I personally love the pick, he is a good fit for the WCO, and will give Gruden something to work with, and someone to turn into a star

2. Would probably prefer somelike Early Doucet, although Devin Thomas would still be a decent pick

3. Awful pick Robertson projects as a RDE, and the bucs already have one in last years 4 overall pick, gaines adams. Not to mention Greg White who had over 8 sacks last year.

4. Trae Williams- Dont no too much about him, but fills a need. Chevis Jackson might fit in the cover 2 a bit better. But as said i dont no too much about williams

I'm a Bucs fan and I don't hate the Brohm pick. We need a long term solution at QB and McCown most likely isn't it (hopefully I'm wrong). I would rather go Deshawn Jackson, left tackle, or Campbell in the 1st, but the way this mock fell out, Brohm seems like a decent pick. Just as long as we don't take Andre Woodson in the 1st.

1. Replace Brohm with Campbell.
          2. Perfect
          3. Josh Johnson please.
          4. Perfect

Carolina going DT over WR or safety is insane.

We've got an SS in chris harris who seems like a keeper but literally no one after him.

At WR we've got Smith, Jarrett, Carter and Colbert, two of those guys are free agents and Jarrett seems to still be a season away from getting regular play. We need another playmaker there or at TE to help out whomever will be at QB. I like the first and third picks, but the round 2 picks makes 0 sense.

Jenkins, Kemoeatu, Damoine Lewis is a great 3 tackle rotation.

I like Jackson all right, but I'd rather have Chris Ellis in the second round than Lawrence Jackson.

Decent Miami draft

Safety is not a huge need for us, if we re-sign Yeremiah Bell and if he comes back from his injury ok, which most are expecting him to. Also, Jason Allen was starting to show flashes late in the season of what made him our first rounder in 06.

That being said.... i would rather go with EJ Henderson there and Collins instead of Butler in the second.

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. Jaylon Smith 2. Artie Burns 3. Landon Turner

Love the Chargers pick. Smith could be a perfect nickel guy for us and could eventually be groomed to take over at FS.

Thanks to Bantx for the cool sig.
                  RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21

I think as a whole, your Buc draft is reasonably sound. I personally don't mind Brohm in the first round and like him as a prospect, although Campbell would definitely be more tempting. Thomas in the 2nd is fine and realistically, any of 4-6 receivers could be selected in that position come draft day. Not a huge fan of the 3rd pick, I would much rather take a chance on Pressley there who I really like. Trae Williams is a good pick in the 4th and I think he would be relatively suited to play under Kiffin.

Not a bad job. Love Kelly in the first. It is obvious WR is a need, and he fits the bill in my opinion. I like the fact that he's sure handed.

Harrison in 2 is fine. I think there are a couple of better players that went right after him, but we need another body at DT. Randy Starks is garbage and should be gone, so that leaves us with little beyond the 2 starters. FA could change this, but that's the case with every pick.

3rd rounder is a bit iffy to me. I just don't see us bringing in another young WR after doing it in the first. Brandon Jones and Roydell have shown enough to stick as at least rotational guys, and in Roydell's case, probably a #2 or #3. Then with the addition of Paul Williams in the 3rd round last year and now Malcolm Kelly in the 1st this year, there would seem to be a logjam. If Kelly is to be the pick, and we still want to add another WR, it should be a vet in my opinion. Also throw in Justin Gage who had almost 800 yards this year and is still pretty young.

I think a guy like John Carlson would be perfect at that spot with Troupe being a FA and struggling with playing time anyway.

4th rounder seems fine as well. Don't know how well Chevis plays special teams, but that is something we desperately need...some more fast, aggressive guys to play on our coverage teams. Most of our current backup corners don't it well (Rey Hill and Kelly Herndon).

I love the Saints first round pick.

In the second round I'd rather have Curtis Lofton. He'd shore up the linebackers and give us a great young starting linebacker group in Fujita, Lofton, and Rivers.

In the third I'd rather have Charles Godfrey.

I like Fluellen in the fourth. Good selection.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                        WHO DAT!

Wow. I love it.

ehh...Chad Henne...Josh Johnson should probably the pick there, more upside

sig by BoneKrusher

Originally posted by BuckNaked
                            Ok I'd almost rather spank my meat with sandpaper at this point.

Good Ravens draft, but questionable 1st round pick. Good Texans draft as well.

Baltimore: 7-4

Debug Information