Thuley's Mock Draft 1.0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thuley's Mock Draft 1.0

Started this on Monday before the senior bowl started...a couple of things I didn't like...but figured I would get it up...obviously more to come when i get some more time.

01. Miami - Chris Long, DE/OLB, Virginia
    Looking at Parcells to go with a slight surprise here...probably doesn't have the value to go first overall in a 2-gap scheme as a downlineman...but with Parcells successful conversion of Greg Ellis to SOLB he takes a chance in a guy who is athletic enough to make the transition.
    02. St. Louis - Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU
    STL could probably go a different direction here...but Dorsey is too good of value to pass up.
    03. Oakland - Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas
    Oakland is a hard pick to peg...this is probably just a bit to high for Ellis and McFadden is my #1 prospect. Even with the emergence of Fargas find it hard to believe you can pass on a runner like McFadden.
    04. Atlanta - Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State
    Bit of a surprise here...but the simple answer is Clady has more upside on the left side thus he goes higher than Long.
    05. Kansas City - Jake Long, OT, Michigan
    Long is a bit underrated but is the perfect fit for the Chiefs, my only concern is what happens with a new OL coach coming in scheme wise.
    06. New York Jets - Vernon Gholston, DE/OLB, Ohio State
    The Jets luck out a bit and get a edge rusher out of the top 5. Gholston can be "that guy" in the 3-4 for them.
    07. New England (from San Francisco) - Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy
    Big projection here...but come post combine/pro-day I think we'll all have McKelvin in out top 10's. He just has that rare combination of speed to mix with decent size and good run support.
    08. Baltimore - Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College
    Baltimore probably has more pressing needs...but the top QB on the board and a new coach coming in probably wants to get his guy.
    09. Cincinnati - Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC
    Ellis might just be the guy who can give this front 7 a name....Ellis is a high motor guy that should really help push the pocket in the middle.
    10. New Orleans - Mike Jenkins, CB, USF
    Another year New Orleans passes on LB in the first round...not that there is any value here in the first place but address a huge need with Jenkins...who has the ability to really strengthen that secondary. Nice young core with Bullock/Young/and Jenkins
    11. Buffalo - Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas
    Might be a little high for Talib...but if he does run a sub 4.45 like the rumors say I think top 15 isn't a huge reach with his size...a great fit in the cover 2 here.
    12. Denver - Kenny Phillips, S, Miami
    I was tempted to go a couple of different positions here...but Phillips just has too high of a ceiling for Denver to pass on.
    13. Carolina - Reggie Smith, S, Oklahoma
    This will be the reach of the draft in my opinion...Smith probably doesn't have this value as a CB...but he and Phillips are clearly in another tier than the rest of the safety prospects...and if they don't take him now I don't think they get a safety of this calibur later in the draft....bottom line is the need/value outweighs other needs.
    14. Chicago - Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville
    Was really tempted to go RB here...but Brohm is just too solid of a prospect to pass on this late in the first round...I've compaired his release to Carson Palmer and while Brohm isn't quite that prospect he has been a top rated QB at every level.
    15. Detroit - Derek Harvey, DE, Florida
    Hard to peg detroit here, I really wanted to go OL...just couldn't buy the fit...Harvey has boardline top 10 talent and might just be too much of a pressure player to pass on.
    16. Arizona - Jeffrey Otah, OT, Pittsburgh
    I really don't like Otah as a prospect but I don't think you can argue the fit...just makes too much sense to keep on building up the OL in Arizona.
    17. Minnesota - Christopher Williams, OT, Vanderbilt
    Bit of a surprise to me...But Williams might just be the answer on the right side...although the right side of the line slowly improved towards the end of the year...Williams just has too much talent to pass.
    18. Houston - Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois
    Orginially I had Baker going here...but the running game cost this team a playoff chance along with some injuries...Mendenhall is rated as my 2nd back...and really think he can be a big time NFL back..so while the system believes backs can be found later the value is just too good here.
    19. Philadelphia - Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma
    OL was a thought here but just didn't see the match since it's somewhat depleted. Kelly could probably step on the field right away and give McNabb a target who can seperate from coverage...TE was also a slight thought.
    20. Tampa Bay - DeSean Jackson, WR, California
    I really don't see Jackson falling this far in the draft...post workouts I look for him to be a top 15 lock...but with the slight weight concerns...and the disappointing senior campaign maybe this is about the right position for him.
    21. Washington - Calais Campbell, DE, Miami
    Campbell this far could turn out to be a steal...I think he could possibly still got top 10 similar to Jamaal Anderson last year...but seems some people are questioning his height as a concern which could lead to a slight drop.
    22. Dallas (from Cleveland) - Jack Ikegwuonu, CB, Wisconsin
    Ike's stock probably isn't this high right now...but I fully expect a sub 4.4 40 which could potentially land him even higher than this. But with his size and jr. season Jack showed that he can play at a high level...fits perfect into Wade's mold of corner...big and physical...character concerns might be the reason he doesn't go top 15.
    23. Pittsburgh - Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College
    While I'm not extremely high on Cherilus he is a NFL ready prospect who could step in day one and contribute on the right side...and he fits into the pittsburgh mold of a big physical mauling OL...lets not forget about the BC lineman trend.
    24. Tennessee - Limas Sweed, WR, Texas
    I looked everywhere to not make this pick...everything just makes too much sense...cason is a slight thought if Pacman leaves.
    25. Seattle - Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon
    Not sure if I can buy RB over TE...but it seems every year I address the TE position and every year it stays the same...Stewart would thrive in Seattle and already has the fan base.
    26. New York Giants - Dan Connor, OLB, Penn State
    This was one of the hardest picks for me to make...I think Rivers is the better LB on the board but Connor fit the hole better and is such a proven player I think he may earn his spot here.
    27. Jacksonville - Mario Manningham, WR, Michigan
    I really think this is a bad move for Jacksonville...but with little to no needs and a void to get a WR to stretch the field I wasn't left with a lot of options. Manningham has huge concerns about his character right now...so as long as he keeps those straight I think he is a realistic shot in the 1st round...but it could definately turn south for him.
    28. San Diego - Jerod Mayo, ILB, Tennessee
    I love the fit here...Mayo is a bit of a unknown to a few people right now...but with his workouts I think 1st round consideration is a thought. Mayo can go sideline to sideline and get after the passer so just a perfect fit to me.
    29. Dallas - Felix Jones, RB, Arkansas
    Not sure I buy Dallas going RB this early with the rumors that MB3 is going to be getting a 30 million dollar contract..but Jones has value here and could be that change of pace back regaurdless.
    30. San Francisco (from Indianapolis) - Andre Woodson, QB, Kentucky
    Surprised myself here...I really think that after the senior bowl Nolan might realize the kind of upside Woodson has and take a chance. Smith clearly had a down season and maybe a little push helps the cause. This team has a few needs but those can be filled later.
    31. Green Bay - Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona
    Cason is probably the best pure corner in this draft...and although he isn't as big or physical as Harris and Woodson he can jam a WR at the LOS just fine...would be a great nickel back and probably the best corner trio in the league.
    32. New England (pick forfeited)
    33. Miami - Sam Baker, OT, USC
    Miami gets a slight steal here...this pick reminds me a lot of Jacob Rogers from USC back when Parcells was with the cowboys...a middle round USC tackle drops into the 2nd round...I just don't think with the weak OL that Miami has that they could pass on a talent like Baker.
    Last edited by thule; 01-24-2008, 07:48 PM.

Hate the Connor pick I'd rather Rivers, or an OT

Comment

Originally posted by Damix View Post
      Hate the Connor pick I'd rather Rivers, or an OT
      Ya rivers was definately a thought there...I just had a slight feeling that he might get overshadowed at the senior bowl..clearly I was wrong here...I had him about the 11-15 range in most of my previous mocks to buffalo but I just couldn't justify him going as high before pre-season...my next one will probably have rivers going before you select...and the OT class is weak right now...Nicks is a thought now with his senior bowl..but I'm still not sure if he projects to the first round. Connor however just seemed to me like he would be such a solid fit on that defense on the strong-side I just couldn't justify passing him up.

Comment

give us Jonathon Stewart/McKelvin/Otah

fenikz

"Pride comes before the fall" - Mark Dantonio

35-21

Comment

Lions that is

fenikz

35-21

Comment

Originally posted by asmitty45 View Post
            give us Jonathon Stewart/McKelvin/Otah
            No way from my projections will I have Stewart going top 20...just doesn't have those type of skills and played is a sketchy system.

McKelvin is a great prospect but your not going to get the most out of his athletic ability in the cover 2...I don't think you can take him there...he isn't strong enough against the run.

Otah is a long hard thought...and probably the right pick...but every year i put the Lions on someone who I think they should pick and they tend to go the other way...so while I like the fit I just can't buy them going that direction yet...as crazy as that sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by thule View Post
              No way from my projections will I have Stewart going top 20...just doesn't have those type of skills and played is a sketchy system.

McKelvin is a great prospect but your not going to get the most out of his athletic ability in the cover 2...I don't think you can take him there...he isn't strong enough against the run.

Otah is a long hard thought...and probably the right pick...but every year i put the Lions on someone who I think they should pick and they tend to go the other way...so while I like the fit I just can't buy them going that direction yet...as crazy as that sounds.
              Ok so you dont like stewart, i can live with that, i just love him but we dont really need him.

The reason i like McKelvin is because there is no one on the Lions who can field a punt, and I think he has a lot of room to learn coming from a small school, so that can change. He'd be the one I'd go with

Otah, as you said is probably the right pick. But I'd love Mckelvin. Can't complain about Harvey i guess though.

fenikz

35-21

Comment

Originally posted by asmitty45 View Post
                Ok so you dont like stewart, i can live with that, i just love him but we dont really need him.

The reason i like McKelvin is because there is no one on the Lions who can field a punt, and I think he has a lot of room to learn coming from a small school, so that can change. He'd be the one I'd go with

Otah, as you said is probably the right pick. But I'd love Mckelvin. Can't complain about Harvey i guess though.
                My problem with McKelvin in the cover 2 is usually you have strong corners against the run so you don't give up the outside...while McKelvin isn't a guy who can't tackle...I haven't seen him as a guy who goes for contact...he likes to play off and your his athletic ability to have the advantage. In a cover 2 scheme he is going to be asked to play at the LOS jam and release 80% of the time...this doesn't play into his skill set...so while I think McKelvin is a top 15 talent...I don't think his value translates that high on a cover 2 team.

Comment

Okay Ravens pick, good Houston pick.

Baltimore: 7-4

Comment

With Harvey, Smith, and Phillips gone already Chris Williams looks like a solid pick.

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

I really dont see Rivers falling out of Round 1.
                      I like Rivers, Talib, and Malcolm Kelly at 11

Originally Posted by scottyboy
                      my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
                      But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons

Comment

Not a lot of surprises here in the mid-late 1st. Chris Williams, though, is more of a Left Tackle prospect than right. He has excellent feet and is very athletic for his size; however, he lacks power as a run blocker. So for #17 you may want to look at more of a RT guy, such as Gosder Cherilus.

In my personal opinion, Antoine Cason is more likely to wind up in the 3rd Round and Calais Campbell will fall out of the first as well. As I said though, that's personal opinion.

Sedrick Ellis is a tremendous pick at #9, but I'd like someone to mix it up, so that I don't get my hopes up hah. A guy like a Kentwan Balmer or Phillip Merling would be a little reach, but the Bengals don't hesitate to reach at a player who fits their needs. Not your fault though for not mixing it up, it's a great pick.

In the end, I'd like you (or anyone making a mock draft) to mix it up a bit, throw a little more surprises at us. Take a 3rd round guy and throw him in the first, why not? It happens every year. You mixed it up near the top with Clady in the Top 5, Talib at 11, and McKelvin in the Top 10, which is definitely intruiging and seeing as they are high upside players, I wouldn't be surprised. Overall, not bad at all.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
                        - For daily NFL draft coverage:
                        www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

No complaints from me about the Buc pick.

Comment

Otah is an ok pick, he is a tremendous talent and if Grimm was picking i'm sure he would take him but he isn't and we have bigger needs, Give us Jonathan Stewart there

Comment

Originally posted by Bills2083 View Post
                              I really dont see Rivers falling out of Round 1.
                              I like Rivers, Talib, and Malcolm Kelly at 11
                              Like I said I made this before the senior bowl...which I think has clearly showed that Rivers is in the same breath prospect wise as ernie sims.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information