Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2006 SF 49ers the worst 7-9 team in NFL history?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 SF 49ers the worst 7-9 team in NFL history?

Pro Football Reference is a superb site not just for the statistics it houses, but for also the blog and the statistical analysis (Football Outsiders is another fantastic source in this area) it features. I'd recommend giving both a read every so often.

PFR takes a look at the 2006 San Francisco 49ers, first in terms of point differential, and then inputing 2006 data into their simple rating system (which isn't hard to understand).

The data brought up against the 49ers, whose offense I've termed Frank Gore and Ten Other Guys (and that was with Norv Turner as the offensive coordinator) on more than one occassion, speaks for itself really.

PFR has also raised the topic of wanting either a great offense/bad defense, bad offense/great defense, mediocre offense/mediocre defense, among other recent topics.

It's a good read, and discuss.
    Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Certainly possible.

They were also possibly the least talented roster EVER in the history of the NFL in 2005 and Nolan coached them to a 4-12 record with 5 teams picking before them in the draft.

Nolan really must be a spectacular coach.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterShake View Post
      Certainly possible.

They were also possibly the least talented roster EVER in the history of the NFL in 2005 and Nolan coached them to a 4-12 record with 5 teams picking before them in the draft.

You also have to consider the division they play in though and every team gets a few lucky bounces throughout the season and a few games where a couple guys play out of their normal capacity and can decide games for their teams. Nolan is an excellent coach though, but to go 0-16 not only takes a terrible team, but also receiving no luck at all throughout the season.

Comment

They're still going to be on the lower end of talent this year but I can see them managing another 7-9, 6-10, 8-8 type season out of it. It'll be harder for sure without Norv Turner, though

Comment

Originally posted by MasterShake View Post
          Certainly possible.

The 1976 Buccaneers take offense at you trying to give away their dubious distinction. They were by far a worse team than the 2005 49ers.

Comment

Originally posted by cunningham06 View Post
            The 1976 Buccaneers take offense at you trying to give away their dubious distinction. They were by far a worse team than the 2005 49ers.
            Was 1976 their first year in the league by any chance?

Comment

Jaguars best 8-8 team ever does not surprise me at all. Football Outsiders also had the Jaguars as one of the top teams last year. That's what happens when you beat (most of the time, blow-out) good teams but lose to the bad ones.

by BoneKrusher
              <DG> how metal unseen
              <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

Their best 9-7 team, the 2005 San Diego Chargers, isn't surprising either.
                Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Thank you Geo for finding this. In various threads I have been trying to tell 49er fans that they are getting a little ahead of themselves with all the winning the division talk. I keep telling them that the higher the expectations the bigger the disappointment. I have already brought up the points differential issue, but I'm glad to see that someone actually put some heavy research into this. The bottomline is that the 2006 49ers had a better record than they should have and they played well beyond their means. Even with the additions they made in the offseason, they will finish the season with a similar record as last year. 5-11 to 7-9.

I am done arguing, until somebody says something stupid.

Comment

Best at losing 4 consecutive super bowls: Buffalo Bills. Thats right. Bills own!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by nfrillman View Post
                      Thank you Geo for finding this. In various threads I have been trying to tell 49er fans that they are getting a little ahead of themselves with all the winning the division talk. I keep telling them that the higher the expectations the bigger the disappointment. I have already brought up the points differential issue, but I'm glad to see that someone actually put some heavy research into this. The bottomline is that the 2006 49ers had a better record than they should have and they played well beyond their means. Even with the additions they made in the offseason, they will finish the season with a similar record as last year. 5-11 to 7-9.
                      It's true they have over-achieved for 2 years in a row, the question is....can Nolan continue to get his team to play above their talent level?

And well it all really hinges on Alex Smith of course, if he takes the next step....the team won't need to over-achieve.

Stay tuned folks! It's gunna be an interesting season...

Comment

I think it's pretty safe to say that the 49ers overachieved this past season, I'll admit. Interesting is right!

Comment

9-7 for them this year. Their drafting and moves in FA put the team at a pretty decent talent level, though it still hinges on Alex Smith.

Comment

Originally posted by nfrillman View Post
                            You're right. 49ers fans shouldn't talk about winning the division. That's impossible. The Rams are the best team in the NFC. Coming up 1 game short of the NFC West crown last year with "the worst 7-9 team ever" should definitely mean that SF fans should expect to finish 4th this year. You SF fans are out of your minds. Beating the NFC West division winner TWICE definitely means you have no chance this year. Adding much needed talent to the least talented team of all time means you should be taking steps backwards next year. Come on SF fans. You shouldn't have high hopes going into next season. No fans should ever have high hopes in the offseason. That is dumb.
                            The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

Originally posted by Borat Sagdiyev View Post
                              You're right. 49ers fans shouldn't talk about winning the division. That's impossible. The Rams are the best team in the NFC. Coming up 1 game short of the NFC West crown last year with "the worst 7-9 team ever" should definitely mean that SF fans should expect to finish 4th this year. You SF fans are out of your minds. Beating the NFC West division winner TWICE definitely means you have no chance this year. Adding much needed talent to the least talented team of all time means you should be taking steps backwards next year. Come on SF fans. You shouldn't have high hopes going into next season. No fans should ever have high hopes in the offseason. That is dumb.
                              Noooo.. No fans except for Rams fans of course because they're the best team in the NFL.. Because they made the playoffs last year and 49ers didn't. Because they swept the 49ers. No no, only the Rams can improve their team in the off season, everyone else just has to accept the fact that their teams don't improve unless they are fans of the ALMIGHTY RAMS!

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information