Casey Hampton vs Haloti Ngata

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigDawg819 View Post
    First of all please for the love of God learn some proper grammar as opposed to the jibberish that was your last post. Secondly, Kelly Gregg is by far the most underrated NT in the entire NFL and no way Ngata would replace now or anytime soon.
    your gonna be a ***** over one little grammar mistake? this isnt the classroom, and it was a mistake.

..and Gregg doesnt even play NT. Ravens run a 4-3 ..there is no NOSE. So saying he is the most underrated NT in NFL is flat out stupid. Unless your talking about when the Ravens ran the 3-4, then your post might have a little credibility but that doesnt make him an underrated NT right now.

Comment

Hampton is a better fit in the 3-4, even though Ngata would be good in the 3-4 too. Wilfork I would take over Ngata but not over Hampton. Ngata is a great fit in the Ravens' defense though in that 2 NT system (virtually) with 2 rush ends and a base end on their front.

Comment

Originally posted by remix 6 View Post
        your gonna be a ***** over one little grammar mistake? this isnt the classroom, and it was a mistake.

..and Gregg doesnt even play NT. Ravens run a 4-3 ..there is no NOSE. So saying he is the most underrated NT in NFL is flat out stupid. Unless your talking about when the Ravens ran the 3-4, then your post might have a little credibility but that doesnt make him an underrated NT right now.
        Umm junior...........we run a hybrid defense with a base of a 3-4/4-3 defense. But what do I know since I'm only a Ravens' fan, go to at least 4 games a year, and follow them year round. I'm so glad I have someone like you to tell me what kind of defense they run........

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Originally posted by Job
        On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
        Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!

Comment

This is an absolute joke.

Comment

First off, even in a 4-3 Defense, a lot of the time there is a nose tackle, like in Tampa with Hovan and Kevin Carter(next season) or Ellis Wyms. Kendrick Clancy played NT, while Darnell Dockett played UT. La'Roi Glover was the UT in STL, while Jimmy Kennedy was the NT. The list goes on and on. The NT just occupies more blockers, allowing the UT to be a penetrating one gap kind of player. Kelly Gregg plays NT in the 4-3 and in the 3-4, which we run much of the time. He does not regularly play end in the 3-4. And he is a pretty underrated played and one of the better technicians in the league.

For the future, I would take Ngata, as he's 7 years younger than Hampton. But Hampton is a better player as of right now, due to his experience and smarts.

Comment

i was thinking more along the lines of a 3-4 NT. its much different than a 4-3 nose, so when he said NT..i went with the 3-4 since we were talking about Hampton.

when comparing, i would stick 3-4 guys with 3-4 guys and the 4-3s as separate .

i know ravens run 4-3 and 3-4 but mainly a 4-3 am i right?

Comment

Originally posted by America View Post
                First off, even in a 4-3 Defense, a lot of the time there is a nose tackle, like in Tampa with Hovan and Kevin Carter(next season) or Ellis Wyms. Kendrick Clancy played NT, while Darnell Dockett played UT. La'Roi Glover was the UT in STL, while Jimmy Kennedy was the NT. The list goes on and on. The NT just occupies more blockers, allowing the UT to be a penetrating one gap kind of player. Kelly Gregg plays NT in the 4-3 and in the 3-4, which we run much of the time. He does not regularly play end in the 3-4. And he is a pretty underrated played and one of the better technicians in the league.

For the future, I would take Ngata, as he's 7 years younger than Hampton. But Hampton is a better player as of right now, due to his experience and smarts.
                Exactly. No nose=easy runs between the 2 and 3 holes. Even if there isn't a dead on nose(which is usually the case) one tackle is in the gap between Weak guard and Center, which plays the same role.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                Originally posted by njx9
                do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

Ngata has the potential to go above and beyond what Hampton is, as he can be a serious penetrator as well as a run stopper, but Hampton is still the better player no question. If Im starting a 3-4 D Ill take Hampton because 3-4 NT is such a perfect position for him but if Im starting a defense from scratch and dont want 3-4 to be my only look, Im taking Ngata because he can play 4-3 DT, both the nose and the UT and he can play 3-4 DE and his potential is higher, a great frontline player to start a defense with, regardless of how you fill it out you will find a good spot for him.

Comment

i was thinking more along the lines of a 3-4 NT. its much different than a 4-3 nose, so when he said NT..i went with the 3-4 since we were talking about Hampton.

Depends on the look they want to give. It's just the difference between Suggs playing with his knuckle down or standing up. Guys like Ngata fit equally well into the 4-3 and 3-4.

Comment

There's no reason to argue over it; Casey Hampton is a NT in a 3-4 and Ngata is a DE when we line up in a 3-4. This is a ridiculous comparison.
                      yeah but I dont think theres much question Ngata could play the nose if necessary, they just dont need him to because Kelly Gregg is a beast. But its a testament to Ngatas ability that he, being a guy whose natural position is obviously DT can move to the DE position with that kind of success in his rookie season

Comment

I wouldn't say what the Ravens run is mainly any, because they might line up in a 4-3, but drop Suggs back into coverage or something like that and then its a perfectly effective 3-4. This is why its so successful, players can move around the field and can play a variety of roles.

Comment

I still don't understand the notion that Casey Hampton is an Elite 3-4 NT but if he was a 4-3 NT he would be 1/2 as good. His job would be the same and he would have another guy right beside him... as Gregg does with Ngata...

I don't know why we're having this discussion..

Should we start a Ray Lewis vs. Ernie Sims thread as well?

As for Ngata vs. Casey.. You're saying Ngata is the better player because he's more versatile..

And why are we talking about Suggs? Hampton could be elite either system. And it doesn't make sense that your comparing a 3-4 DE to a 3-4 NT.

The better comparison would be Ngata to Aaron Smith.
                          Last edited by Mr. Stiller; 07-14-2007, 10:39 PM.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
                            I still don't understand the notion that Casey Hampton is an Elite 3-4 NT but if he was a 4-3 NT he would be 1/2 as good. His job would be the same and he would have another guy right beside him... as Gregg does with Ngata...

I don't know why we're having this discussion..

Should we start a Ray Lewis vs. Ernie Sims thread as well?

As for Ngata vs. Casey.. You're saying Ngata is the better player because he's more versatile..

And why are we talking about Suggs? Hampton could be elite either system. And it doesn't make sense that your comparing a 3-4 DE to a 3-4 NT.

The better comparison would be Ngata to Aaron Smith.
                            As I said earlier, this is a ridiculous comparison. Its even more obvious since we, a Ravens and Steelers fan, agree that this is ridiculous. Hampton is the better player since he's established, Ngata is the up and coming guy with tremendous upside.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Originally posted by Job
                            On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
                            Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!

Comment

As I said earlier, this is a ridiculous comparison. Its even more obvious since we, a Ravens and Steelers fan, agree that this is ridiculous. Hampton is the better player since he's established, Ngata is the up and coming guy with tremendous upside.
                              Agreed.

Frankly I don't know who I'd pick starting a 3-4. I would lean NT, because with a dominant NT you have the upperhand (Jamal Williams, Hampton, Wilfork, Gregg).

Ngata is versatile and I think he will be a thorn in our side for a long time.

Again, A better comparison would be Hampton vs. Gregg as they're both great NT's and limited to NT.

Or Aaron Smith and Ngata who are 3-4 DE's that are tough in a 4-3 DT spot.

I'd take Hampton and Ngata at those points.

But this is just ridiculous.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

Ted Washington would eat them both for breakfast.

GET IN MAH BELLAY!

Anyways, I do believe Ngata could play 3-4 NT but I don't really know who I would take.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information