Mike Brown & Dusty Dvoracek lost for the season

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Brown & Dusty Dvoracek lost for the season

The Chicago Bears lost two defensive starters for the season during Sunday's 14-3 loss to the San Diego Chargers.

Safety Mike Brown suffered a season-ending knee injury, while defensive tackle Dusty Dvoracek suffered a season-ending torn ACL.

Brown suffered the injury during the fourth quarter of Chicago's season-opening 14-3 loss in San Diego.

Brown has only played 21 regular season games since 2004. He missed 14 games in 2004 (Achilles), four games in 2005 (calf – missed last four games of regular season and returned for playoffs) and 10 games in 2006 (foot).

Dvoracek was starting in the place vacated by former Bears DT Tank Johnson, who was released during the off-season after a series of off-the-field problems derailed his pro football career.
    Sigh..........

The loss of Brown doesn't hurt that much because quite frankly it's expected. Danieal Manning should be the future FS for this franchise and he started 16 games last season. Trading for Archuleta could end up being the best move Angelo made this offseason, though trading for Darwin Walker looks pretty huge now too. Brown's career is likely over. He's been on the IR the last 4 years. At some point enough is enough, no matter how good you are.

Dvoracek, on the other hand, is extremely dissapointing to me. He had arguably the best training camp and was really looking to come on strong after missing all of last season on IR. I hate to see a young player's career get blown up before he even gets a chance.

We've got great depth at DL and DB so the loss isn't staggering but still....it's a blow to lose two starters for the season in one game.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Mike Brown is a sad story though, so talented but he's so friggin' injury prone it's not even funny.

oh wait, it kinda is.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
    don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

i just simply can't believe Mike Brown's luck...

Sig by me... Hold the applause.

Comment

Disappointing, but injuries are a part of the game.
        Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

I haven't seen confirmation of the Dusty tear anywhere yet, it really is too bad because he had so much promise, and now he's staring at his second season ending injury in two years. It is a serious blow to his career. Mike Brown is done, for good, hopefully with McGowan, Payne, Archuleta and Manning we'll be able to hold down the fort at safety. Both losses are more emotional than anything else.

sig by VLS
          Originally posted by Smokey Joe
          I don't care...

Comment

Oh btw that's from Schefter, so you know it's gospel.

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
              Dvoracek, on the other hand, is extremely dissapointing to me. He had arguably the best training camp and was really looking to come on strong after missing all of last season on IR. I hate to see a young player's career get blown up before he even gets a chance.
              thats what i was gonna comment on, he was a great talent at OU all those years, and frankly looked like a beast about to be let loose this yr, preseason, and the beginning of the game he was everywhere, i think he could of put up huge numbers this yr, thats sad, i was anxious to see what he could do for you guys....

and brown has horrible luck, worst then arrington...i mean really the first game? thats crazy

Originally posted by Scott Wright
              I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

San Diego only took over that game after Mike Brown went down, just like things fell apart last season after he went down (albeit with Tommie Harris down then too). Anyone who says he isn't a big loss is fooling themselves, regardless of Brown's inability to stay healthy. He's a bona fide playmaker when he's out there, and their defense is not the same without him. Not even close. For the Bear's sake, hopefully Danieal Manning improves drastically by the end of the season.

Comment

Lol, I really hope Arch is playing when you guys come to town...

Comment

San Diego took over the game when their shank punt hit our coverage guy and they got the ball with about 30 yards to go.

Don't get me wrong, Brown is a very talented player when healthy, but his loss last year was very overrated for a few reasons.

1)The defense didn't really start to fall off untill Tommie went down (as you said).
                    2)We played better offenses in the 2nd half of the season
                    3)Brown is a much bigger asset against the run than the pass. D.Manning was our starter last year while Mike Brown was healthy. It was Todd Johnson and Chris Harris that took over for Brown (both of whom are gone). Essentially we're just swapping Brown for Archuleta, and while Archuleta is more of a liability in coverage, he can play the run as well as almost any safety in the league.
                    4)Brown gets hurt every year, our defense should be used to it by now and if they aren't, we don't deserve to be considered amongst the best.

Anyway....like I said, Manning started 16 games last year and has lots of talent. He's also likely a better compliment to Archuleta in that he's a true FS, whereas before we were basically playing with two SS. I had assumed that when we traded for Arch back in March we were going to flat out cut Brown. Archuleta has made the Pro-Bowl at SS under Lovie Smith, I'm not worried about him. If D.Manning can learn his positioning better this year he'll be fine, he wasn't that bad last year to begin with.

I really feel bad for Mike, but it's time to move on. I said that last year and was a little suprised they've stuck with him so long.

Comment

Originally posted by skinzzfan25 View Post
                      Lol, I really hope Arch is playing when you guys come to town...
                      Our coach isn't a washed up old man. Our GM actually knows stuff about football. We know how to fit players to schemes rather than just amass names to put on jerseys that sell really well but never win football games.

Next.

Comment

I was wondering what impact Brown would have this year but then too I also was wondering how long it'd be until he gets hurt again. Granted I didn't watch the second half but I didn't know that either got hurt.

Comment

Wow so who in the heck is the Bears' other DT now

edit: oh yeah I forgot about Walker
                          Last edited by LionSmack; 09-10-2007, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LionSmack View Post
                            Wow so who in the heck is the Bears' other DT now
                            Darwin Walker. Anthony Adams will fill in at NT in more traditional run situations and Israel Idonije can play the UT situationally. As has Alex Brown.

Comment

Agreed, Arch will be fine. Hopefully he can giving Manning some pointers on actually making a tackle too. They'll be a very solid duo if that happens.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information