No announcement yet.

Washington Redskins Coaching Decisions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washington Redskins Coaching Decisions?

How do you not have Clinton Portis in the game on your last second attempt to tie the game up with 1st and goal on the 1??!!!!

I know he tweaked an ankle or something, but he came back in after that and seemed ok. Anyone wanna shed light on this for me?

Originally posted by MasterShake View Post
    How do you not have Clinton Portis in the game on your last second attempt to tie the game up with 1st and goal on the 1??!!!!

I know he tweaked an ankle or something, but he came back in after that and seemed ok. Anyone wanna shed light on this for me?
    Betts is no slouch, and he's a better power runner. And it wouldn't matter anyway, there was no hole to run through. They made the right decision, because in that situation Betts has a better chance of running someone over opposed to Portis.

Now if you wanna question them running it against a porous pass d, then fine. But you can't kill them for doing what they did. It just didn't work.

Comment

Portis is far better at the goalline than Betts, it's ridiculous imo.

Betts may have sightly better hands than Portis, but other than that he's servicable at best. The hullabaloo about him this past offseason was just stupid, his success was thanks to the Washington run-blocking offensive line.

Imagine if we go crazy about Derrick Ward right now, a servicable guy who's running behind a very good Giants run-blocking offensive line.

Yet another time Gibbs screws the pooch with his decision-making. He reportedly took over the playcalling at the goalline in the final drive, so the results aren't entirely surprising I suppose.
      Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Doesn't really matter if Betts is the better "power back" or it was his series in the rotation, Clinton Portis has an elite reputation and has scored what did they say... 21 td's in his last 22 games or something? Give him the damn ball.
        I remember: Sean Taylor

Bosanac01

Comment

those last two plays were no where near as bad as the first two... Campbell spiking it with about 55 seconds left on the 2 yard line didn't make much sense to me... i'd try to hurry to the line, run it up the middle, then spike on 2nd down if you don't get it in.

Then the play after that was bad too, throwing it made no sense, especially to the FB.

Sig by me... Hold the applause.

Comment

You know what I want to question? I want to question all the BS second guessing that goes on.

The bottom line is that they went with a high-percentage play call twice in a row. Most people would think that they had a high likelihood of getting it in the end-zone by doing what they did. Just because it failed does not make it a bad decision. I watched that game live and at no point was I thinking "What the hell is Portis doing out of the game?" or "Why aren't they passing it?"

Sometimes you just have to tip your hat to the defense, and NY made two great defensive stands when you wouldn't have thought they had it in them. Good for them. Quit with all the after-the-fact crap.
            Originally posted by 21ST
            He was protecting his self
            Originally posted by tjsunstein
            From what? His leg?
            Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
            That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
            "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Meh, they screwed themselves with their playcalling. Calling the same play twice and bringing in their jumbo package for a goalline run, on third down, severely limited what they could do on third and fourth down and all but told the Giants defense what to expect.

Not to mention using Betts, who hasn't been anything close to effective around the goalline all year. I don't think the guy has even scored a rushing touchdown yet, Portis has been the guy. Portis ably displayed his nose for the endzone against the Eagles not six full days ago. Just poor decision-making and it all falls on Gibbs imo.
              Last edited by Geo; 09-24-2007, 03:28 PM.
              Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

this has already been discussed at great length in the redskins forum. However, we shouldn't have used betts cuz he's never been able to find the endzone. That was just stupid. The same play twice? wtf? A stretch play wtf wtf?? I don't remember who said it... but we should have ran the boot... Campbell is definetly quick enuff and it was wide open both times. Of course hind-sight 20-20 and all that ****.... but still.

Comment

Originally posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
                  You know what I want to question? I want to question all the BS second guessing that goes on.

The bottom line is that they went with a high-percentage play call twice in a row. Most people would think that they had a high likelihood of getting it in the end-zone by doing what they did. Just because it failed does not make it a bad decision. I watched that game live and at no point was I thinking "What the hell is Portis doing out of the game?" or "Why aren't they passing it?"

Sometimes you just have to tip your hat to the defense, and NY made two great defensive stands when you wouldn't have thought they had it in them. Good for them. Quit with all the after-the-fact crap.

You can argue playcall all day...and second guessing that is tough.

All I'm second guessing is not putting in Portis....and that is HIGHLY questionable. Infact its downright dumb...I'm not even a skins fan and as soon as I saw Betts in at the end I said many times aloud it was a horrible move.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                    Betts is no slouch, and he's a better power runner. And it wouldn't matter anyway, there was no hole to run through. They made the right decision, because in that situation Betts has a better chance of running someone over opposed to Portis.

Now if you wanna question them running it against a porous pass d, then fine. But you can't kill them for doing what they did. It just didn't work.
                    Actually it was a pretty stupid play call, especially having betts in there. He is not good at all on the goal line. There was no hole but betts tripped and fell. Bottom line is when you need to make a play you should have playmakers in the game, not your sorry ass 2nd string RB. I really hope we get rid of betts soon so he can stop taking carries away from portis.
                    RIP Sean Michael Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by DMWSackMachine View Post

I doubt that anyone thought the play was going to work the second time. Since it failed what kind of decission was it if it wasnt a bad one, cause it sure as hell wasnt a good one.
                      RIP Sean Michael Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                        Portis is far better at the goalline than Betts, it's ridiculous imo.

Betts may have sightly better hands than Portis, but other than that he's servicable at best. The hullabaloo about him this past offseason was just stupid, his success was thanks to the Washington run-blocking offensive line.

Imagine if we go crazy about Derrick Ward right now, a servicable guy who's running behind a very good Giants run-blocking offensive line.

Yet another time Gibbs screws the pooch with his decision-making. He reportedly took over the playcalling at the goalline in the final drive, so the results aren't entirely surprising I suppose.
                        And Portis didn't build his reputation behind one of the best run blocking lines in football? He doesn't run behind the exact same line as Betts right now? I agree Portis is the better overall talent, but your reasoning is faulty.

Comment

Ladell Betts is not a tougher runner than Portis and I hate when people call him a power goal line runner because he isn't. Ladell Betts is the most overrated player in the NFL. He is a statistical product because the last 8 games of last year the line was amazing, easily the best O-line in the NFL. Betts is no way a power runner. I have never seen him break a single tackle. Yes he has good vision but he is slow and weak. Portis is one of the top 10 most physical backs in the league. He isn't what everyone thinks he is which is a speed back. If you have watched CP the past 3 years he is one of the toughest backs running fools over. He has layed out a dozen DE's and LB's this year as a blocker and always finds the endzone, like his damn TD earlier in the game!!! Secondly on 4th and 1 you go man vs man up the middle. Why the eff would you run a stretch play to a slow runner. By running a stretch play all you are allowing is the defense is time to penetrate into the backfield. Another reason as to why CP is the goaline back is because he runs with a low center of gravity, Betts runs straight up like a marathon runner and LB's at the goaline identify him immediately. In that situation if it wasn't CP it should have been Mike Sellers to get the ball because he always trucks people and falls forward. But what they should have really done was roll out JC and either he runs it in or try to hit Cooley coming across. It was quite obvious that with no time outs left and the clock running Joe Gibbs panicked, at his age his mind isn't able to make decisions that quickly, god bless him for what he's done but he is incoherent now.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
                          http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
                          Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
                          http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

Despite the playcalling, I doubt Redskins fans think they are not a SuperBowl bound team anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                              Despite the playcalling, I doubt Redskins fans think they are not a SuperBowl bound team anymore.
                              I love how everyone says that about skins fans when not a single skins fan has said anything similar maybe ST21 3 years ago when he was a tard, but not anytime recently, people use the skins as a target to feed into their own homerism.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
                              http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
                              Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
                              http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information