Carolina Panthers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carolina Panthers

Interesting things are happening for the Panthers right now.

As some of you probably know (lol) I support this team to the fullest extent possible. At times I get up at 3:00am to watch them play. When they have 4pm games I am up to late 11pm odd at night watching them (dunno about legal stuff so I'm not saying how).

Whenever I do I'm exceptionally disappointed. I see Smith, Delhomme, Hoover, Foster, Morgan, Beason, usually Peppers, Jenkins playing with heart and effort and a lot of other guys just plodding along, seemingly cashing a paycheck.

A lot of you guys see the regular season game and justly think wtf is up with this team?

When watching the team play in the playoffs in 05 against the Giants and Chicago they looked like world beaters, in 03 and down stretches in 04 there was tremendous drive and effort which has since seemed to fizzle.

Today, in response to the team's poor showing in weeks 2-4 despite the .500 record Jenkins had this to say:

You all ready (clears throat)? All right, Iím going to be honest. I think the players owe the fans an apology. I would be as upset as they are if I had to sit in the stands for four hours and look at that garbage. Iím going to be honest with you. Thatís what it was, garbage.

I apologize to you Pat because I didnít put everything out as far as the issue (in an Observer story last week, where Jenkins challenged his teammates to handle prosperity better). This is our issue as a team. As a team collectively, we have no heart. We have no energy. We have no drive. Football is about pride and passion. Iím going to repeat that again. Football is about pride and passion. The pride and the passion that you have for this game makes you want to win. Itís not about the money. Itís not about looking the part. Itís not about standing on the field so everybody can see you on TV and that you look good. Itís about pride and heart. If you have those two, if you win or lose, youíre going to look like a football team.

Thatís why we have issues with prosperity. Thatís why we have issues when things look good. Thatís why we canít get enough together to look and act like a football team. This is not a 9-to-5 job. This is a game. It is a street fight. It is a gladiator sport and I apologize that sometimes I donít look the part for what people want me to be. Iím not the weight that everybody wants me to be. But when I step on that field, what you are going to see is pride and heart because I value this game. I love it and that is what is frustrating me. We donít have that.

We went out there and I felt embarrassed. I walked out the little line or whatever you come through to go play and I walked out and basically, in certain way, I challenged their team. And I challenged my team, because when you step out there like that and you do something like that, you better back it up and we didnít. We got broke off. We really got broke off and Iím embarrassed to say so.

Right now, my heart hurts. It really does. Itís hard to sit there week after week and go through this. This is whatís not being addressed. Week in and week out, we might say this and we might say that or we need to change this. Itís not that you canít pay for pride and heart. It might good when you look at the stats or when you look at someoneís 40 time or you look at everything else. But it doesnít matter how many skills you have. It doesnít matter how good you look when you catch a pass or when you run the ball or when you tackle somebody or cover somebody.

Itís not going to matter if you donít have those two things, because this is the NFL. It is the National Football League. It is a professional sport and you have people out here, such as myself, who love this game enough that theyíre going to put it all out on the field.

Tampa Bay came and they did that and they royally broke their foot off in our butt. I have nothing else to say. Iím upset about this, but I wanted to say that.
    To be honest as a Panther fan its great to hear it.
    I'm sick of arguing with people week in and out as to why some of our players are great, which they are when they don't really back me up, its not like they're obligated to, but I've seen Peppers for instance throw tackles aside like tissue paper and I've seen guys like Ken Lucas cover like a blanket, so I get pissed off when they show no effort.

Anyone else out there know where I'm coming from?

How much it sucks to see a team, not quit, but literally not give a **** about the uniform they wear or the fans that watch?

Just wanted to add. This is really quite perplexing to me, since John Fox normally has the team fired up and I'm used to watching so many teams around the league fight tooth and nail for a single yard when our guys don't seem to have the heart.

Delhomme might be done for a few more games which makes me sad since he's been great thus far.

Comment

get ready for the umenyiora>peppers argument to start up again. just warning ya.

Comment

I'm almost moved by that speech to go outside and play some football. Jenkins comes off as a class act. It's a shame that players aren't feeling motivated in Carolina.

Comment

Originally posted by Windy City Big Gamer Uno View Post
          get ready for the umenyiora>peppers argument to start up again. just warning ya.
          God thats gonna suck
          I didnt really watch the game, but Carr did good in limited time last week, what happened this week.

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

David Carr has always been the worst starting QB in the NFL. Now he finally has no where to hide so he can avoid the blame he so rightfully deserves. Jake Delhomme is by no means a great QB, but he's much better than Carr. Steve Smith just got a taste of what Andre Johnson has had to put up with for the past four years.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
              David Carr has always been the worst starting QB in the NFL. Now he finally has no where to hide so he can avoid the blame he so rightfully deserves. Jake Delhomme is by no means a great QB, but he's much better than Carr. Steve Smith just got a taste of what Andre Johnson has had to put up with for the past four years.
              I agree with Shiver, his release was slow, he over threw players and was inaccurate and made poor decisions.

Compare this with Delhomme who was tied for what 3rd in passer rating in the NFL and had 8 TDs and 1 INT, I dunno if we would've won with him at the helm, but it would've damn sure been a better fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Windy City Big Gamer Uno View Post
                That's like saying Kevin Curtis is a better WR than Chad Johnson after his 200 yard day.

Osi is a top 5 DE in the league but when on his game there's none better than Peppers. Same way with Manning, Antonio Gates and LT, they just have down periods at times for one reason or another.

Comment

Well you guys are playing the Saints next week...that should cure all your problems at least temporarily.

Comment

Yeah but I'd rather go 0-16 and have guys playing with sincerity and heart than anything else and have guys not bothering to put in effort.

Comment

I've felt that way about the Lions before Rod Marinelli took over. Sure, we lacked quite a bit of talent as well, but they players didn't give a **** and it showed.

It sucks. I feel for you. Jenkins is the man.
                      Left NFLDC: 20080918.

Comment

I have felt that way about the Rams many times, now and in the Martz era. I don't think any coaches have gotten less out of their talent than the Martz years and Linehan this year, though the injury thing is getting ridiculous. Injury report now looks like this, Pace, Incognito, Setterstrom, Steussie, Bennett, Jackson, Bruce, Tinoisamoa, Chavous, and Tye Hill have now all missed games. On top of that, Wroten and Fahkir Brown have been suspended. Insane.

I am done arguing, until somebody says something stupid.

Comment

I saw the game and I gotta say, Osi > Peppers by a landslide!

OUisaGod!

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                          don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

The honest truth is, theyre just not as good as you think they are. Its that simple. Now that a couple of games have been played, you can see it for yourself. As fans, we always weigh our own team players as better than they truely are.

When they disappoint, sometimes it hurts and its hard to accept. But you gotta accept it and move on. Its part of being a fan.

Comment

For anybody who thinks the QB position isn't the most important position on a football team, all you have to look at is teams like Carolina who simply do not have a standout at that position. Without a top flight QB, your team and any team is always going to be up and down from year to year.
                              Carr's not the answer, the answer must come from the draft if you ever want to be an elite team in the NFL. There is a reason why NE, Indy and GB lead the NFL, it's called a franchise QB and they are few and far between.
                              And proud of it!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information