Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diabsoule's Week 4 Thoughts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Diabsoule's Week 4 Thoughts

    Maybe not as detailed as I would like because of the amount of school work I had to do this weekend but it's what I could do.

    Deep Outs

    Hey, hey, ho, ho, Norv Turner's go to go: I thought the decision to hire Norv Turner was one of the worst moves the San Diego Chargers could have made and I stand by that. They were embarrassed by the Kansas City Chiefs. Norv Turner has a history of being a terrible coach and I do not know why A.J. Smith thought any different when he hired him in that capacity. I do not expect Turner to last through the season and I see Ron Rivera stepping up to take the reigns. I also see A.J. Smith being fired at the end of the season. All Smith and the Chargers front office did was take a team primed for the Super Bowl and flush them down the toilet. They should be embarrassed.

    ”Say it ain't so, Joe”: The Chicago Bears are 1-3. Surprised? I am. I have egg on my face after predicting them to go to the Super Bowl and face the New England Patriots. After doing what I considered the right move, Lovie Smith benched Rex Grossman for Brian Griese. Unlike I predicated, Griese came out and did his best Rex Grossmen impersonation. With defensive starters hurting and their offense looking stagnant, the Bears are in trouble. They have a tough schedule yet to come and at this rate I do not expect them to make the playoffs. First priority for the Bears is a QB who actually has a pocket presence and can make the correct pass.

    The Pride of Kiln: Favre passed the touchdown record this weekend. I'm sure everyone expected him to do but it was another thing to actually watch him do it. Not only did the Packers win but they did so in fairly convincing fashion against the Vikings. The Packers offense, even without a running game, looks good, and their defense looks better. They will win the NFC North this year.

    Osi Umenyiora is a better and more productive... Ah hell, you know the rest: I don't know if it comes down to the fact that the Panthers look like the kitty cats or that the Giants are trying to live up to their name but Umenyiora put on a clinic Sunday night. He has six more sacks than Julius Peppers, which although Osi's six sacks came against Philly in one game, Peppers has failed to register a sack all year.

    Quick Hit

    Detroit Lions? 3-1?: Probably the most surprising 3-1 team in the league. Rod Marinelli is building a contender in the Motor City. Although they need quite a bit of work on defense and could use an upgrade on offense, this team is heading in the right direction. Maybe Matt Millen might know what he is doing after all? Probably not, it was just a thought.

    St. Louis Rams? 0-4?: The greatest show on turf is at the bottom of the league? Yes, and they looked terrible getting there. Marc Bulger looks like hot trash. You know you're in trouble when the quarterback you just signed to a significant extension is benched for Gus Ferrotte. At least the Saints won their bye week, which was favored by 7.

    The upset that should have been noticed: The Arizona Cardinals came out ready to play against the Pittsburgh Steelers and really brought it to them. If I was a smarter man that I consider myself to be I would have called that game. Ken Whisenhunt and Russ Grimm were both gunning for the head position in Pittsburgh and exacted revenge on the organization by beating them in the desert. While doing so Darnell Dockett has emerged as a big time player. And what does John Madden say? “Big players make big plays in big games which equal big wins.” Dockett is proving to be a big player. Speaking of Arizona, Matt Leinart looks like he'd rather be partying with Reggie Bush than studying game film and concentrating on the opponent. He is letting himself get outplayed by the ageless wonder, Kurt Warner. Whether or not that has to do with Leinart's press clippings has yet to be seen.

    Browns/Ravens: Either Derek Anderson looks that good or Baltimore looks that bad. I think it's a bit of both. Derek Anderson seemed his usual self but Baltimore is just old. I thought they would make a run in the AFC but it does not seem like it. Cleveland's line is offensive line is playing like it should and as I expected it to be. I still think Brady Quinn is the future of the Browns and don't think they made the wrong decision in drafting him. The Ravens, however, seem like they have landed. I just don't see the Ravens of old in this team, although they have most of the same players.

    Dwayne Bowe is right on the mark: I did not give him much credit coming out of college mainly due to his performance at LSU, however, he is turning into the receiver the Chiefs need. He has had two monster games in a row and is really helping out the Chiefs offense. Not to say that the Chiefs O doesn't need all the help it can get but Bowe is trying to take some of the pressure off of it.

    Fourth and one:

    Dallas Cowboys. Super Bowl bound: I'm calling it now. Although I was wrong when I thought the Bears would make it back to the Super Bowl, I had forgot about the Super Bowl hangover which the Bears are clearly suffering from. The Cowboys are ahead of the class in the NFC and should meet the Patriots in the Super Bowl barring any significant injuries.

    Mangenius making a Man-ignoramus move?: By keeping Chad Pennington as the starting QB, Eric Mangini is stunting the growth of QB Kellen Clemens, who is the future of the Jets. The Jets will not be making the playoffs this year, no matter how much they would like to so they might as well as give Clemens the job so he can learn sooner than later. It seems like the obvious decision. Go ahead, Eric, you know you want to. Just do it.

    The flight of the Seahawks: I consider the Seahawks the best 3-1 team in football right now. They lost a close one in Arizona in Week 2 to division rival Arizona. There is a strong case to say that this team should be 4-0. They are playing some very tough football right now and everyone is playing well. I expect them to the only team in the NFC that truly battles the Cowboys for the chance to play in the Super Bowl this year.

    Goal Line Situation: The injuries this year keep piling up. Deuce McAllister, Cadillac Williams, Luke Petitgout, Marvin Harrison, Travis Henry, Hines Ward, etc... I have even heard rumors that Jake Delhomme's career might be over from his injury. Is it just me or has there been a ton of important injuries this year than there has been in the past? Cincinnati is down to just 2 linebackers. That is the first time I have ever heard of that happening. Never thought I would hear of a team running a 5-2 on regular downs. Maybe FA Patrick Sirmon is in their future? These injuries are getting ridiculous and will affect a ton of franchises futures for this year.

    Here's a team put together by Len Pasquarelli from 22 of the 149 players on the IR right now.

    Offense

    WR -- Brian Finneran, Atlanta
    WR -- Michael Jennings, N.Y. Giants
    LT -- Orlando Pace, St. Louis
    LG -- Ben Hamilton, Denver
    C -- Steve McKinney, Houston
    RG -- Jason Whittle, Buffalo
    RT -- Jon Jansen, Washington
    TE -- Mark Campbell, New Orleans
    QB -- D.J. Shockley, Atlanta
    FB -- Mike Alstott, Tampa Bay
    RB -- Deuce McAllister, New Orleans

    Defense

    LE -- Ebenezer Ekuban, Denver
    LT -- Jason Ferguson, Dallas
    RT -- Anthony McFarland, Indianapolis
    RE -- Chike Okeafor, Arizona
    SLB -- Rob Morris, Indianapolis
    MLB -- Paul Posluszny, Buffalo
    WLB -- Matt Stewart, Cleveland
    CB -- Justin Miller, N.Y. Jets
    CB -- Chad Scott, New England
    FS -- Mike Brown, Chicago
    SS -- Yeremiah Bell, Miami
    Last edited by diabsoule; 10-03-2007, 03:48 PM.

    Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

    Super Bowl XLIV Champions
    WHO DAT!

  • #2
    Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
    The flight of the Seahawks: I consider the Seahawks the best 3-1 team in football right now. They lost a close one in their opening game and have played everyone hard since then. I expect them to the only team in the NFC that truly battles the Cowboys for the chance to play in the Super Bowl this year.
    Didn't they win their opening game against Tampa Bay? I thought they lost to the Cardinals.

    by BoneKrusher
    <DG> how metal unseen
    <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by The Unseen View Post
      Didn't they win their opening game against Tampa Bay? I thought they lost to the Cardinals.
      Yeah they beat the Buc's 20-6.

      Comment


      • #4
        Bowe at some point is going to help get the 8-9 guys out of the box to stop LJ which will open things up for him

        Comment


        • #5
          Jets really do need to put in Clemens. This week the Jets don't even scare me one bit against the G-Men. Number one their O-line is struggling bad. Number two they have no pass rush. But the third reason is Pennington. Our biggest problem is still coverage in the secondary. With Pennington at QB the Jets have no threat of a deep pass to keep our defense honest. It's almost like the Jets are only playing with half a field. The Jets offense is all YAC. Pennington hopes his WRs do something when he gets them the ball short to intermediate. There is absolutely zero threat of him throwing the ball deep, because he just can't do it. Cotchery is banged up and Pennington is going to continue getting him killed throwing those ducks leading him into defenders. The Jets are a classic example of easy schedule last year and overachieving year one under a new coach.

          Comment


          • #6
            Like in Shiv's writeup I still gotta disagree about AJ Smith. He ****** up royally with Turner, but every GM has made some mistakes. Like you said they were primed for a Super Bowl Run, and a major reason for that was because of the success AJ had in building that team. Turner and Cotrell are huge mistakes, but with all AJ has done to build the team, this mistake, as huge as it was, deserves a second chance. Granted, if he blows that....

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by JK17 View Post
              Like in Shiv's writeup I still gotta disagree about AJ Smith. He ****** up royally with Turner, but every GM has made some mistakes. Like you said they were primed for a Super Bowl Run, and a major reason for that was because of the success AJ had in building that team. Turner and Cotrell are huge mistakes, but with all AJ has done to build the team, this mistake, as huge as it was, deserves a second chance. Granted, if he blows that....
              Just fire Turner and bring back Martyball.
              "We're only going to score 17 points?" Brady said before chuckling about it. "OK. Is Plax playing defense? I wish he had said 45-42 and gave us a little credit for scoring more points."

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by JK17 View Post
                Like in Shiv's writeup I still gotta disagree about AJ Smith. He ****** up royally with Turner, but every GM has made some mistakes. Like you said they were primed for a Super Bowl Run, and a major reason for that was because of the success AJ had in building that team. Turner and Cotrell are huge mistakes, but with all AJ has done to build the team, this mistake, as huge as it was, deserves a second chance. Granted, if he blows that....
                The problem I have with AJ is that it seems like he put his personal feelings towards someone ahead of the football team. He took a personal vendetta with Marty and because of that hurt his football team. Same with the hiring of his buddy Cotrell. Cotrell has been horrible everywhere. Only got the job because of him being buddies with AJ.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
                  The problem I have with AJ is that it seems like he put his personal feelings towards someone ahead of the football team. He took a personal vendetta with Marty and because of that hurt his football team. Same with the hiring of his buddy Cotrell. Cotrell has been horrible everywhere. Only got the job because of him being buddies with AJ.
                  Yeah, ideally I'd have liked them to get along. And in hindsight Cotrell was an asbolutely terrible decision. But I just don't believe Marty was doing anything different in the situation. He was just as stubborn, and everything had to be his way also. That's why you can't have too dictator types like that, they're going to cause huge dilemmas for the team. And the Cotrell hiring, terrible, but Marty wanted to bring in his brother Kurt to coach the defense, so although he probably wouldn't have been as terrible as Cotrell is, its not like he wouldn't have done people favors if he had been the one who stayed.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by JK17 View Post
                    Yeah, ideally I'd have liked them to get along. And in hindsight Cotrell was an asbolutely terrible decision. But I just don't believe Marty was doing anything different in the situation. He was just as stubborn, and everything had to be his way also. That's why you can't have too dictator types like that, they're going to cause huge dilemmas for the team. And the Cotrell hiring, terrible, but Marty wanted to bring in his brother Kurt to coach the defense, so although he probably wouldn't have been as terrible as Cotrell is, its not like he wouldn't have done people favors if he had been the one who stayed.
                    Yeah good call on Kurt..

                    Marty wasn't fired initially.. the franchise decided to keep him.. Its only until after marty let the entire coaching staff go that we decided to stop the bleeding.. (lofton was lookin to leave as well) .. this gave AJ the reason he wanted to justify firing marty..

                    So was that putting his personal feelings ahead of the team? i dont think so..


                    sig by bosanac01

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Average OT LB View Post
                      Yeah good call on Kurt..

                      Marty wasn't fired initially.. the franchise decided to keep him.. Its only until after marty let the entire coaching staff go that we decided to stop the bleeding.. (lofton was lookin to leave as well) .. this gave AJ the reason he wanted to justify firing marty..

                      So was that putting his personal feelings ahead of the team? i dont think so..
                      Marty let the entire coaching staff go? He can't prevent his coordinators from accepting head coaching jobs.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
                        Marty let the entire coaching staff go? He can't prevent his coordinators from accepting head coaching jobs.
                        I think he just meant that after the coordinators were gone, there was a lot less of a reason to keep Marty...I mean considering Cameron called the plays and Wade ran the defense....what have been our 2 biggest problems this year? Play calling and defense...Marty would have gotten the team more motivated, but he could have gone, and we could have found another motivator...the coordinators killed us.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by JK17 View Post
                          I think he just meant that after the coordinators were gone, there was a lot less of a reason to keep Marty...I mean considering Cameron called the plays and Wade ran the defense....what have been our 2 biggest problems this year? Play calling and defense...Marty would have gotten the team more motivated, but he could have gone, and we could have found another motivator...the coordinators killed us.
                          From what I have seen of the Chargers motivation looks like the biggest problem. That team quit in the second half the other day when they had the lead.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
                            St. Louis Rams? 0-4?: The greatest show on turf is at the bottom of the league? Yes, and they looked terrible getting there. Marc Bulger looks like hot trash. You know you're in trouble when the quarterback you just signed to a significant extension is benched for Gus Ferrotte. At least the Saints won their bye week, which was favored by 7.
                            Nice write up as always. And we are now looking more like the piles of **** anwhere. Bulger is a fraud, he was clearly playing out of his ass for a contract extension, Jackson is only as good as his left tackle, Holt and Bruce are aging, McMichael and Bennett are nowhere to be found maybe its cuz whenever we throw to one of them it gets picked due to the fraud we have at QB. Don't even get me started on the defense. Dante Hall score our lone TD in a 35-7 loss, but he had the most costly of fumbles in a 17-16 loss. Bust. Okay, lets get on that defense. Little is old, where the hell is Carriker, Glover belongs in a junk yard, I don't even know or care who our 4th lineman is because he sucks too, I mean did u see that Romo play:the only way thats a first down is if they are playing the Rams. Pisa is hurt as he always is, Witherspoon is no where to be found, and who the **** is Brian Chillar. Tye Hill is a first-round bust, Corey Chavous should join Glover at the garbage dump, Otogwe actually has our only pick: but he sucks, and I don't even know who our 2nd CB is, but he obviously sucks, Patrick Crayton lit him up. We get Fakhir Brown back, there is our Bob Sanders. Sarcasm everyone, its a great thing, u all know that is horse **** and Fakhir Brown sucks. Our offensive line couldn't block me. Our offensive coordinator couldn't coordinate a pee-wee team. Oh yeah, we play good in the first half to three quarters of every game and then we fall apart, and that pisses me off. I like Linehan and I like Haslett, so even if we go 0-16, which very well could happen with the way we are playing, I would like to see them stick around. But for the love of God, get rid of Greg Olsen, I think thats his name. His main project in Detroit was Joey Harington: how did that work out for him. I think I am done. Good day.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
                              From what I have seen of the Chargers motivation looks like the biggest problem. That team quit in the second half with the other day when they had the lead.
                              I'd agree motivation is a big issue, but you can have a motivator anywhere, there's plenty of coaches who can motivate. The problem was not getting one. Also, its hard to tell if they gave up or if the offense/defense just collapsed. A lot of it can be chalked up to playcalling too. I mean they were playing good, protecting the lead...then we go tight man on 3rd and 19 and get beat. We drive down the field to come back, get it to the five yard line, and we pass four times in a row. The motivation isn't what it used to be, but I think there were more pressing issues.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information