Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow, Jason Whitlock

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7343980

Normally I think this guy is a buffoon, but I think this is one of the more poignant and interesting pieces on the state of the NFL that I've read this year, and I thought some people here might be interested.

Alright, normally I would let a thread play out before pulling the plug. There is no chance that this will create any productive discussion. This is an overtly racial discussion and even though Whitlock pretends that it isn't, he still insinuated that having rosters with more white guys is a good thing. This will get ugly fast and I don't want to hand out six infractions in the first page of this thread. Maybe if I had more trust in the intelligence and tact of the posters here this could work, but I don't.
    Last edited by Shiver; 10-18-2007, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Even though I'm definitely not a Whitlock fan I think this is an interesting article and definitely worthy of discussion. I guess this will be a good test case to see if our posters can have an intelligent conversation on a controversial topic without it getting out of hand.

Personally, I really don't know if I agree or disagree...
      Scott Wright, President
      Draft Countdown.com
      www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
      www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Comment

That article made me laugh.
        The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

The bit about pointing out the number of non-African-American players on the Colts and Patriots was a hollow point, I felt. If they couldn't contribute well to the team, they wouldn't be there no matter their skin color or heritage. Both Belichick and Dungy are defensive-minded coaches, and their defenses are predominantly black, no? So it's a rather stupid point to try to make, in my mind.

Undrafted free agent rookie defensive tackle Ed Johnson is starting over third round pick and All-American at Ohio State Quinn Pitcock, but how can that be when Johnson is black and Pitcock isn't, Whitlock? And Johnson was suspended twice at Penn State? omg he must have been a product of a "hip-hop culture."

Also, I couldn't put much credence in attributing the behavior/attitude of Chad Johnson and Larry Johnson to a "hip-hop culture." LJ has some deal with Jay-Z's media company/interests, but it's still stretching it, in my mind.

I've never respected Whitlock much at all, and I'm probably not going to comment on this article further, as it strikes me to have been written for the sake of inciting response than any actual merit. Unfortunately, this isn't a rare tactic in the world today.
          Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

"LJ has some deal with Jay-Z's media company/interests, but it's still stretching it, in my mind."

For some reason, it surprised me that you knew that Geo. Kudos, sir.
            The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

I found that to be one of the most thought-provoking, well-written, and poignant articles I have read about football. He makes two interesting points: the first being how the Indianapolis Colts and New England Patriots rosters contain league high white and non-African American players. The second point is about how Hip-Hop culture has been affecting the league performers, most notably Chad Johnson and Larry Johnson.
              In my opinion we have seen how Hip Hop culture has already effected one of the major leagues in professional sports, the NBA. We see how players like Ron Artest and Allen Iverson act and are punished for their actions and we are beginning to see those type of actions in the NFL. Whether or not we see a brawl like the one that occurred at the Palace in Auburn Hills or a player attack his coach like Latrell Sprewell did remains to be seen. However, like Jason Whitlock stated, the rise of Hip-Hop culture and the need to rebel just to rebel in the NFL is having an adverse effect rather than a positive effect.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
              WHO DAT!

Comment

I still don't see where he gets Chad Johnson from.

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

The NFL is a refelction of today's society like everything else. It is an entertainment industry. People love when they get entertained whether it be sports, sex, or violence. The NFL falls obviously under the sports category and some players feel it is necessary to do more than just play the game. Celebrations, arguing, and other media gestures are used so an individual gets noticed and provides an "entertaining" game for the audience. If people didn't care or it wasn't a part of our culture then people wouldn't do it quite as frequently. I will not dive into the race aspect of this, but I love what Whitlock had to say.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

the only thing working against african americans athletes in this area is that, the majority of problem players in the NFL are african americans so they are all being scrutanised really

Comment

A lot of these players act like primadonnas. They feel they're invincible. TO, come on, grow up man. Yea the sharpie thing was cute, and the camera thing was hilarious, but the note in front of the locker? The nap celebration? Alot of these guys feel they're invincible and can do whatever they want. Look at the "love boat", Pacman and Henry's multiple run ins with the law. I'm not one to say the for sure this is influenced by hip-hop/rap culture, but some of the lyrics in certain artists' songs sure dont help.
                      We ALL bleed scarlet
                      New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
                      UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
                      Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
                      BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

I thought this article was pretty rediculous. It did make me think of something though, why do people make such a big deal out of the number of black QBs? If you're going to do that why is there never any talk about the number of white RBs? Ask almost any football fan and they'll come up with at least twice(I'd even say higher, but let's go with that) as many black QBs than white RBs. I just find it odd how we make a big issure out of one but nothing out of the other.

Comment

this article is worth less. Sure teams are looking to avoid character concerns but the fact that most of the recent headcases have been black has little to do with their race and more to do with their environment while growing up. Sure the fact that a higher percentage of black families are poor plays a role but again attributing that direct directly to their race is just stupid.
                          Last edited by osi+ap=allshallperish; 10-18-2007, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Yuck, couldn't even get through it. Just more senseless racist garbage that isn't drawing outrage because it is written by a Black.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                              The bit about pointing out the number of non-African-American players on the Colts and Patriots was a hollow point, I felt. If they couldn't contribute well to the team, they wouldn't be there no matter their skin color or heritage. Both Belichick and Dungy are defensive-minded coaches, and their defenses are predominantly black, no? So it's a rather stupid point to try to make, in my mind.

Undrafted free agent rookie defensive tackle Ed Johnson is starting over third round pick and All-American at Ohio State Quinn Pitcock, but how can that be when Johnson is black and Pitcock isn't, Whitlock? And Johnson was suspended twice at Penn State? omg he must have been a product of a "hip-hop culture."

Also, I couldn't put much credence in attributing the behavior/attitude of Chad Johnson and Larry Johnson to a "hip-hop culture." LJ has some deal with Jay-Z's media company/interests, but it's still stretching it, in my mind.

I've never respected Whitlock much at all, and I'm probably not going to comment on this article further, as it strikes me to have been written for the sake of inciting response than any actual merit. Unfortunately, this isn't a rare tactic in the world today.
                              wow very well spoken article. I agree with many of your points, but despite that i still find whitlocks article to be very truthful and intriuging. In my mind, the bottom line is the pats and colts are the two best teams, and they have the most white players.. and i find that astonishing

sig by bosanac01

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information