X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Week 9 Thoughts

Top Stories

Adrian Peterson’s Assault on the Record Books

It is very difficult to put sports in perspective. All too often people are enslaved to the moment. It seems that every week you read or hear some superlatives regarding such and such player and/or performance being ‘one of the best of all time.’ Every week during the NFL season we all overanalyze and make assumptions based on one week’s performance. With all that being said I think Adrian Peterson’s game against the Chargers was the most impressive individual performance I have ever seen in football. In the NFL you will often see a changing of the guard moment, especially at the RB position. Barry Sanders walked away and Marshall Faulk became the best RB in the league, Faulk faded away and LaDainian Tomlinson came in and is a shoe-in for Canton, now we’ve seen the emergence of the next great RB. Adrian Peterson is doing things we have never seen before. I just hope he avoids fluke injuries and becomes an all-time great.

Patriots vs. Colts Aftermath

The hype this game got was unbelievable. I mentioned in my Peterson paragraph that it is very common for sports writers’ to go overboard. I think that was definitely the case with this game. Dr. Z of SI in particular posted some statements that I would deem 'overboard' regarding players in this game:

“(Wes Welker) Might be the greatest hot receiver, or blitz-control guy, who ever lived.”

“(Logan Mankins) the NFL's best guard.”

“(Asante Samuel) As close to a shutdown corner as the league has.”

“(Bob Sanders) A mini-Ray Lewis in Lewis' prime.”

That is a little too much anointing for my taste, and I didn’t even mention Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Peyton Manning, etc.

My first thought when Roosevelt Colvin caught the ball in the air after Peyton was hit by his blindside is “wow, I cannot believe the Patriots pulled this out.” They committed ghastly mistakes on both sides of the ball, they allowed Joseph Addai to run all over them, Brady looked somewhat mortal, and still they went into Indianapolis and beat the Colts. Now the Colts have to go into Foxboro in January to get to the Super Bowl, and I am convinced that is something they cannot do.

By the way: is it a coincidence that the presence of Randy Moss leads to a QB having his best individual season ever? Randall Cunningham, who prior to his ’98 season was an erratic passer, put up MVP statistics. Daunte Culpepper has been awful with Moss gone. Now Tom Brady is going to eviscerate Peyton Manning’s historic ’04 season. Even Jeff George had a great season in ’99. If Randy Moss wouldn’t have vanished into obscurity in Oakland would he have been considered the most dominant WR of all time?

“Thoughts” Analysis

Now that every team has played eight games I figured I should re-visit my pre-season column. A lot of good, but at the same time I missed on more than I would like.

Indianapolis will not win the AFC South”

I was right about the Colts missing Tarik Glenn; however, I assumed that their defense was going to play poorly. They were starting a rookie UDFA nose tackle and have young players all over that side of the ball. The fact that they have played solid defense has shielded their LT position from the pressure of playing catch-up. In the game against Patriots we all saw the effects of not having a pro-bowl LT protecting Manning. The Colts, though, have not been in that situation enough for my prediction to be right. Tennessee has an outside shot, but when Garrard went down and Jacksonville lost to Indianapolis I knew that I most likely got this one wrong.

“Jay Cutler will establish himself as a top flight NFL QB for the next decade”

Jay Cutler has shown flashes of brilliance. He has led his team in tough situations to put his team in position to win or tie. He has a nice passer rating. I just didn’t anticipate Javon Walker and the O-Line to be injured. This may be a year too early. I was right that he was the best of the ’06 big three though.

“Mario Williams will become one of the best Defensive Ends in football”

He was already solid at the P.O.A as a rookie. So far he’s only improved. His pass rushing still needs a little more work, but it’s encouraging that he’s matched last year’s sack totals through half the season. If he finishes the season strong after the bye week I think this will be a good prediction.

Vernon Davis will emerged as the only TE who can give Antonio Gates a run for his money”

Injuries and Alex Smith’s ineptitude have kept this one from coming true. At least he’s had back to back great games so this isn’t that bad. It’s hard to imagine him becoming an elite TE, production wise, until the 49ers fix their offensive woes. Right now Vernon Davis is their only bright spot on that side of the ball.

“Tom Brady is your 2007 NFL M.V.P”

I was dead on with this prediction. The additions of Moss, Stallworth, and Welker have shown exactly how great Tom Brady is. He has produced top-10 statistics, at the least, with mediocre at best weapons for years now. Now that he finally has weapons that his rival (Peyton Manning) has had he is going to annihilate Manning’s ’04 records.

“Jason Campbell and the Washington Redskins will be this year’s post-hype underrated team”

The Redskins defense is playing much better and right now the Redskins are in the wild-card chase. At the time I wrote this most people had them penciled in as the worst team in the NFC East and a six win team. Jason Campbell, however, won’t take the next step until he has competent receivers. He has yet to throw a TD pass to a WR. The Redskins have been plagued with drop passes and underachievement. If the Redskins finish above .500 I will count this as a ‘win.’

“The Bengals, unlike last year, will not underachieve”

This is my ugliest prediction. The Bengals have imploded. The defense has been weaker than I thought they would be, and the offense has struggled to have any semblance of consistency. I’ll notch this one as a loss for me.

“The Jets are this year’s Jaguars”

I couldn’t have been more right. The Jets had no business making the post-season last year, doing so on an easy schedule, and their record this year is indicative of that. The talent simply isn’t there.

“Rise of the …. Lions? That cannot be right!”

I feel really good about this one. Rod Marinelli has this team going in the right direction. With Kevin Jones back to give their offense balance and a defense that’s playing much better together, they look like they are only getting stronger as the season goes along. How many people thought they would be 6-2?

“Larry Johnson will not be considered an elite RB by year’s end”

This is another good prediction for me. His pass blocking, more importantly his effort, have been atrocious. He also has not shown the same anger and burst he’s had in years’ past. I think that with a mediocre O-Line, and complacency from a new contract, have contributed to an unspectacular season for Larry Johnson. Now he’s likely to miss a few games to an ankle injury.

Draft Coverage

Matt Ryan: exposed

To me college acclaim is not important. I could care less about the constant “Heisman debates” that everyone else seems to get engaged in. I am all about the NFL, and I have no qualms admitting that. I will tune into college football for big games and big prospects. When I saw Matt Ryan play very well against Georgia Tech I became a fan of his. So I was eager to see what he was made off when Boston College faced the “meat” of their schedule. Would he be Jay Cutler pt. 2 and play up to the level of his opponents? Well I think I know the answer to that question. Against Virginia Tech and Florida State he has quite frankly not played well. Games against top flight collegiate defenses are the easiest way to see what a QB prospect is made out of; can he handle the pass rush? Can he make the stick throws against fast defenses? It’s impossible to say that Matt Ryan hasn’t seen his stock drop with two lackluster performances.

no packers news this week.

Comment

I think Adrian Peterson is kinda good at football.
      my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
      <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
      <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
      <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
      Originally posted by Hermstheman83
      What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
        Indianapolis will not win the AFC South”

I was right about the Colts missing Tarik Glenn; however, I assumed that their defense was going to play poorly. They were starting a rookie UDFA nose tackle and have young players all over that side of the ball. The fact that they have played solid defense has shielded their LT position from the pressure of playing catch-up. In the game against Patriots we all saw the effects of not having a pro-bowl LT protecting Manning. The Colts, though, have not been in that situation enough for my prediction to be right. Tennessee has an outside shot, but when Garrard went down and Jacksonville lost to Indianapolis I knew that I most likely got this one wrong.
        Goodness, you're reaching horribly with a lot of the above. They missed Tony Ugoh, case closed. Ugoh is a superior pass-protector and far superior run-blocker to Charlie Johnson.
        Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

It is easy to play LT when you are in the lead. If the Colts' defense was as bad as they were in '06 I think I would have been right. I miscalculated on how good/bad they were going to be.

Comment

It is easy to play LT when you are in the lead. If the Colts' defense was as bad as they were in '06 I think I would have been right. I miscalculated on how good/bad they were going to be.
            I still can't believe that defence is an effective unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
              Goodness, you're reaching horribly with a lot of the above. They missed Tony Ugoh, case closed. Ugoh is a superior pass-protector and far superior run-blocker to Charlie Johnson.
              Ditto. If Marvin comes back for the rematch in January completely healthy, it should make it an even closer game. Heck, you guys were playing with Moorehead out there, and came pretty close.

Comment

Originally posted by Moses View Post
                That makes two of us.

Comment

K2>Vernon Davis

Once Gates falls off the hill those two are will most likely be head and shoulders above the rest of the league.

DChess resizing inc.

Reality is relative.

We don't give a DAMN for the whole state of Michigan

Comment

Originally posted by Freddy G View Post
                    K2>Vernon Davis

Once Gates falls off the hill those two are will most likely be head and shoulders above the rest of the league.
                    If he can stay healthy man, if only then I would agree. I am still skeptical.

Comment

Originally posted by Moses View Post
                      It's effective because of its speed and good tackling. It's hard to run on them because everyone just gangs up on the ball carrier until he gives up running. How long they can sustain that during cold weather is another question entirely.

And Moss is just the ultimate bail out of Brady. Some of the things he does with underthrown passes is incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                        It's effective because of its speed and good tackling. It's hard to run on them because everyone just gangs up on the ball carrier until he gives up running. How long they can sustain that during cold weather is another question entirely.
                        It's just weird that they're undersized at every level and use a lot of techniques that seem like they would make them very susceptible to the run (i.e. pass rushing upfield without gap control). Still, they manage to make it work so more power to them.

Comment

The Colts don't pass the ball? Opponents haven't pass rushed against Tony Ugoh? Read what you're writing, Shiver. You talk like the Colts have built-up two-touchdown-leads before the first quarter ended.

The Colts missed Ugoh and a third receiver worth throwing to, once Gonzalez dislocated his thumb on the first play of the game. The Patriots made sure Dallas Clark wasn't going to beat them again, and Wayne couldn't make all the plays by himself. Aaron Moorehead can't catch and can't stay in bounds when he does; other than that, he's great though.
                          Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

If he can stay healthy man, if only then I would agree. I am still skeptical.
                            Yeah that's one thing that separates Gates from the other two. He has stayed relatively healthy his entire career so far.
                            Plus it helps that he can run such precise routes for TE. Heck, he's one of the best receivers right now. Look at what he did to Bailey in the Denver game.

Speaking of which, I'm just agast at how terrible Norv used him in the Vikings game.
                            Last edited by Xenos; 11-05-2007, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Freddy G View Post
                              K2>Vernon Davis

Jason Witten and Jeremy Shockey will still be better TEs than K2 or Davis

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information