Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Respect for Rivers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    I think Phillip Rivers and Eli Manning both came into their own the second half of this season. To me, they have finally arrived as legitimate QBs and justified the high draft choices it cost to bring them on board. Just goes to show you really need to wait three or 4 years to make final evaluations on QBs


    Eeez Ezpecially Delicious

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by adamprez2003 View Post
      I think Phillip Rivers and Eli Manning both came into their own the second half of this season. To me, they have finally arrived as legitimate QBs and justified the high draft choices it cost to bring them on board. Just goes to show you really need to wait three or 4 years to make final evaluations on QBs
      Yep, and for eveyone who still thinks JP Lossman is a good QB, let me tell you that out of the 4 1st round QB's selected that year, he is not only the only one ot never make it to a Conference Championship, but the only one to never make it to a playoff game.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by ChargerCohen View Post
        83 was the big one. Don't judge Rivers' arm strength on today, he couldn't plant so all his throws were entirely upper body. He still did fine. The kid can make all the throws when healthy, even though he doesn't have a cannon.
        good point people dont take in to consideration all the things that go into making a good powerful throw. Rivers did insane considering the circumstances he was under... The wind was a major factor to so he did fine with no lower power body and a gusty wind.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Billingsley26 View Post
          Different cirumstances. I see your point. But Brady got in Smith's face because he guaranteed a win against the Pats. Ive still yet to see why Rivers went off so hard on Cutler.
          Cutler was jawing with Phillips and Wilhelm even when his team was down in the fourth quarter. After the 3 and out during that play, Rivers came to congratulate Phillips and Wilhelm, and in the process, stared down Cutler.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Forenci View Post
            I give him credit for playing through a tough injury, but he needs to stop the trash talking stuff. He hasn't done enough in my eyes to earn that right yet.

            There's a difference from having fun (like Brett Favre does) and just talking trash. Heck, if Brett wanted to talk trash, I think he'd have earned that right.

            Maybe Tom Brady too, as I know he'll talk a bit from time to time. At least he's earned the right to though. Of course, doesn't mean I have to like it.
            But then you're holding a double standard for Favre. Do you think that Favre only started trash talking when he won a championship or became great with the Packers? No, he was a trash talker even when he had problems with the Atlanta Falcons.

            Comment


            • #36
              I was reading about how he had his knee scoped before the game, and now he needs his ACL repaired so he might miss all of his off season, shouldnt be too much doubt about his heart, tough that I was looking forward to this match up but would of really liked to see it with both teams at full strength





              Originally posted by Scott Wright
              I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

              Comment


              • #37
                Rivers ACL totally gone; LT doesn't need surgery

                http://weblog.signonsandiego.com/spo...log/index.html

                Turns out, Philip Rivers ACL is completely gone and he will have reconstructive surgery in the coming weeks. The recovery times is unknown, but he is expected to be ready for the 2008 season.

                Running back LaDainian Tomlinson said his sprained MCL will heal with about a month's rest.

                Comment


                • #38
                  ^ Played on a torn ACL. Absolutely amazing.

                  It will probably be forgotten quite quickly because the Chargers lost but that is one of the greatest performances I have ever seen. He really put his career and future "life" on the line by playing in that game.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    WOW a torn ACL?a gutty preformance

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Billingsley26 View Post
                      Different cirumstances. I see your point. But Brady got in Smith's face because he guaranteed a win against the Pats. Ive still yet to see why Rivers went off so hard on Cutler.
                      But Brady is the Golden boy... a Class act, he never shows immaturity.

                      But after a TD pass, he seeks out a 2nd year safety in the End Zone and mouths off until James Harrison told him to go sit down.

                      Thats cool. And the Anthony Smith quote was the WEAKEST Guarantee ever. "If our offense plays better than them, and we actually get some help from ST's, and our defense shuts them down, If that happens I guarantee we win".


                      As for Rivers. Kudos to keep going with a Tore ACL, Getting Leg Whipped, and Getting pushed after the play by Seymour.

                      Man I wonder what would really happen if Refs called Roughing the Passer equally.

                      Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        http://chargers.com/news/headlines/q...s-about-lt.htm
                        Questions about LT’s toughness are comical to teammate


                        As Charger players cleaned out their lockers Monday following their final team meeting of the 2007 season, they paused for a little comic relief as they listened to the talking heads question LaDainian Tomlinson’s toughness after he missed most of the AFC Championship Game with a sprained knee.

                        “That’s foolish,” offensive tackle Marcus McNeill said. “If LT can go, he’s going to go. He knows how big of a part of this team he is. Just for anybody to criticize him is disappointing to hear.”

                        Tomlinson suffered a hyper-extended knee in the Bolts’ Divisional Playoff win at Indianapolis, spraining his MCL. The injury normally requires a four-week rehabilitation period, but Tomlinson wanted so bad to be on the field against New England that he pushed his way through it.

                        “My thinking last week was it was going to take some time, but I figured I’d be able to play through it and try to go,” said the NFL’s two-time defending rushing champion. “For most people it’s four weeks. I tried to play in one week. I tried to tough it out. It just wouldn’t allow me to do anything.”

                        LT was on the field for the first two series Sunday, but after being hit on the first play, he re-aggravated the injury and knew he wouldn’t be effective.

                        “If I would have played, I clearly wouldn’t have been affective,” Tomlinson said. “When you have a sprained MCL, you can’t cut like your normal self. Your knee drags. You can’t explode. Any time you get hit it shifts a little bit. It’s unstable.”

                        Tomlinson’s spectator status caused some to criticize him for not gutting it out during such an important game. But with his physical limitations, coaches and team doctors decided it was best to keep the former NFL MVP on the sidelines.

                        “People who know LT and people who have watched him play, it’s not having all the information,” Head Coach Norv Turner said. “I know sometimes information is hard to get, but if there was a way LT could have gotten back in that game he would have.”

                        Tomlinson urged his critics to look at his history of playing through pain.

                        “I’ve played in games that were meaningless and was kind of banged up but I still played,” Tomlinson said. “It didn’t mean anything. For me to get to this point and really couldn’t play, I’ve fought through a lot of stuff and this was something that I really couldn’t do. It was a horrible situation.”

                        No surgery

                        Tomlinson’s injury will simply require rest, no operation to make any repairs. Doctors are still forming opinions as to whether or not tight end Antonio Gates will need surgery to repair his dislocated big toe.

                        “There are mixed reports and he’s going to see a number of people,” Turner said. “I think one of the reports is that it might be the best thing for him to have something done in there just for the long term.”

                        Turner praised Gates for the way he battled through his injury and also lauded defensive tackle Jamal Williams for playing through pain near the end of the season.

                        “(Jamal) was a deal where he just had a high ankle sprain and he needs rest,” Turner said. “A lot of guys don’t play with that high ankle sprain but he found a way. Again, as we talked late in the week and talked about different personnel groupings in case he wasn’t able to go, he said, ‘This is the AFC Championship Game. You ain’t getting me out of the game.’”

                        Hardware time

                        Chargers players voted on team awards Monday and LT was named MVP and Offensive Player of the Year for the fifth time in his career. Kassim Osgood earned Special Teams Player of the Year honors, Antonio Cromartie took home the Defensive Player of the Year award, teammates voted Kris Dielman the Lineman of the Year and Philip Rivers and Carlos Polk shared the Emil Karas Inspirational Player of the Year award.


                        Status quo

                        All of the Chargers’ assistants are currently under contract and Turner said that at this point no teams have requested permission to interview anyone from his staff for another position.

                        Aloha!

                        As a result of Sunday’s loss, Turner and his staff will coach the AFC squad at the Pro Bowl, which will be held February 10. A day after having his Super Bowl hopes fall short, Turner hadn’t had much time to think about the consolation prize.

                        “My kids are excited,” Turner said. “They get to go. The Pro Bowl is a great thing.”

                        Pats or G-Men?

                        Turner was asked Monday who he’d be pulling for in the Super Bowl, but he’s not ready to choose sides.

                        “The suddenness of not being in it, I haven’t given much thought as to who I’m pulling for,” Turner said.
                        Last edited by Xenos; 01-21-2008, 11:08 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                          But then you're holding a double standard for Favre. Do you think that Favre only started trash talking when he won a championship or became great with the Packers? No, he was a trash talker even when he had problems with the Atlanta Falcons.
                          I'm not holding a double standard for Favre. I merely said, that in this point in his career, Favre has probably earned that right. I also said, I don't like it - but he's an accomplished enough QB to where he's probably earned the right.

                          Same with Brady.

                          When Rivers has won a couple of Super Bowl rings, gone to several Pro-Bowls (for what thats worth these days) - then fine. Talk trash Rivers, you have the right at that point.

                          Like I said, I don't like it when players trash talk, but that's just me. It's part of the game, but I wouldn't want to see my QB jawing with fans on the sideline. I want to see him focused on the game.

                          With all that said and done, he certainly gained a ton of respect from me after his effort on the field. Especially if he was playing with a torn ACL. I couldn't even fathom that. That takes serious guts. I think he'll turn into a good QB for the Chargers too.
                          (shameless self-promotion)
                          Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
                          https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Forenci View Post
                            I'm not holding a double standard for Favre. I merely said, that in this point in his career, Favre has probably earned that right. I also said, I don't like it - but he's an accomplished enough QB to where he's probably earned the right.

                            Same with Brady.

                            When Rivers has won a couple of Super Bowl rings, gone to several Pro-Bowls (for what thats worth these days) - then fine. Talk trash Rivers, you have the right at that point.

                            Like I said, I don't like it when players trash talk, but that's just me. It's part of the game, but I wouldn't want to see my QB jawing with fans on the sideline. I want to see him focused on the game.

                            With all that said and done, he certainly gained a ton of respect from me after his effort on the field. Especially if he was playing with a torn ACL. I couldn't even fathom that. That takes serious guts. I think he'll turn into a good QB for the Chargers too.
                            Him trashing talking to fans at the end of the game (probably because they caused it) isn't going to change his work ethics or his dedication to the game.

                            Do I wish he stopped trash talking to fans? Yes. That's really the only thing that I would change about his personality. But if it's what gets him going and being good, then I don't see the harm in it as long as it doesn't cross the line. And so far it hasn't. I mean if all he says is "thank you," "I'll be back," and "I appreciate it" after the Indy fans are cheering him leaving the game with an injury and flipping him off, then I don't see what the big deal is. I doubt the game ending trash talking to the fans was any worst than that.

                            Hey, maybe we would have won the game if he trash talk a little more in the AFC Championship.
                            Last edited by Xenos; 01-22-2008, 01:25 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              No, no, no. I don't think you guys read that right. He didn't play with a torn ACL. He played with NO ACL AT ALL! He had surgery before the game to have the whole thing removed. That is some Curt Schilling **** right there.

                              Phillip Rivers has now earned the right to talk as much trash as he wants. He put his entire career on the line all for the sake of simply getting the chance to go to the Super Bowl. Unreal.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by Jay View Post
                                No, no, no. I don't think you guys read that right. He didn't play with a torn ACL. He played with NO ACL AT ALL! He had surgery before the game to have the whole thing removed. That is some Curt Schilling **** right there.

                                Phillip Rivers has now earned the right to talk as much trash as he wants. He put his entire career on the line all for the sake of simply getting the chance to go to the Super Bowl. Unreal.
                                That's a pretty big distinction some of you are missing. No one can question his toughness or willingness to compete again.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information