No announcement yet.

Falcons expected to name Mike Smith head coach

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it is funny that Michael Smith is the one breaking the story for ESPN.

Comment

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't get this hire though. Atlanta is built for man coverage, they have great CBs, and they have the pieces to be a pretty good blitzing aggressive man coverage 4-3 scheme.

However, Smith runs a lot of zone and Cover 2, something Mora didn't exactly succeed with just prior to having Zimmer there. The fit doesn't make sense to me.

But then again this is Arthur Blank we're talking about. He really has no clue what he's doing. I like Smith, and I like the personality he brings to the team, but unless he changes his scheme to fit the players, I don't like this hire.

As a Giants fan I love it bc Spags has one less place to go to, but for the Falcons, right here right now I question the fit.

Comment

Phew.

The Giants offseason would have been made or broken by Spags staying or going.
        Originally posted by Paul
        Eli's opportunity to become a legend.
        Originally posted by Vikes99ej
        These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
        MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Comment

Interesting comments made by former Jag Marcellus Wiley on First Take.

He basically said that Mike Smith was a figurehead in Jacksonville, and that Jack Del Rio and even Mike Peterson were the defensive coordinator more than Mike Smith. He said that no one in the locker room really respected him, and that he was just a guy that stood in the front of the locker room.
          Last edited by The Unseen; 01-23-2008, 12:22 PM.

by BoneKrusher
          <DG> how metal unseen
          <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
            I really like the scheme he runs. Which is why I want him with the Giants another year. I think the players and assistants really need one more year in the scheme. If we are to lose him after next season, I think a position coach could possibly take over and leave the scheme in place.

Screw that, after the Raiders fire Rob Ryan next year we will take whoever is your best defensive assistant, so Spags better stay two more years.

Comment

I'm guessing Mike Singletary is content with staying as a defensive assistant after all.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
              WHO DAT!

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                Why would Ryan be the defensive coordinator in Atlanta when he can take better DC jobs in Baltimore or Miami?
                just left Baltimore and in Miami there is less D talent than here:

Miami vs. Atlanta

D-line
                Taylor vs. Abraham = Push
                Traylor/Soliai vs. Lewis/Stanley = Push
                Holliday/Wright vs. Coleman/Babineaux = Falcons
                Roth vs. Anderson = Falcons
                Linebackers
                Channing Crowder vs. Michael Boley = Falcons
                Zach Thomas vs. Keith Brooking = Push
                Joey Porter vs. Demorrio Williams = Dolphins
                Secondary
                Allen vs. Hall = Falcons
                Lehan vs. Houston = Falcons
                Goodman/Daniels vs. Irons/Sanders = Dolphins
                Worrell vs. Milloy = Falcons
                Allen vs. Crocker/Williams = Push

overall advantage is to Atlanta in terms of general defensive personnel. and he just got fired from BALT. I coudl see him coming to Atlanta

Owner of ScarDraft
                Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                  YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't get this hire though. Atlanta is built for man coverage, they have great CBs, and they have the pieces to be a pretty good blitzing aggressive man coverage 4-3 scheme.

However, Smith runs a lot of zone and Cover 2, something Mora didn't exactly succeed with just prior to having Zimmer there. The fit doesn't make sense to me.

But then again this is Arthur Blank we're talking about. He really has no clue what he's doing. I like Smith, and I like the personality he brings to the team, but unless he changes his scheme to fit the players, I don't like this hire.

As a Giants fan I love it bc Spags has one less place to go to, but for the Falcons, right here right now I question the fit.
                  Arthur Blank has a perfectly fine idea of what he's doing. brought in Dimitroff, and now Smith, who should bring in schemers at OC and DC that are smart enough to use our players talents.

Owner of ScarDraft
                  Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report

Comment

Well, he doesn't have much of a choice does he, given that no one in the pros is hiring him for a head coaching job.
                    Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Originally posted by scar988 View Post
                      just left Baltimore and in Miami there is less D talent than here:

Miami vs. Atlanta

D-line
                      Taylor vs. Abraham = Push
                      Traylor/Soliai vs. Lewis/Stanley = Push
                      Holliday/Wright vs. Coleman/Babineaux = Falcons
                      Roth vs. Anderson = Falcons
                      Linebackers
                      Channing Crowder vs. Michael Boley = Falcons
                      Zach Thomas vs. Keith Brooking = Push
                      Joey Porter vs. Demorrio Williams = Dolphins
                      Secondary
                      Allen vs. Hall = Falcons
                      Lehan vs. Houston = Falcons
                      Goodman/Daniels vs. Irons/Sanders = Dolphins
                      Worrell vs. Milloy = Falcons
                      Allen vs. Crocker/Williams = Push

overall advantage is to Atlanta in terms of general defensive personnel. and he just got fired from BALT. I coudl see him coming to Atlanta
                      Taylor vs. Abraham = Push? I'd take an aging Taylor over Abraham any day of the week.

Roth vs Anderson = Anderson. Maybe only because Anderson was a rookie. Otherwise I don't think you can that definitively. I wasn't impressed with Anderson at all. I had him pegged for a bust and still do.

Comment

sweeeeet. now Rex Ryan can come back to the ravens.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                        Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy

Comment

Originally posted by The Unseen View Post
                          Interesting comments made by former Jag Marcellus Wiley on First Take.

He basically said that Mike Smith was a figurehead in Jacksonville, and that Jack Del Rio and even Mike Peterson were the defensive coordinator more than Mike Smith. He said that no one in the locker room really respected him, and that he was just a guy that stood in the front of the locker room.
                          Marcellus Wiley is Mr.Sour grapes he seems to always have a problem with someone or something so that really dont hold any weight with me.

Comment

Originally posted by scar988 View Post
                            sounds good to me. hopefully we bring in Rex Ryan for DC.
                            ya that would be awesome for the Falcons if they got r ryan too

Comment

Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
                              Taylor vs. Abraham = Push? I'd take an aging Taylor over Abraham any day of the week.

Roth vs Anderson = Anderson. Maybe only because Anderson was a rookie. Otherwise I don't think you can that definitively. I wasn't impressed with Anderson at all. I had him pegged for a bust and still do.
                              FOOLISHNESS...this is totally a push. Abe is one of the best pass rushers in the league...absolute monster...constant double triple and quadruple at times...give me a break. Abe was the focus against the other teams when it was pass rushing situations...

Roth v. Anderson...push too maybe...but Anderson is very good against the run and towards the end of the season really started getting some good pressure on the QBs.

Comment

Originally posted by iloxygenil View Post
                                FOOLISHNESS...this is totally a push. Abe is one of the best pass rushers in the league...absolute monster...constant double triple and quadruple at times...give me a break. Abe was the focus against the other teams when it was pass rushing situations...

Roth v. Anderson...push too maybe...but Anderson is very good against the run and towards the end of the season really started getting some good pressure on the QBs.
                                Abraham is one of the best passh rushers in the league when he wants to play and when he isn't hurt. Which isn't as often as most want. Jason Taylor is a borderline Hall of Famer and was DPOY just a year ago. There is also something called defending the run. Abraham tends to forget that sometimes as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information