Salary Cap Could Be Gone For Good

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TitleTown088 View Post
    What do you want to be the Yankees of the NFL ? You need to buy championships?
    if you see their reactions you'd start to believe the Redskins, Cowboys and such suck so bad they need to get an unfair advantage in order to win a superbowl... Surely, I am misunderstanding their enthousiasm.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
    don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Sometimes I call it "salary crap" :)

Thanks to darnik44two for the sig

Dream Pats Draft:
      1. Vernon Gholston, LB, tOSU
      2. Adarious Bowman, WR, Ok St
      3a. Charles Godfrey, CB, Iowa
      3b. Kevin Smith, RB, UCF
      4. Peyton Hillis, RB, Ark
      5. Jermichael Finley, TE, Texas
      6. Brian Witherspoon, CB, Stillman
      7. Pierre Garcon, WR, Mt Union

Comment

Originally posted by TimDris View Post
        Wow if the cap is gone this is going to be a completely different NFL. THe 'Boys and 'Skins would dominate.
        Just like the Knicks who have 2x the payroll of the Spurs.....

But seriously, I would hate to see this happen. Even as a Mets fan, a championship is really not as sweet as a Superbowl win....

Comment

Turning the nfl into baseball now, Parity is one of the best things going for football right now and makes me love the game so much...Talent has to spread out, and teams are able to turn it around so much quicker, no cap we know whose getting all the players and id rather not hear anyone cry about how they hate the cowboys for any more reasons.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
          I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

This would be the worst possible thing that I could imagine. It would be way to hard for Green Bay to keeps its head above water and if they managed to hold onto a team then they'd be about as competitive as the Marlins of baseball.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Originally posted by Patriots16-0 View Post
              Sometimes I call it "salary crap" :)
              most useless post EVER

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
              don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

The cost control associated with a salary cap gives the owners a nearly guaranteed profit margin. While the Redskins and Cowboys would likely spend a great deal (then recoup the money by gouging their fans), most clubs would choose to keep their salary structure within the boundaries of the projected salary cap. With all of the debt servicing involved with many NFL stadiums (Colts, Giants/Jets, Cowboys, Redskins, Jags, Broncos, Bears, Seahawks, etc.), the owners cannot necessarily afford to pay the players whatever they feel like and still turn a profit.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

it can work if they have revenue sharing like baseball. i for one, don't want to see this happen.

Comment

The owners had better take a look at the MLB and be warned. About half of major league baseball teams have bad to terrible attendance because people are not going to pay money to watch a team that they know has no chance. The NFL would see a significant fall in popularity if this happens.

I am done arguing, until somebody says something stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post
                      This would be the worst possible thing that I could imagine. It would be way to hard for Green Bay to keeps its head above water and if they managed to hold onto a team then they'd be about as competitive as the Marlins of baseball.
                      Yeah, better start buying those Packers stocks if you wanna help out.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
                      they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
                      Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

I really would not like to see this happen. I think things are good the way they are.

Sick Sig by BoneKrusher

WHO DAT

Comment

I don't think anyone wants to see this happen. The players are getting paid and are happy. Most owners have a built-in profit margin and are building their coffers significantly because they cannot spend over a certain amount. Why would ownership risk a near guaranteed profit margin? Let's face facts:

1.) The players have a good deal, and they aren't going to accept a lower percentage of revenue. It will take an extended strike before this can happen.

2.) Lower revenue franchises need the salary cap to control their own costs. Even then, they have trouble competing in terms of facilities, scouting, etc.

3.) Medium revenue franchises are petrified to risk their profit margin to compete with the high revenue owners. They would rather keep the status quo than risk it.

4.) Large revenue clubs have the most to lose here. Because they make the most money with luxury boxes, local media contracts, and apparel, they risk eating a significant portion of their own money just to potentially get an edge in competition.

5.) I don't see how the players can accept a situation where they don't have guaranteed contracts, but the owners can "spend" as much as they want. In the long run, it is possible that it will hurt player revenues.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Yes, this is completely fair to all of the small-market teams in the NFL.

Originally Posted by scottyboy
                            my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
                            But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
                              I don't think anyone wants to see this happen. The players are getting paid and are happy. Most owners have a built-in profit margin and are building their coffers significantly because they cannot spend over a certain amount. Why would ownership risk a near guaranteed profit margin? Let's face facts:

1.) The players have a good deal, and they aren't going to accept a lower percentage of revenue. It will take an extended strike before this can happen.

2.) Lower revenue franchises need the salary cap to control their own costs. Even then, they have trouble competing in terms of facilities, scouting, etc.

3.) Medium revenue franchises are petrified to risk their profit margin to compete with the high revenue owners. They would rather keep the status quo than risk it.

4.) Large revenue clubs have the most to lose here. Because they make the most money with luxury boxes, local media contracts, and apparel, they risk eating a significant portion of their own money just to potentially get an edge in competition.

5.) I don't see how the players can accept a situation where they don't have guaranteed contracts, but the owners can "spend" as much as they want. In the long run, it is possible that it will hurt player revenues.
                              I agree with you 100% I really hope this does not happen

Sick Sig by BoneKrusher

WHO DAT

Comment

I don't think anyone wants it to happen. However, I do think there will be a strike in the future. Every year, the cost of paying the players 60% of revenues is higher and higher. I'm not certain that revenues will grow as quickly as they have been the last 5-6 years. I'm also pretty sure that the owners are not going to let the players get much more of a piece of the pie than 60%. They do have significant operating costs, and they need to run their businesses. I foresee a big clash in the future, but not in 2008-2009. Maybe 2011-2012 or soon after.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information