Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jimmy Johnson: I videotaped signals

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sp...-is-overblown/

Q: How about the spying thing Jimmy. You’re a coach does that bother you what Belichick did?

JJ: Oh please. I’ve said it on our show. Eighteen years ago a scout for the Chiefs told me what they did, and he said what you need to do is just take your camera and you go and zoom in on the signal caller and that way you can sync it up. The problem is that if they’re not on the press box side you can’t do it from the press box, you have to do it from the sideline. This was 18 years ago.

Q: You think the NFL came down too hard on them?

JJ: No, no, I said it on the show. He was wrong for doing it for the simple reason that the league knew this was going on not just in New England but around the league. And the league sent out the memorandum to all of the teams saying you cannot do this. And so that’s when Bill Belichick was wrong. After he got the memorandum saying don’t do it any more, he did it.

Q: Did you ever steal signals?

JJ: Oh in a heartbeat, yeah. Yes I did.

Q: Via video, Jimmy? Or no?

JJ: Oh yeah, I did it with video and so did a lot of other teams in the league.
    Just to make sure that you could study it and take your time, because you’re going to play the other team the second time around. But a lot of coaches did it, this was commonplace.

Q: But did you do it by taping the signal caller?

JJ: Yeah.

Q: Oh you did.

JJ: That’s what I’m saying. I was saying one of Marty Schottenheimer’s scouts, Mark Hatley, who has passed away now, Mark told me that’s how they did it, and Howard Mudd their offensive line coach with Kansas City, who now coaches for Tony Dungy, he was the best in the entire league at stealing signals.

Q: Where’d you put your guy who was videotaping? Where was he?

JJ: My guy was up with my camera crew in the press box. So you’d just put an extra camera up with your camera crew in the press box who zoomed in on the signal callers. That’s the best way to do it, but anyway you can’t always do that because the press box camera crew might be on the same side as the opposing team. If they’re on the same side as the opposing team that’s when you need to do it from the sideline.
    I am making a new thread so it is clear and not hidden in some threads that no one posts about. This is not a way of condoning the action, but pointing out that another Super Bowl winning coach did EXACTLY what Bill Belichick is getting destroyed for.

So... that implements the Chiefs, Cowboys and Dolphins to go along with the Patriots... I would love to hear some opinions on this.

Originally posted by Jay View Post
    http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sp...-is-overblown/

I am making a new thread so it is clear and not hidden in some threads that no one posts about. This is not a way of condoning the action, but pointing out that another Super Bowl winning coach did EXACTLY what Bill Belichick is getting destroyed for.

So... that implements the Chiefs, Cowboys and Dolphins to go along with the Patriots... I would love to hear some opinions on this.
    Do you mean incriminates?

Oldie but a goodie.

Comment

Originally posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
      Do you mean incriminates?
      The three long islands are saying implements right now, I'll let you know what they say in the morning.

Comment

Does it make it any more right? No...

Comment

Originally posted by iloxygenil View Post
          Does it make it any more right? No...
          Winner winner chicken dinner.

by BoneKrusher
          <DG> how metal unseen
          <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

Seems pretty hypocritical to me to call the Patriots cheaters and question the validity of their Super Bowls and not do the same to the Cowboys. I'm not seeing any difference whatsoever in the two actions.

Comment

ok, so he's a cheater. This doesn't exempt Bellicheck... as stated before, it's still not right. 2 wrongs don't make a right
              We ALL bleed scarlet
              New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
              UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
              Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
              BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

Cheaters get caught!
                my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Haha...you got drunk off of three long islands? I think that should be the topic of this thread.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

I'm not drunk but buzzed enough to make the mistake.

Comment

i dont care...ive never cared. every team does it. you dont make it in the pros without doing it. is it right? no, its not right. but every team cheats in one form or another...

for example, how do you account for FAs signing with new teams within mere hours of the start of FA each year? those few hours arent enough to plan out a contract....and if either the team or the player/agent talked with one another before hand, that would be cheating. but it happens, whoa boy!

point of the argument is, everyone cheats. deal with it. sure its not right, but its never going to completely go away.

if your not cheating, your not trying

enjoy it for what it is and stop being dicks. i get tired of hearing about all the cheating and whatnot.....the pats were just the only ones so far dumb enough to get caught

Comment

Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
                        ok, so he's a cheater. This doesn't exempt Bellicheck... as stated before, it's still not right. 2 wrongs don't make a right
                        I'm not asking for anyone to exempt him, but this is proving my theory that if it happened with anyone else, no one would care. This interview is from SEPTEMBER. A man who won Super Bowls with the Dallas Cowboys admitted to doing the exact thing Bill Belichick did... and no one cares. No questions. Nothing.

It's laughable. If they did the same thing then they need to be treated the same. Either people start treating Jimmy Johnson and all of his teams that he "cheated" with the same way they treat Bill Belichick and the Patriots or vice versa. There is no room for anything in between.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
                          i dont care...ive never cared. every team does it. you dont make it in the pros without doing it. is it right? no, its not right. but every team cheats in one form or another...

for example, how do you account for FAs signing with new teams within mere hours of the start of FA each year? those few hours arent enough to plan out a contract....and if either the team or the player/agent talked with one another before hand, that would be cheating. but it happens, whoa boy!

point of the argument is, everyone cheats. deal with it. sure its not right, but its never going to completely go away.

if your not cheating, your not trying

enjoy it for what it is and stop being dicks. i get tired of hearing about all the cheating and whatnot.....the pats were just the only ones so far dumb enough to get caught
                          BINGO. Nailed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
                            BINGO. Nailed it.
                            I'm over it. The Pats cheated for years and their dynasty is tarnished. Lets move on.

Comment

So the Cowboys dynasty is tarnished too then, right?

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information