San Fransisco Penalized for Briggs Tampering

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
    Aw nuts, I forgot that our pick was the 75th pick, not the 90th (which we got from the Chargers). Oh well, it really works out to the Niners losing a 5th and a 6th, not a big deal.
    Check your math. The difference between the 39 and 44 overall picks is 50 points. That amounts to a mid 4th rounder. That's a steep price.

A mid 4th and a fairly high 5th is really steep.

Basically added all together the Niners gave up a high 4th round pick (value wise) for talking to a player.

The Pats gave up a really really low 1st for getting caught cheating. Something doesn't add up in my book. Maybe it's just me but what the Pats did was so much worse then what the Niners did and I don't think the punishment is adding up. Either the Niners got hit way too hard or the Pats got hit way, way too easy.
    Last edited by Joeyjr09; 03-24-2008, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
      Check your math. The difference between the 39 and 44 overall picks is 50 points. That amounts to a mid 4th rounder. That's a steep price.

Basically added all together the Niners gave up a high 4th round pick (value wise) for talking to a player.

The Pats gave up a really really low 1st for getting caught cheating. Something doesn't add up in my book. Maybe it's just me but what the Pats did was so much worse then what the Niners did and I don't think the punishment is adding up. Either the Niners got hit way too hard or the Pats got hit way, way too easy.
      They switched 3rds, not 2nds. The difference is 25 points.

Comment

Check your math, we swapped the 70th and the 75th picks.
        Last edited by bearsfan_51; 03-24-2008, 06:59 PM.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Lost out on the player and lost a pick lame for them great for the Bears.

Comment

If I was a Niners fan, Id hate Mike Nolan.

Comment

The penalty is not such a huge loss, although I do think it sets a precedent for teams moaning about tampering every time it happens in the hopes that they may get to switch draft positions with a team with a higher pick.

IMO the league should have just penalized the 49ers the 5th and been done with it, rather, than giving the bears the 3rd round pick it sets up a dumb precedent for something that doesn't even really help the bears all to much.

The thing that makes this such a mess is that reports say that the 49ers contacted Drew Rosenhaus... who is also the agent of Frank Gore who is already on our team. It's very easy for a team to contact an agent who they already work with and just be like "so how about (insert potential free agents name)" and that would be considered tampering.

Comment

I wonder if we will get a pick for the Dolphins tampering with Smiley.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

I'm actually quite pleased with sliding up in the 3rd. This does offer more flexibility. With the 2nd day now starting in the 3rd round, there stands a possibility that teams will revisit their boards after the first 2 rounds and target specific players at the start of day 2. Or if the Bears feel like moving up to secure someone, it makes that possibility a bit easier now.

Overall, this is big news. Very big. The picks may not be much, but it's the "Goodell Doctrine" for the NFL essentially. He's going to come down hard on things. I could see teams targeting other teams next offseason as a result to try and gain any sort of advantage.

Comment

Well....we cheated and got caught.

Just cause everyone does it doesn't make it right. The sad part is teams will continue to tamper...just hide it better and nobody else will be penalized.

Heck...I'm sure the Bears have even tampered plenty of times. Its a d*** move by the bears, but whats done is done and the penalty isn't horrible.

Comment

good news for the nfc west i guess, but not that big of deal im sure everyone does it

Comment

I know they are low picks but I think it's pretty steep for just talking to the guy when the Pats only gave up a low 1st for flat out blatant cheating.
                        They should have forced them to forfeit their number 7 pick instead of the 32. I know it was SF's pick but still.
                        Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

I'm not sure how I feel about the decision to award the Bears something in this. By all rights, tampering is not a rare event, and if teams think they can score for reporting all events of it to the league, things could get ridiculous for a few years.

I don't mind penalizing San Francisco, I just don't like the precedent that awarding the Bears brings.

Comment

Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
                            I'm not sure how I feel about the decision to award the Bears something in this. By all rights, tampering is not a rare event, and if teams think they can score for reporting all events of it to the league, things could get ridiculous for a few years.

I don't mind penalizing San Francisco, I just don't like the precedent that awarding the Bears brings.
                            i kind of like it, and not just as a bears fan. this means that more teams will be willing to step up and say something when they thing one of thier players is being tampered with and it might lead to tampering coming to a stop.

probably not though, everyone will just get smarter about it. but what do i care? the bears moved up a few spots in the third round, ill take it, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post

The Bears could have been adversely affected by the Niners tampering with their player. It may have hurt their ability to resign him, and certainly didn't do our team any favors chemistry-wise. Not to mention that it's the value of a 6th rounder, big whoop.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

I think they should have just removed a draft pick, no rewarding the other team.
                                Virginia Tech.
                                ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information