Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is thompson the best GM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Originally posted by DawgBone View Post
    Ya no problems wit you bro. But Ive got 3 negative reps from 3 different packers fans that think I hate their team. Maybe they forgot I was on their side to start?

    I was on the side of Thompson, but got angry at neg rep from Pack fans so I started to look on the other side of the grass.

    For 5 dollas Ill be a Lion fan tomm ok? My Sanders jersey is still in the attick.
    Well yeah you pretty much turned us all against you when you said all our success was because of Favre (way off), we had the easiest schedule in the league (probably middle of the road, and don't try to take away our early wins against Philly, San Diego, and NYG), and that we only did good because of few injuries (we were healthy, but we had a good team to begin with).

    Millen takes a lot of smack but I think he's improved in the past few years. He's brought in some good players, he's not doing bad from a talent evaluation standpoint, he just doesn't seem to understand that you have to build a team from the interior not the skill positions. He also seems to go with what he thinks is best and not what the fans want which I admire, but that trait only works when you're smarter than the fans...

    Thanks to BK for the sig

    Comment


    • #77
      "and that we only did good because of few injuries (we were healthy, but we had a good team to begin with)."

      I think you guys here what you want. Tha packers started off and finished good. And I never mentioned anything about your teams injuries in 2007? That was a comment for the 2006 season.

      Comment


      • #78
        Originally posted by GB12 View Post
        No you neg repped me for this

        Saying this in the neg rep

        So I neg repped you back not only for that but because you aren't making any sense in you're arguments and can't make a valid point if your life depended on it. I didn't even say anything about the Packers I was talking about the Browns.
        He's making sense on this page. Saying Thompson deserved it despite his team overachieving on a weak schedule, which they did,and that Phil Savage deserved to be in the discussion despite the browns also preying on a weak schedule. Personally I don't expect Anderson or Lewis to have any where near as good of a season as they had last year and that the D is still very questionable, corner and OLB(opposite Whimbley) especially. Hell there where so many bad teams in the league that any good good team preyed on a weak schedule.

        Comment


        • #79
          Originally posted by TheGreatEscape View Post
          He's making sense on this page. Saying Thompson deserved it despite his team overachieving on a weak schedule, which they did,and that Phil Savage deserved to be in the discussion despite the browns also preying on a weak schedule. Personally I don't expect Anderson or Lewis to have any where near as good of a season as they had last year and that the D is still very questionable, corner and OLB(opposite Whimbley) especially. Hell there where so many bad teams in the league that any good good team preyed on a weak schedule.
          I gave a great reason why Phil is a good GM, are you doubting he is or should be in the consideration?

          Name another team that has did more with less in a 3 year span? And GB - what do you mean im not making sence, this is my arguement.


          Before Phil Savage/after Phil Savage
          Tim Couch - Derek Anderson
          William Green - Jamal Lewis
          Terrell Smith - Lawrence Vickers
          Kevin Johnson - Braylon Edwards
          Quincy Morgan - Donte Stallworth
          Dennis Northcutt - Joe Jurivicius
          LJ Sheldon - Joe THomas
          Joe Andruzzi - Eric Steinbach
          Jeff Faine - Hank Fraley
          Cosey Coleman - Lecharles Bentley (finally healthy)
          Ross Verba - Kevin Shaffer

          Kenard Land - Corey Williams
          Gerard Warren - Shaun Rogers
          Alvin McKinley - Shaun Smith
          Ebinezer Eukuban - Robair Smith
          Ben Taylor - Dqwell Jackson
          Kevin Bentley - Kamerion Wimbley
          Daylon Mccutcheon - Eric Wright
          Michael Jamison - Brodney Poole
          Michael Lehan - Sean Jones

          Derek Frost - Dave Zastudil
          Andre King - Josh Cribbs
          anyone see a difference in 3 years?


          WHo has did more to an NFL roster in a positive way that Phil in the last 3 years? Hes doing all he can and it will be recognized next year. That was my only point before saying that Thompson deserved it this year because he got his team to the playoffs.

          Then people ripped me for saying its the Browns fault we didnt make the playoffs, so I said we would have if we were in the NFC with a 10-6 record and got bashed.

          I guess my only point is that Phil Savage created this team, Ted Thompson basically inherited his minus the coaching staff.
          Last edited by DawgBone; 03-26-2008, 02:27 PM.

          Comment


          • #80
            Originally posted by DawgBone View Post
            I gave a great reason why Phil is a good GM, are you doubting he is or should be in the consideration?

            Name another team that has did more with less in a 3 year span? And GB - what do you mean im not making sence, this is my arguement.


            Before Phil Savage/after Phil Savage
            Tim Couch - Derek Anderson
            William Green - Jamal Lewis
            Terrell Smith - Lawrence Vickers
            Kevin Johnson - Braylon Edwards
            Quincy Morgan - Donte Stallworth
            Dennis Northcutt - Joe Jurivicius
            LJ Sheldon - Joe THomas
            Joe Andruzzi - Eric Steinbach
            Jeff Faine - Hank Fraley
            Cosey Coleman - Lecharles Bentley (finally healthy)
            Ross Verba - Kevin Shaffer

            Kenard Land - Corey Williams
            Gerard Warren - Shaun Rogers
            Alvin McKinley - Shaun Smith
            Ebinezer Eukuban - Robair Smith
            Ben Taylor - Dqwell Jackson
            Kevin Bentley - Kamerion Wimbley
            Daylon Mccutcheon - Eric Wright
            Michael Jamison - Brodney Poole
            Michael Lehan - Sean Jones

            Derek Frost - Dave Zastudil
            Andre King - Josh Cribbs
            anyone see a difference in 3 years?


            WHo has did more to an NFL roster in a positive way that Phil in the last 3 years? Hes doing all he can and it will be recognized next year. That was my only point before saying that Thompson deserved it this year because he got his team to the playoffs.

            Then people ripped me for saying its the Browns fault we didnt make the playoffs, so I said we would have if we were in the NFC with a 10-6 record and got bashed.

            I guess my only point is that Phil Savage created this team, Ted Thompson basically inherited his minus the coaching staff.
            Thompson inherited this team? where did you get this from? Thompson had to rebuild the WR, TE, OL(inside), RB, DB(expect Harris), LB(expect Barnett), and DT(expect Williams), entire ST unit. The only players he inherited from the positions he built were Harris, Barnett, and Williams.

            He also saw the talent in Kampman to keep him, before he had his break out season. If you ask me thats an excellent job....

            The players you listed came to the team this year, and haven't proven anything to the Browns. Questions like will Rogers still slack off, can Williams play in a 3-4.

            If you think Ted Thompson should win the award, then why are you always brining up Phil Savage? seems like you think he should have won the award...

            Comment


            • #81
              Originally posted by PACKmanN View Post
              Thompson inherited this team? where did you get this from? Thompson had to rebuild the WR, TE, OL(inside), RB, DB(expect Harris), LB(expect Barnett), and DT(expect Williams), entire ST unit. The only players he inherited from the positions he built were Harris, Barnett, and Williams.

              He also saw the talent in Kampman to keep him, before he had his break out season. If you ask me thats an excellent job....

              The players you listed came to the team this year, and haven't proven anything to the Browns. Questions like will Rogers still slack off, can Williams play in a 3-4.

              If you think Ted Thompson should win the award, then why are you always brining up Phil Savage? seems like you think he should have won the award...
              He inherited Brett Favre, 2 great tackles on offense, Donald Driver, Barnett, etc.... You dont even mention this?

              And I dont think he rebuilt the TE's, your TE's arent even nothing to brag about if he did.

              "The players you listed came to the team this year"

              I listed our entire team that he redid, and you act like I just mentioned Rogers and Williams? What a joke.

              Kampman is a great player and your now trying to give that credit to THompson? OMG. Just because he resigned him WOW.

              I gaurantee after TT won the award he called Favre and said thanks for the last great year we will have in awhile.

              If thats all you want to talk about is how he rebuilt positions, Phil Savage has him easily.

              Good passing teams in the NFL need a QB, LT, and pro bowl WR to succeed, the Packers allready had all of this.
              Last edited by DawgBone; 03-26-2008, 02:58 PM.

              Comment


              • #82
                Originally posted by DawgBone View Post
                He inherited Brett Favre, 2 great tackles on offense, Donald Driver, Barnett, etc.... You dont even mention this?

                And I dont think he rebuilt the TE's, your TE's arent even nothing to brag about if he did.

                "The players you listed came to the team this year"

                I listed our entire team that he redid, and you act like I just mentioned Rogers and Williams? What a joke.

                Kampman is a great player and your now trying to give that credit to THompson? OMG. Just because he resigned him WOW.

                I gaurantee after TT won the award he called Favre and said thanks for the last great year we will have in awhile.
                And you wonder why you have negative rep...

                Comment


                • #83
                  Originally posted by DawgBone View Post
                  He inherited Brett Favre, 2 great tackles on offense, Donald Driver, Barnett, etc.... You dont even mention this?

                  And I dont think he rebuilt the TE's, your TE's arent even nothing to brag about if he did.

                  "The players you listed came to the team this year"

                  I listed our entire team that he redid, and you act like I just mentioned Rogers and Williams? What a joke.

                  Kampman is a great player and your now trying to give that credit to THompson? OMG. Just because he resigned him WOW.

                  I gaurantee after TT won the award he called Favre and said thanks for the last great year we will have in awhile.

                  If thats all you want to talk about is how he rebuilt positions, Phil Savage has him easily.

                  Good passing teams in the NFL need a QB, LT, and pro bowl WR to succeed, the Packers allready had all of this.
                  Ok wow Phil Savage went out and signed free agents to replace their past starters, WOW. See how dumb that is....

                  There something called evaluating the talent, and seeing if that player could become a success in your system... GMs do that too you know...

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    I'm sure trading two firsts and a second for a backup QB - to a 25 year old pro-bowler no less - didn't headline Savage's executive of the year resume.

                    And if you want to talk about roster turnover, only 14 players (now 10 with the losses of Favre, Rob Davis, Bubba Franks, and Corey Williams) remained in 2007 from the team Thompson inherited in 2004. One of the best qualities of TT is that his biggest mistakes (not replacing Rivera and Wahle, signing Marquand Manuel (we get it, BF51), or trading for Moss) haven't resulted in any long term problems, all while keeping the cap extremely healthy.

                    And the signing of Mike McCarthy (at the time an offensive coordinator for one of the league's worst offenses) can't be underestimated. He's the straw that stirs Green Bay's drink.

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      He took the packers from 4-12 to 13-3 and an apperance in the NFC Championship Game. With almost no major FA signings outside of Woodson and Pickett. So the team was virtualy built through the draft and he has brought in some outstanding young talent the last 3 years. I have no reason to believe that this draft will be any different.

                      I think that Phil Savage of the Browns also deserves a lot of credit for what he has done with the Browns. He has taken a team that the last 6 of 7 years has been the laughing stock of the NFL and turned them into contenders in the AFC. Its a very good thing to see the Browns doing well because they have had a rough last 10 years and they are one of the NFL's oldest teams with lots of history.

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Originally posted by PACKmanN View Post
                        Ok wow Phil Savage went out and signed free agents to replace their past starters, WOW. See how dumb that is....

                        There something called evaluating the talent, and seeing if that player could become a success in your system... GMs do that too you know...
                        Ya he did it with Josh Cribbs, Leigh Bodden, and Derek Anderson your point?

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          You guys act like the Packers have sucked and TT made them good in a year. If your going to say that he took them from 4-12 to 13-3, then why not bring up the fact he was the reason they went 4-12 if your going to give the GM all the credit for wins?

                          "I'm sure trading two firsts and a second for a backup QB - to a 25 year old pro-bowler no less - didn't headline Savage's executive of the year resume."

                          It was a first round pick #24 overall and a second, for basically the #22 overall in a fairly stronger draft. Brady Quinn would be the #1 overall QB this year most likely going top 10. And Anderson is a 24 year old pro bowler.

                          Are you saying it is a bad idea to have 2 above average QB's on a roster? I think its smart.

                          And at the time it did headline his GM resume did you allready forget. And if you mention Derek Anderson mention that he was brought to the Browns by Phil as a practice squad player and in 2 years turned into a pro bowler ok?
                          Last edited by DawgBone; 03-26-2008, 03:13 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Originally posted by DawgBone View Post
                            Ya he did it with Josh Cribbs, Leigh Bodden, and Derek Anderson your point?
                            Leigh Bodden is no longer on the team, and no he didn't evaluate anything in Derek Anderson. He got lucky with Anderson, if he did have trust in him, he wouldn't have traded this year first round pick for Quinn...

                            And well lets look at Thompsons' steals of recent draft....

                            05:
                            Terrence Murphy(Before career ending injury)
                            Marviel Underwood(Before career ending injury)
                            Brady Poppinga
                            Junius Coston

                            06:
                            Greg Jennings
                            Will Blackmon
                            Tony Moll
                            Johnny Jolly

                            07:
                            James Jones
                            Allen Barbre
                            Korey Hall
                            Mason Crosby

                            He also didn't build our team, he also built another team(Seahawks) on what he believes.

                            You still haven't answered my question, why did you say that Thompson should win the award, yet you acting like the Browns gm should have won the award? Thompson took a team who DIDN'T make it as far in the playoffs as last year in a long time, and rebuilt them to a yearly playoff contending team, and doing it with the YOUNGEST team in the league...
                            Last edited by PACKmanN; 03-26-2008, 03:22 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Originally posted by DawgBone View Post
                              You guys act like the Packers have sucked and TT made them good in a year. If your going to say that he took them from 4-12 to 13-3, then why not bring up the fact he was the reason they went 4-12 if your going to give the GM all the credit for wins?
                              Unless there's some conspiracy theory that I don't know about Ted Thompson didn't injure Javon Walker, Terrence Murphy, Robert Ferguson, Bubba Franks, Ahman Green, Najeh Davenport, Tony Fisher, Brady Poppinga, or Robert Thomas.

                              He didn't replace the guards effectively right away, but that's not the reason we went 4-12.

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                05:
                                Terrence Murphy(Before career ending injury)
                                Marviel Underwood(Before career ending injury)
                                Brady Poppinga
                                Junius Coston

                                06:
                                Greg Jennings
                                Will Blackmon
                                Tony Moll
                                Johnny Jolly

                                07:
                                James Jones
                                Allen Barbre
                                Korey Hall
                                Mason Crosby




                                Most non-packers fans have never heard of most of these people. There only coveted to packers fans.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information