Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patriots Draft studs?

Check it out.

Patriots have only one player out of 9 selections still on their team from the 2007 NFL Draft.

This kind of shocked me. Everyone says that New England is so amazing when it comes to the draft, but they dropped 8 of their 9 draft picks in less that 1 year's time. How is that good?

Oldie but a goodie.

i think its because they tradet away a couple of picks including 2nd and 3rd round. the rest of the draft is often crapshooting.
    iam not surprised at all. this team was well rounded , than added three new wide receivers and a DB for some flexibility in the defense.
    the rest was a little competition and no one panned out to outplay a starter.

Comment

1 bad draft does not make you bad at drafting. They're still pretty good at it. Its just 2007 was a big FA year for them that made it hard to make use of all their draft picks.

Comment

We only had one pick before the 28th selection in the 4th round which is very rare for Pats drafts. Last offseason, as we know, the Pats stockpiled on veterans instead of the usual building through the draft. There are only 2 players from last years class on the team still (Meriweather and CB Mike Richardson), but remember we traded a 2nd rounder for Welker and a 4th for Moss. Those were pretty good value picks.

Comment

They traded their 4th for the most productive wide receiver season of all time, plus whatever the hell else they get from Randy from the next three years. How is it even possible to criticize that draft?

Wes Welker for their second and seventh too. Bizarre that this would even occur to anyone.

Comment

The Pats almost had a perfect season so its not really surprising that any of their late round picks couldn't make their roster, factor in the Moss and Welker trades and its not as bad as it looks. And the last few years in general, their drafts have always been productive.

Sig by Eaglez.Fan

Comment

Almost all their late round picks ended up on someone else's roster or practice squad.

Justin Rodgers - Dallas
              Kareem Brown -Jets
              Clint Oldenburg - Jets
              Justice Hairston - Colts
              Corey Hilliard - Colts
              Mike Elgin -Jets

and two were on IR from pre season ( Oscar Lua and Mike Richardson)

That is 9 for 9 still hanging on for this season with someone. Pretty fair talent evaluation if you ask me.

Comment

The Patriots had very few roster spots going into last season anyway. Several of the rookies looked impressive in training camp such as richardson (who was simply unbelievable), Lua, Rodgers, and Gutierrez. The Pats were planning on going with 2 QBs into the season with one on the practice squad or in an emergency adding Testaverde to the roster if someone were to get hurt, but Gutierrez was so impressive that they couldn't risk losing him on the practice squad. Take into account receiver/returners CJ Jones and Bam Childress, the Pats were handcuffed by roster restrictions more than poor talent evaluation

Comment

I agree that the Pats aren't the best drafting team like the talking heads make them out to be, but I think they do an awesome job in making moves and trades. They've got a keen eye in that regard, granted it's tied to Belichick wanting/preferring veteran players so they can afford to go without a pick or picks in areas for a year, whereas other teams like say the Colts and Packers are full-on built on youth and are in the Top 3 of the youngest teams in the leagues. And the Pats use free agency a good deal.
                  Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

They have definitley been one of the top drafting teams the last few years, but alst year anyone they drafted (other than merriweather) really had a very limited chance (if one at all) of making the team.
                    Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins, Texas Longhorns

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                      I agree that the Pats aren't the best drafting team like the talking heads make them out to be, but I think they do an awesome job in making moves and trades. They've got a keen eye in that regard, granted it's tied to Belichick wanting/preferring veteran players so they can afford to go without a pick or picks in areas for a year, whereas other teams like say the Colts and Packers are full-on built on youth and are in the Top 3 of the youngest teams in the leagues. And the Pats use free agency a good deal.
                      Considering who's been drafted by the Pats on the team, the talking heads may be on to something.

Comment

You're right. Good thing they spent 2nd round picks (and traded up both times to do it, lol) on Bethel Johnson and Chad Jackson, instead of using it to trade for Wes Welker.
                        Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

I actually liked Kareem Brown, and yes I am a homer, but the guy was a decent force in the middle for UM. I think he can make it as a backup DT, maybe 10 snaps a game.

Good first step, decent strength, good size.
                          "Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya."

Comment

you got to remember that the patriots did seem to reach on most of their picks last year. i remember i heard someone say last year that they made headscratching picks just for the reason that these kids wouldnt make the team and demand high contracts. i dont see it but its always a possibility.

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                              You're right. Good thing they spent 2nd round picks (and traded up both times to do it, lol) on Bethel Johnson and Chad Jackson, instead of using it to trade for Wes Welker.
                              The Patriots have used their draft picks very well, whether it be drafting players or trading them. There are always going to be exceptions like Bethel Johnson, but I think for the most part the Patriots have done a great job through the draft.

Out of our 22 starters last year, 16 of them were drafted by NE and 2 were traded for picks. That may not be tops in the league but if you produce 18 of your 22 starters with draft picks that is still pretty impressive.

Chad Jackson is young and gifted, he hasn't done anything yet because he was hurt and had trouble with the playbook as a rookie (plus BB doesn't throw rookies into the fire too often) and we were loaded at WR last year. With Stallworth gone, he could make an impact this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information