Sporting News: AFC Cornerbacks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sporting News: AFC Cornerbacks

1. Raiders. Offseason pickup DeAngelo Hall and Nnamdi Asomugha give the team the best corner combo in the NFL. Asomugha, who had only one pick last year, will get more balls thrown into his area with Hall on the other side.

2. Chargers. Antonio Cromartie has big hands, long arms and outstanding speed. Quentin Jammer won't intercept many passes but is a sticky cover guy. First-round pick Antoine Cason will compete for the nickel job.

3. Broncos. Champ Bailey will be back to his old ballhawking ways if the line play improves. Dre' Bly has great ball skills but is vulnerable to double moves. Karl Paymah has good size and played with more discipline last year.

4. Colts. With their size (both are 6-0, 195) and physical style, Marlin Jackson and Kelvin Hayden are ideal starters in coach Tony Dungy's scheme. Tim Jennings and Dante Hughes are promising options for the No. 3 job.

5. Jaguars. Offseason addition Drayton Florence is an aggressive player who is a plus in run support. Former Pro Bowler Rashean Mathis will return hungry after playing tentatively in 2007 because of a leg injury.

6. Ravens. When healthy, Chris McAlister, 30, and Samari Rolle, 31, are solid or better. They're aging but still have enough speed to run with receivers. Fabian Washington was acquired to provide insurance and to help in the nickel.

7. Bengals. Johnathan Joseph and Leon Hall are strong enough to reroute receivers and fast enough to cover them deep. Hall does a better job of making plays on the ball. Former Pro Bowler Deltha O'Neal is the nickel back.

8. Titans. Cortland Finnegan is a physical player who holds his own in coverage. Nick Harper helps in run support and does a good job of making plays on the ball. Eric King and Reynaldo Hill are experienced backups.

9. Patriots. Ellis Hobbs, who's coming off two offseason surgeries, will start on the right. Free-agent pickup Fernando Bryant and rookie Terrence Wheatley will battle for the other job. Overall, the group lacks size.

10. Steelers. Deshea Townsend had a strong 2007, but he's 32 and will eventually wear down. Ike Taylor is steady but hasn't played up to his big contract. Bryant McFadden hasn't played well enough to win a starting job.

11. Jets. Darrelle Revis is a future Pro Bowler -- his coverage skills are excellent, and his ball skills are improving - but the other starting job is up for grabs. David Barrett could be cut, and Hank Poteat could be re-signed.

12. Bills. Rookie Leodis McKelvin will help immediately in the nickel and will eventually challenge Ashton Youboty for a starting job. Terrence McGee does a good job of recovering after receivers get separation.

13. Chiefs. Rookie Brandon Flowers brings life to a stale position. He will join Patrick Surtain, 31, who should be good for one more year. Tyron Brackenridge played well in the nickel as a rookie.

14. Texans. With Dunta Robinson out half the season, the Texans will struggle. Fred Bennett is big and physical . Free-agent pickup Jacques Reeves is a quick corner who will start until Robinson returns.

15. Browns. Young starters Eric Wright and Brandon McDonald should improve upon solid rookie years, and Daven Holly will be a plus in the nickel. But none is proven.

16. Dolphins. The team has confidence in Will Allen, but after him, there's a group of injury-plagued, inexperienced and undertalented guys. Andre Goodman and Travis Daniels are the top candidates to start opposite Allen.
    http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=408426

IMO, the Bills and Jets should be higher. Seriously, Ellis Hobbs. Would yuo take him over Leodis McKelvin, Darrelle Revis OR Terrence McGee? I wouldn't.

Also, does anyone else think there is a bit of a drop off in talent after the top three?

Comment

I think you right on with the Jets I would take Darelle Revis at the moment over anything the Pats have. I also would take McKelvin but he is a rookie so there is that element of the unknown which is why I understand them rating the bills a bit lower right now.

The one problem I have is I wouldn't take the chargers CB's over the Broncos CB's the Broncos should be #2.

Comment

New England is awful and should be no higher than 15th. Are you kidding me? Writers simply see New England and put them higher than they should be.

Comment

How can you challenge Youboty for a starting job when Youboty doesn't have the starting job nor is even really challenging for it himself?
          I believe the name you were looking for is Jabari Greer.

Comment

Yay, the Chiefs aren't last!

Originally posted by fenikz
            His soft D really turns me off
            ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

1. Raiders. Offseason pickup DeAngelo Hall and Nnamdi Asomugha give the team the best corner combo in the NFL. Asomugha, who had only one pick last year, will get more balls thrown into his area with Hall on the other side.

I disagree, I'd much rather throw it D-hall's way than Nnamdi's

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

I'd much rather go 3 wide and throw to the slot or just throw to the TE.

Comment

I think they're saying no one threw towards Scrabble last year and they will throw more now.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy_Chris View Post
                    I'd much rather go 3 wide and throw to the slot or just throw to the TE.
                    Originally posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
                    I think they're saying no one threw towards Scrabble last year and they will throw more now.
                    Yeah i know, sporting news might think D-Hall is the better CB and that would piss me off

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

Ravens secondary has potential to be freakish barring injuries, Chris McAllister and Ed Reed are elite at their positions, Dawan Landry is a pro bowl caliber safety wouldn't be surprised to see him in Hawaii this year, and Samari Rolle is still an above average CB when healthy. The addition of Fabian Washington gives them some cover speed. And they have a bunch of young guys who have plenty of playing experience in Corey Ivey, Ronnie Prude, Derrick Martin, and David Pittman. They also added two safeties in the draft which bolsters their unit even more. Zbikowski will be a special teams stud, and could be deadly playing as a situational pass rusher and roam around type guy. Harkuri Nakamura is also a good player.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
                      http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
                      Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
                      http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

It's good to see Hayden and Jackson getting their due. They've been a HUGE improvement over Harper and David.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy_Chris View Post
                          I think you right on with the Jets I would take Darelle Revis at the moment over anything the Pats have. I also would take McKelvin but he is a rookie so there is that element of the unknown which is why I understand them rating the bills a bit lower right now.

The one problem I have is I wouldn't take the chargers CB's over the Broncos CB's the Broncos should be #2.
                          I'd really disagree with you. Dre Bly doesn't have it anymore. Jammer and Cro are both ridiculous corners, and that's before you throw in first rounder Antoine Cason and the second fastest guy on our squad (after Cromartie), 3rd year player Cletin Gordon.

Comment

AFC WEST rule this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargerCohen View Post
                              I'd really disagree with you. Dre Bly doesn't have it anymore. Jammer and Cro are both ridiculous corners, and that's before you throw in first rounder Antoine Cason and the second fastest guy on our squad (after Cromartie), 3rd year player Cletin Gordon.
                              Why doesn't Dre Bly have it anymore, but Jammer is ridiculous? I don't get that...I'm almost positive Jennings would of torched Jammer the exact same way he did to Bly, Jammer biggest strength isn't even his coverage its his strength, physicality, and aggressiveness on defense...Both corners would probably struggle when asked to go outside of their comfort zones.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                              I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information