No announcement yet.

Best Defense in 2008-09

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whoever is playing the Rams. So right now, its the Eagles.

Comment

What's with the Rams hate Yodachu?
      Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
        What's with the Rams hate Yodachu?
        Cuz when I say my team sucks they do well for whatever reason. REVERSE PSYCHOLOGY FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Whatever gets you through the day.;)

Comment

Last year didn't have any dominant defenses. Alot of very good defenses, but none that really stuck out. Will there be a dominant one this year? I'm not sure. Vikes should get some buzz for their moves. Steelers and Colts should remain up there. I'll interject my Jags for homer's sake, but I dunno.

by BoneKrusher
            <DG> how metal unseen
            <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

You're not being a homer in you way of thinking for the Jags.

Comment

You lost two starters, a player that saw a lot of time in Joseph, and a young quality backup LB in Torbor. I know you have the starter at SAM filled out with Kiwi, and drafted Phillips, but there will be a slight dropoff for at least a few games, and even a different style to adapt to. Your D-line is strong at DE, but you don't have any bonafied DTs, and I didn't see much to improve that. You have solid DTs, don't get me wrong, but an upgrade could certainly be used. They may not be huge losses, but they are losses that will affect the defense, you can't act as though losing two starters and a semi-starter in Joseph will not hurt the defense to some degree.
                Joseph sucked, and if not mistaken I don't remember seeing him play in the playoffs at all. I remember Robbins, Coefield, Alford and Tuck. Trust me Joseph wasn't a key loss. Torbor was another Nick Greisen in my opinion. Avg LB who never panned out. Torbor was a DE, and we made him a LB, and he never progressed the way he had hoped. He was avg, not bad not what you call great. Servicable..

We rotate our DTs, and they all fit in this system. We have 3 DTs, and Tuck, that's more then enough depth we need, unless something freaky happens and they all start getting hurt. That could happen, but Alford started to come later in the season, so looking for him to improve.

If anything Wilson could be a loss, but just like I explained to another rival fan, I forgot the username, our defense is different than most NFL defenses. It's almost like a highschool defense, in that the best 11 play. So if losing Wilson means we play 3 safties on the field, Spags will do it. We did it during the superbowl with Wilson, Butler and Johnson. If that means playing a safety at LB, while puttin our CB, Aaron Ross at FS, then we will do it. This defense is based on versatility, and if you notice we are drafting player who play and do difference things. Gerris Wilk, played all 3 LB spots in college, and alittle DE. One of our rookies played 3 LB spots as well.

That's what the defense is based upon, interchangable parts because people are going to be moved around. So while in a traditional sense, a loss like Wilson can and will be felt, we can easily plug someone in his spot, and add another safety to compensate. For instance, Kenny Phillips, Sammy Knight, and James Butler. Not only that like I said, we finally have coaching stability which we never had since Coughlin was hired.

Comment

Originally posted by yodachu View Post
                  Cuz when I say my team sucks they do well for whatever reason. REVERSE PSYCHOLOGY FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  Double Reverse Psychology FTW!!!!!!!!
                  my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                  <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                  <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                  <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                  Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                  What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

I still don't think the Giants will have a top 5 defense. And i'm gonna stand by that one all year. They got torched too many times last year. They allowed 30+ pts nine times. Allowing that many points 56% of the season is pretty bad. I don't think they've improved any, so i don't see how that changes.

I'm surprised not many people are naming the Cowboys. Well, actually, i shouldn't be, seeing as how many people despise them, but anyway, they should be up there in the top 7 easily.

Our run defense is always top of the line, and we've vastly improved our secondary outside the SS spot. Our improving pass-rush should help the secondary a bit and take some pressure out of covering in man for too long.
                    They should be in the top 5, barring injury to one of our main guys (Hamlin, Ware, Newman)

Comment

If Strahan doesn't come back, I wouldn't be surprised if the Giants aren't in the top 5.

Comment

Originally posted by terribletowel39 View Post
                        Yea, except the Steelers finished #1 last year. The Colts finished third behind the Bucs.
                        ... based on yardage, lol. Tell me again who was #1 in scoring defense.

Steelers are like the Jags imo, they'll do a great job stopping the run, but they can be passed on. (Although in Pittsburgh's case, they were tied for last in the league in interceptions last year.)
                        Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

You lost two starters, a player that saw a lot of time in Joseph, and a young quality backup LB in Torbor. I know you have the starter at SAM filled out with Kiwi, and drafted Phillips, but there will be a slight dropoff for at least a few games, and even a different style to adapt to. Your D-line is strong at DE, but you don't have any bonafied DTs, and I didn't see much to improve that. You have solid DTs, don't get me wrong, but an upgrade could certainly be used. They may not be huge losses, but they are losses that will affect the defense, you can't act as though losing two starters and a semi-starter in Joseph will not hurt the defense to some degree.
                          Joseph was put on IR in preaseason with "back spasms". Basically he sucked so bad that the Giants knew they were going to cut him after the 2007 season so they put him on IR with an injury that could be played through. Joseph didn't play a single down last season.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakey View Post
                            *Homer* The Steelers have done nothing to get worse on defence (they were no1 last year)
                            Yea but other teams did something to get better on defense..But I agee Steelers are a lock to have a top Defense.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                            I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
                              I still don't think the Giants will have a top 5 defense. And i'm gonna stand by that one all year. They got torched too many times last year. They allowed 30+ pts nine times. Allowing that many points 56% of the season is pretty bad. I don't think they've improved any, so i don't see how that changes.
                              What are people just making stuff up today? The Giants let up 30+ points five times. The first two games of the year when they were still learning the scheme. Then 31 points to Dallas in the middle of the season. 41 to Minnesota, which 21 points came on 3 INTs returned for TDs. And then 38 points to the unstoppable NE offense week 17 which we stopped in the Super Bowl.

Comment

Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
                                What are people just making stuff up today? The Giants let up 30+ points five times. The first two games of the year when they were still learning the scheme. Then 31 points to Dallas in the middle of the season. 41 to Minnesota, which 21 points came on 3 INTs returned for TDs. And then 38 points to the unstoppable NE offense week 17 which we stopped in the Super Bowl.
                                Giants opponents' score = Nine times over 30.

None of that is untrue.

You're not gonna have a top 5 defense, and that's all the argument i'm making.
                                Strahan or not.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information