official CBA thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• official CBA thread

might as well start one of these because i imagine there will be a lot of talk about it for months to come.....

first, the owners vote unanimously to opt out:
    http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/...pt-out-of-cba/

and heres an article on some details of it:
    http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/...cle-commences/

this all sucks....i hated it last time we went through this and i know im just going to hate it again.

anyone else have some thoughts?

There isn't gonna be another lockout. Too much money is at stake.

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
      There isn't gonna be another lockout. Too much money is at stake.
      The NFL is so popular, I can't see it happening...Of course I don't want to, because I would go into a depression without football on Sundays in the fall, but I don't see how they would let that happen.

And does the cba agreement have anything to do with the salary cap going out in a few years? I'm not sure what they all cover.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
      I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
        The NFL is so popular, I can't see it happening...Of course I don't want to, because I would go into a depression without football on Sundays in the fall, but I don't see how they would let that happen.

And does the cba agreement have anything to do with the salary cap going out in a few years? I'm not sure what they all cover.
        The salary cap is written into the CBA. It's just a part of the agreement. Technically, they could still have a CBA without a salary cap.

Comment

I think the NFL could still function without a salary cap, much like MLB. Draft picks won't be free agents until after their sixth year, and there are some quirks that might deter huge spending I believe.

Although the one big thing is to have an agreement on the Draft, to maintain the draft order and system because there is no draft order after either '10 or '11, I don't remember. Not that I've given it much thought, but having the Draft being some free-for-all auction is not the way to go imo. Although maybe it wouldn't penalize bad teams for Top 5/10 picks, given current rookie salaries.
          Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Interesting article about some restrictions.
            http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/ar...ight-plan.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
              I think the NFL could still function without a salary cap, much like MLB. Draft picks won't be free agents until after their sixth year, and there are some quirks that might deter huge spending I believe.

Although the one big thing is to have an agreement on the Draft, to maintain the draft order and system because there is no draft order after either '10 or '11, I don't remember. Not that I've given it much thought, but having the Draft being some free-for-all auction is not the way to go imo. Although maybe it wouldn't penalize bad teams for Top 5/10 picks, given current rookie salaries.
              I agree. The salary cap isn't necessary for the NFL to function. The entire point of it was to help curb player salaries, and, quite frankly, it has failed miserably.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but is this the same revenue sharing ******** bogging things down as last time because of Snyder and Jones?

Comment

Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
                  Correct me if I'm wrong but is this the same revenue sharing ******** bogging things down as last time because of Snyder and Jones?
                  No. Last time the disagreement was between the owners over revenue sharing between themselves. They then caved into the demands of the players union in order to prevent a lockout. Now, the problem is between the now-united owners and the players union.

Comment

yeah, that last deal was just a last ditch "lets not let the nfl die" deal where the owners gave waaaaay into the players it seems.

now the owners want a little (or a lot) of that cave-in back

Comment

Reading the PFT article the owners kind of have a point imo.

Comment

Owners opt out of deal

Commissioner Roger Goodell said the owners were unhappy with three "substantial" components of the collective bargaining agreement they passed in 2006:
                        1. Too many of the revenues were going to the players (60%)
                        2. Rookies were getting too much money up front.
                        3. The owners could not recoup signing bonuses from players who breach their contracts.
                        http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=752787
                        I can definately agree with the owners, especially reasons 2 and 3.

Comment

I agree. There should be a cap on rookie contracts similar to the NBA, nor am I fan of "Gaurunteed Money".

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by CJSchneider View Post
                            "Gaurunteed Money".
                            Haha, really? You cannot spell 'guaranteed'? It's okay, you're a Niner fan, too.

I think that the NFL needs to keep their cap but if they wanted to keep salaries down the first step would be to change the way rookies get paid.

As for the revenue sharing, the owners allowed the players to get 60%, so they should suck it up and live with it. The workers are the ones providing the money-making goods.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Originally posted by CJSchneider View Post
                              I agree. There should be a cap on rookie contracts similar to the NBA, nor am I fan of "Gaurunteed Money".
                              it's a band, isn't it?

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                              don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information