Sporting News: NFC Running Backs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
    Ha, now you're throwing personal insults because you can't back up your claims. I already told you what Gore has to work with, yet he still makes it happen. You have yet to respond to these points. I don't really care how you "rank" your runningbacks, all I care is that you first know both sides of the story before you sound like you know what you talking about.

Can for the record can you please tell me why you don't think he's that great of a runningback?
    He can't because he has absolutely no argument in putting Marion Barber over Gore, besides the fact that he's a homer.

Comment

• would both of you please show me where I said Barber was a top 5 back?

Comment

• Originally posted by YAYareaRB View Post
        He can't because he has absolutely no argument in putting Marion Barber over Gore, besides the fact that he's a homer.
        There are arguments to put Barber over Gore. But all of them would be a stretch. Barber style is not well balanced like Gore, so it's pretty easy to pick his game apart.

I will give him that Barber is a much better short yardage/goal line back. This is an area where Frank has struggled.

Other than that. I can't see many arguments for Barber.

Comment

Ha, now you're throwing personal insults because you can't back up your claims. I already told you what Gore has to work with, yet he still makes it happen. You have yet to respond to these points. I don't really care how you "rank" your runningbacks, all I care is that you first know both sides of the story before you sound like you know what you talking about.

Can for the record can you please tell me why you don't think he's that great of a runningback? Or rather, why your choices are better? Or better yet, why you think he's "overrated".
          Let me clear this up first, then you can ask me another question if you still want a response.

I think Gore is a good running back. I'll even say very good. I don't think he is in the top 5 in the league. So, it is my personal opinion that there are at least 5 rb's better than Gore... possibly more.

If you would like a list of at least 5 I would have LT, Westbrook, AD, LJ (unless he pulls an Alexander and falls from great to poop in 1 season) , Sjax.

Beyond those 5, there are others such as Portis who I would put ahead of Gore.

It's ok if you guys love Gore and think hes great. I love Barber and think he's awesome too... But you're failing to realize that when grading the RB of your favorite team, people tend to overrate their favorite players.

Doesn't it seem weird that only 9er fans are putting him in their top 5?

Comment

• Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
            Let me clear this up first, then you can ask me another question if you still want a response.

I think Gore is a good running back. I'll even say very good. I don't think he is in the top 5 in the league. So, it is my personal opinion that there are at least 5 rb's better than Gore... possibly more.

If you would like a list of at least 5 I would have LT, Westbrook, AD, LJ (unless he pulls an Alexander and falls from great to poop in 1 season) , Sjax.

Beyond those 5, there are others such as Portis who I would put ahead of Gore.

It's ok if you guys love Gore and think hes great. I love Barber and think he's awesome too... But you're failing to realize that when grading the RB of your favorite team, people tend to overrate their favorite players.

To tell you the truth I actually had him at 6. Before we crown AP the messiah of the running game I'd like to see him do it again.

Comment

• Originally posted by no love View Post
              There are arguments to put Barber over Gore. But all of them would be a stretch. Barber style is not well balanced like Gore, so it's pretty easy to pick his game apart.

I will give him that Barber is a much better short yardage/goal line back. This is an area where Frank has struggled.

Other than that. I can't see many arguments for Barber.
              I could easily say Barber is a tougher runner, has better vision, and is better at finding the end zone. He just has a nose for the goal line.

All of that is irrelevant since I never said Barber was better than Gore, or tried to say Barber was in the top 5.

An argument is being started over things I never claimed.

Comment

To tell you the truth I actually had him at 6. Before we crown AP the messiah of the running game I'd like to see him do it again.
                I agree with that. If you look back at my posts I said that he isn't as flawless as everyone makes him out to be. I specifically said he was inconsistent and has durability concerns which is why i would put him no higher than 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
                  Actually no. The 49ers don't have that many national games and are a losing franchise right now. Not a lot of people see Frank Gore play as they do Adrian Peterson, LaDainian Tomlinson, Brian Westbrook, etc.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                  -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                  Originally posted by Borat
                  Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

I guess you haven't read numerous articles that have Barber rated higher then Gore, guess their Cowboy homers too, because only Cowboy homers think that way

I just gave you a credible magazine that didn't have Gore top 10 in the NFL, whats their reason, niner haters? Not to say I agree or disagree with anything else in the thread, but its silly to say you have to be a Cowboy homer to have Barber higher when non Cowboy fans and credible magazines share the same sentiments.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                    I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                      I guess you haven't read numerous articles that have Barber rated higher then Gore, guess their Cowboy homers too, because only Cowboy homers think that way

I just gave you a credible magazine that didn't have Gore top 10 in the NFL, whats their reason, niner haters? Not to say I agree or disagree with anything else in the thread, but its silly to say you have to be a Cowboy homer to have Barber higher when non Cowboy fans and credible magazines share the same sentiments.
                      This isn't about 49ers fans or Cowboys fans showcasing any type of homerism, it's about looking at both side of an issue before you make a thorough analysis. And stating that sporting magazines say this or that does nothing to boost an argument. In fact it makes it worse in my opinion. Sportswriters and their judgments carry just as much weight as anyone on the street that watches football closely.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                      -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                      Originally posted by Borat
                      Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

This isn't about 49ers fans or Cowboys fans showcasing any type of homerism, it's about looking at both side of an issue before you make a thorough analysis. And stating that sporting magazines say this or that does nothing to boost an argument. In fact it makes it worse in my opinion. Sportswriters and their judgments carry just as much weight as anyone on the street that watches football closely.

Does nothing to boost an argument? But didn't you just say only a Cowboy homer would have Barber over Gore, so what excuse does that give sportswriters? Mind you this isn't even done from primarity writers POV, its gathered from scouts, coaches, and compiling the information into a list...Again its still about perspective, but I'm sure you would use it to your advantage if it had Gore ranked where you say...I don't have a say in the matter one way or the other, just wanted to point out that not only Cowboy "homers" have Barber ranked higher then Gore, actually I could find numerous different places that have him ranked higher, but maybe their all Cowboy homers too, thats the only logical reason, because there is no way one logical person could find any reasons to rank Barber higher other then homerism or bias, I get it.

Comment

• Barber>Gore. And **** the Cowboys.

Comment

• Originally posted by SNIPER26 View Post
                            Barber>Gore. And **** the Cowboys.
                            Pretty much sums up how i feel
                            RIP Sean Michael Taylor

Comment

• How can anyone seriously say Barber is better than Gore? They both were drafted in 2005 and Gore has 1300 more rushing yards, and per yards per carry, and 500 more receiving yards, and more yards per catch. Sure Barber has him owned in touchdowns but that is because the Cowboys' offense gets in the red zone a lot more
                              Last edited by abaddon41_80; 06-18-2008, 08:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
                                How can anyone seriously say Barber is better than Gore when his best season in 975 yards?
                                As much as you guys talk about people not seeing Gore play, I would venture that you don't see Barber play that much if you just want to go off pure yardage...I like both guys, alot, but its crazy to see you guys losing sleep that Gore isn't ranked as high as you all see him...If you want to go off pure yardage, that means Ron Dayne is better then Michael Turner, or that Deshaun Foster is better then Jones-Drew...I guess we shouldn't factor in that Gore had 60 more rushing attempts, with 125 more yards, so what do you think the outcome would be if he had been given 250-300 carries.

For all I care I hope we keep him around 200 and let people doubt what he can do his entire career if it means stretching his career or prime 3-4 extra years...I won't go into detail about what he does so well, but there is a misconception that he is just a wrecking ball that gets the ball and runs into defenders while plowing forward, and thats it, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information