Sporting News: NFC QBs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Geo View Post
    Gradkowski can get Eli's gatorade, sure.
    He is still SERVING HIM!
    my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
    <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
    <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
    <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
    Originally posted by Hermstheman83
    What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

I'm not getting my hopes up for Vernon Davis, SMS. Quite frankly, I don't think he'll put the work in in terms of getting Martz's playbooks down well enough, he hasn't given me reason to believe he will.

Hopefully he does live up to that draft pick like Kellen Winslow, he's got serious talent, but right now I don't think he will.
      Mike Martz's playbook is HUGE. I have his Rams 2000 playbook in front of me all printed out, and it is very, very detailed. If Davis is truly an idiot then Mike M. will have to keep things very, very easy for him or give him a wristband for plays.

I can tell you now he has alot of WR routes, and all different depending on the CB alignment and then you have different alignments, from Nasty, inside, wide, and base. So if they are thinking of using him there for certain plays, he would need to get that part down.

But overall TE routes aren't that complicated. All Mike Martz's TE concepts are all drags, sail, digs, and small stuff like that which are within the frame of his overall concept. So it shouldn't be tough if Mike M. can somehow allow Davis to streamline the complicated stuff and give him a wristband with stuff on it.

Comment

I'd want to use VD as a receiver foremost. The only blocking I would have him do is run-blocking, there's no reason for him to pass-block when he could be out there running routes. Probably want him to have more snaps at left slot receiver than anywhere else, I think.
        Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

I'd want to use VD as a receiver foremost. The only blocking I would have him do is run-blocking, there's no reason for him to pass-block when he could be out there running routes. Probably want him to have more snaps at left slot receiver than anywhere else, I think.

That's when stuff gets interesting. In this playbook, you need to know all the alignments, and then all the # routes for inside WR i guess it would be. He obviously has to know his TE routes as well.

In this playbook Martz's terminology in playcalling is how my staff used to do it. We tag our routes.

This is an example out of Martz's playbook:

Liz 989 F rub Sneak

The #s indicate the passing route, so he has to know all his routes. He can cheat if he has a wrist band, but if he wants to play slot WR, he has be smart enough to know those route #s and then alignments as well. MM has a bunch of alignments as well.

I don't really see him pass blocking either. I think because his draft status and potential, the franchise is waiting for the return on their investment. And that would be production, in terms of yards, and TDs as well.

Comment

Smith has a chance, I'm not ready to write him off like, say, Kyle Boller. The 49ers offensive line last year was horrid, and Smith suffered thanks to his shoulder injury and trying to play with it.

He needs to work on his accuracy though, and I'm sure he will if he's going to flourish under one of the best offensive minds in the game in Mike Martz.
            I actually think he has some really good accuracy. It's his decision making and pocket presence that I believe need some work. Especially his pocket presence.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
            -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
            Originally posted by Borat
            Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

Originally posted by Ness View Post
              I disagree. I've seen Jackson play and his accuracy leaves a lot left to be desired. Alex Smith's pocket presence is the only huge issue I've seen wrong with him. His decision making isn't great, but it's not that bad. Jackson's is terrible in my opinion.

Jackson is not a good QB. At all. But Alex Smith is in no way any better, he is horrible. He has been given more than enough chances. His pocket presence is his only issue? HA!

Comment

Originally posted by yo123 View Post
                Jackson is not a good QB. At all. But Alex Smith is in no way any better, he is horrible. He has been given more than enough chances. His pocket presence is his only issue? HA!
                Didn't smith have 4 OCs in 4 years? If so, then I understand why he would have some trouble, if stuff keeps changing on him. Eli had that as well. We had an idiot for the first 2 years, and finally fired him, only to have Gilbride take over. This year will be the 2nd full year where we have good coordinators.

Smith needs to step up and show something, but I can't totally fault him because he needs consistency in one system.

Comment

People are quick to bash Smith and call him horrible, oh how fast people forget how well Norv Turner had him playing with Antonio Bryant a few years ago...If he was still working under Norv, with a respectable target like he had in Bryant, I don't think he would be catching as much flack.

Obviously he has struggled but he has shown flashes, and thats all you can ask out of a young QB, things were really clicking for him with Norv, and the constant instability he has had around him shows...I don't know if he gets back to that level or not, but its way too early to write him off, this was not that long ago he was playing really well and alot of people were back on his bandwagon.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                  I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

When he had a solid receiver (Bryant is so underrated) he was a good player.

If his cast finally clicks like the Browns last year he could surprise imo.

Comment

Yeah unless you'd call a horrible offensive line (opposed to Jackson's superb one), an inept offensive coordinator (4th in 4 years), and a shoulder injury issues. I'm not here to make excuses because I'm one of those fans that if losing patience with Smith but to say Jackson is better than Smith (not taking into consideration the circumstances) is pretty dumb on your part

Comment

Antonio Bryant is god.

Comment

If you mean enough chances with four different coordinators in just as many seasons, sure. And since when does three seasons denote that you're any good or not? Do you know how long it took guys like Dan Fouts or Terry Bradshaw to become the legends they are today? Or how about Aikman? They didn't accomplish it in their first three seasons I'll tell you that.

Comment

Originally posted by YAYareaRB View Post
                            Yeah unless you'd call a horrible offensive line (opposed to Jackson's superb one), an inept offensive coordinator (4th in 4 years), and a shoulder injury issues. I'm not here to make excuses because I'm one of those fans that if losing patience with Smith but to say Jackson is better than Smith (not taking into consideration the circumstances) is pretty dumb on your part

I never said he was better. I said Jackson wasn't any worse. You tell me what the hell Smith has done to prove that he is any better than Tavaris Jackson.

Comment

I never said he was better. I said Jackson wasn't any worse. You tell me what the hell Smith has done to prove that he is any better than Tavaris Jackson.
                              Apples and oranges. Jackson has had a better opportunity to prove himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Ness View Post
                                Apples and oranges. Jackson has had a better opportunity to prove himself.

Yes, with Bobby Wade as his number one receiver. Great opportunity.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information