Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NBA players would dominate skill position In the NFL.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These basketball players that were talked about would not survive in the NFL. There are no 6'7, 6'8 WR out there right now that are dominating. These players would have terrible center of gravity. Just swipe at their legs and hit them below the waist an they will collapse. I would rather have LeBron James running full speed at me rather than MJD.

Nate Robinson could have a decent NFL career, because he is 5'9.

Thank you XxXDragonXxX for the Avatar!

Comment

Originally posted by TheBuffaloBills View Post
      I would rather have LeBron James running full speed at me rather than MJD.
      Sig quote. Called it.

Comment

julius peppers

Comment

Originally posted by Rayray52 View Post
          julius peppers
          very insightful

Comment

Originally posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
            FWIW, dunno how much stock anyone would put into his words, but Bron shot down the 270 pounds thing, said it was just a rumor, but he did say he was 6'9, which probably means 6'7 3/4 without shoes.

LeBron would no doubt make it in the NFL, but I just love how people are so convinced he would be a dominant force, and believe outrageous combine numbers when LeBron opted out so he wouldn't hurt his stock.

Still the best athlete in the world right now IMO, but do you guys believe he can grab a quarter off the backboard too?
            Well, he said he was 260 and added 8 pounds this summer while trying to lose weight.

So 268.
            Virginia Tech.
            ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
              Yeah but Iam sure they would have a hell of a time taking hits, and run blocking. Due to their height, they are at a disadv. because stronger football players, who are most likely shorter, could submarine them and get their pad level lower. Plus can these guys memorize a playbook?
              LeBron is 6'9". But he's also 270. That is big.

Run blocking? As a wide receiver? No matter how tall he is, he is 6'9" 270 with extreme quickness going against cornerbacks who are usually less than 6' and under 200 pounds.

LeBron is intelligent as well.
              Virginia Tech.

Comment

Originally posted by ShutDwn View Post
                I don't think that NBA player have quite the same straight speed as NFL receivers and corners. They are very quick in tight spaces to get by someone, but I don't see Kobe being able to keep up with Chad Johnson, Steve Smith, or Larry Fitzgerald for a long route. He could do it, but he wouldn't dominate.

They are very different ways of using your body, I know they could acclimate, but athletes have certain abilities that fit different sports better.

Outside of guys like Barbosa, Parker, Iverson, and some other guards, I don't see many NBA players running a sub 4.5.
                I used to think the same thing. It's just not true.

For example, Nate Robinson ran a 4.38 out of highschool.
                Virginia Tech.

Comment

40 time ---> Game speed with pads?

Comment

You guys really are cutting these NBA athletes short. I guess that is expected on a NFL board, though.

Saying players like Dwayne Wade, LeBron, etc are not fast is ignorant. These guys get down the court faster than about any NFL player could. Whose to say they couldn't do it on the field?

Most of these guys either adapted to one sport quicker (due to build) or chose one sport due to monetary purposes. Many of these NBA players played one year of college ball and went pro. Some played no college ball. The money is quicker.

When it comes down to it, these are still some of the best athletes in the world. If they have the physical toughness and the build I don't think there is much of a question to if they could make it.2
                    Virginia Tech.

Comment

Originally posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
                      40 time ---> Game speed with pads?
                      Give me a damn break. These are top notch athletes, not children.

And Nate Robinson is a little tough SOB, it's obvious from watching him.

So expected on a NFL board.
                      Virginia Tech.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBuffaloBills View Post
                        These basketball players that were talked about would not survive in the NFL. There are no 6'7, 6'8 WR out there right now that are dominating. These players would have terrible center of gravity. Just swipe at their legs and hit them below the waist an they will collapse. I would rather have LeBron James running full speed at me rather than MJD.

Nate Robinson could have a decent NFL career, because he is 5'9.
                        Because most of the elite level athletes that height play basketball.

People are failing to realise that these guys chose basketball because of the payday. LeBron and many other NBA players are unlike athletes we have in the NFL due to their height. It doesn't make them soft. Sure some of them are, but not all of them.
                        Virginia Tech.

Comment

I thought Lebron was a good WR prospect in high school as a sophomore? He's a great athlete, I'm sure he could have played (I dunno about this dominate talk) in college and possibly the NFL. It's hard to imagine a 6'8 WR not dominating, but who knows.

I would think he just gave up football because the clear choice for moneymaking (earlier and more) was the NBA.

I don't see Kobe doing it. I think the Nate Robinson one is interesting. Great leaping ability (despite that absolutely horrendous dunk competition I had to sit through). He could be a corner or a slot guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
                            If I recall correctly, LeBron James did play some football in high school (at wide receiver) but he stopped because he didn't like getting hit. Considering that he must have been much bigger than most of his competition and physically dominates most NBA players (including some bigger than him), that doesn't bode well for the transition of any NBA player, to be honest.
                            He quit because every scout, coach, agent, etc told him he needed to quit. That he would make a lot more money in basketball, have a much longer career, and come out without needing surgery on every part of his body. In an ESPN article, he said he was disappointed with having to quit football, but that it was the best decision for the rest of his life.
                            I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
                            Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Whoever was the Cardinals HC when Lebron came out told him that he had a contract waiting if he ever wanted to switch sports. Just throwing that out there. Obviously it was a little tongue in cheek, but I bet anything any GM would jump at the chance to add Lebron to his team.

Go look at the average superstar salary in basketball and the average superstar salary in football. Tell me which is higher. Now go look at the average length of careers, and the average number of surgeries needed. Tell me that anyone of you would choose football over basketball. Start getting paid at 18 and play until you are 36+ or start getting payed when you are 22 and end when you are 32? Which one are you going to choose? A lot of these basketball players, the super starts especially would be able to dominate in football had they chosen that path. There is no doubt in my mind that LeBron would be the greatest TE or WR of all time, had he chosen football over basketball. He has the athleticism, the will, everything you need to succeed in ANY sport. He is just a freak of nature, he just so happens to have the determination and the will to go with it.

What the hell is that about "can they learn a playbook?" That may be the most ignorant thing someone has said on this board in a long time. I can't help but think that has some racial undertones to it, I apologize if I am wrong, but seriously...
                              I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
                              Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Oh, and I'm pretty sure LeBron wouldn't be resticted to wide receiver. In a sports illustrated article some team official said he could probably play free safety. I wouldn't doubt he could play DE, OLB, SS, FS, WR, or TE.
                                Virginia Tech.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information