No announcement yet.

Scott Pioli: Overrated?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The D isn't that bad. It lacked a pass rusher and a middle linebacker. The offense was more at-fault, and that aspect of the team has been addressed (and they're still working on it).
    ________
    Easy vape
    Last edited by nepg; 09-17-2011, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nepg View Post
      The D isn't that bad. It lacked a pass rusher and a middle linebacker. The offense was more at-fault, and that aspect of the team has been addressed (and they're still working on it).
      You have got to be joking.

Comment

I want Pioli to swap 1sts with the Vikings to get Jared Allen back and give them Tyler Thigpen! And give them a 4th!

ahh man I miss JA :(
        my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
        <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
        <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
        <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
        Originally posted by Hermstheman83
        What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Splat420 View Post
          You have got to be joking.
          The offense couldn't convert 3rd down and played like ass in the 2nd and 4th quarters. This is both after they switched to the high school offense to accomodate Thigpen's inadequacies... Prior to that, the offense played like garbage every down of every quarter in every situation.
          ________
          I_AM_YOURS
          Last edited by nepg; 09-17-2011, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingElvis View Post
            The point is understandable, and the question is fair.

Some of the "evidence" is incorrect. Specifically, claiming the last 3-4 years of drafting have been average is just wrong. One year out of 3 has the potential to be (and arguably already is) an epic fail.

2008 = DROY and the next 3 picks landed on IR
            2007 = Merriweather (trades for Welker & Moss)
            2006 = Epic Fail
            2005 = 4 solid starters & Cassel (imo 5 starters)
            How many great players has Pioli drafted in the last 4 years? I don't think you can say any so far.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by nepg View Post
              The offense couldn't convert 3rd down and played like ass in the 2nd and 4th quarters. This is both after they switched to the high school offense to accomodate Thigpen's inadequacies... Prior to that, the offense played like garbage every down of every quarter in every situation.
              The D played like garbage every down every quarter all season.

Comment

Everything last year sucked about KC except Tony G, Albert and Brandon Flowers.
                <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by bored of education View Post
                  Everything last year sucked about KC except Tony G, Albert and Brandon Flowers.

Comment

Bowe had a case of the drops early in the season.

Originally posted by fenikz
                    His soft D really turns me off
                    ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

If the 3-4 defense wasn't installed, Pioli would have a much harder time scouting players for his scheme. The Chiefs should have and probably did know that he was going to do that. I think Dorsey is a decent fit, but Hali probably has to go in the next couple of years. Brandon Flowers is an excellent fit - I wanted New England to draft him last year. If their 3-4 is like New England's, they'll usually be playing zone coverage. Besides, did the Chiefs show you anything on defense last year in a 4-3?

The difference between Matt Cassel and Tyler Thigpen is enormous. One of them ended up at Coastal Carolina, the other was a highly-recruited prospect who happened to walk into a situation where two top-ten picks with Heisman trophies were ahead of him on the depth chart. Thigpen blew games in the fourth quarter last year, and Cassel looked like a Pro Bowler over the last couple months. Vrabel is mostly there for leadership reasons. The Chiefs are one of the youngest teams in the league and don't have much veteran presence.

Like you said, Bobby Engram and Mike Goff are both decent starters. Brian Waters is not even close to being the best left guard in the league. That's Steve Hutchinson by a mile.

2005: I think we agree on this. Mankins, Hobbs, Kaczur, Sanders, and Cassel were starters last year. 5/7 starters is outstanding, especially considering they didn't have a second round pick. The only two players they "missed" on were #170 overall and Mr. Irrelevant.

2006: I'll agree this wasn't an excellent draft. Maroney is probably still the starter at running back, although the team is wisely keeping the committee approach. He's 24 years old, for crying out loud. When you add playoff games, his first two seasons:

2006 - 17 games, 206 carries, 832 yards, 6 touchdowns
                      2007 - 16 games, 246 carries, 1,115 yards, 9 touchdowns

Last year he was injured, playing in only three games. Stephen Gostkowski is a Pro Bowler, and O'Callaghan and LeKevin Smith are on roster. I'll agree this is their weakest recent draft, but I wouldn't call Maroney a bust.

2007: Brandon Meriweather was outstanding last year. He was easily the biggest playmaker in the secondary. Richardson is another player I like and is still on the roster. Again, like you said, they picked up Moss and Welker in this draft and went 16-0 the next year. Everyone else they picked (who were picked in rounds 6 and 7, mostly) was a long shot to make the roster because the team was loaded across the board going into the draft.

2008: Jerod Mayo is the defensive rookie of the year. Terrence Wehatley and Jonatahn Whilhite both looked good last season too, but Wheatley broke his wrist deflecting a pass in the Colts game (his first start.) Crable was on I.R. this year. Kevin O'Connell has talent but was behind Brady and Cassel.

Not including Moss, Welker, and Cassel, 8 of New England's draft picks the past four years will likely go into this season as starters. The team has drafted pretty much every starter they have - QB, RB, TE, OL, DL, 3/4 LBs, 1 CB, S - under Belichick/Pioli and I'd say they've assembled a pretty good team.

Comment

I didnt even have to type his name. if he didn't have the dropsies against NE KC would have beat NE and then that could have changed the whole season.

Comment

Originally posted by vidae-KC View Post
                          Bowe had a case of the drops early in the season.
                          O ya well Derrick Johnson had the case of the missed tackles all season.:)

Comment

Everybody who takes a promotion in the NFL is overrated by the people who hired him until he actually proves he is competent. Coming from NE is no guarantee but I'd hire him over a Meyhew who learned his job from Matt Millen and has a blank resume to judge him on. That being said, Pioli like any new hire will have to prove he can do the job.
                            And proud of it!!!

Comment

I guess we will find out if Bill Belichick or Scott Pioli was really the mastermind behind the Patriots success.

Comment

O ya well Derrick Johnson had the case of the missed tackles all season.:)
                                No he didn't! Don't make this personal Splat!

Originally posted by fenikz
                                His soft D really turns me off
                                ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information