Holt signs with Jags

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holt signs with Jags

3 years 20 Million - per ESPN's Michael Smith.

Well they gave Jerry Porter 10 million dollars for one year, so I guess they've got nowhere to go but up.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

7mil isnt that bad

Comment

Holt will probably never see the money in that third year. I'm guessing he got 7 mil in guarantees and has a big roster bonus and base salary for the third year.

Comment

So much for the Jags not spending on iffy vets after last offseason.

He can probably still be an effective #1 but I was never very comfortable with him being on a run first team like the Titans for anything over maybe $5M a year for 2 years.

JT Jag, per last cap year rules a player's deal can only escalate 20% from year to year in its total value, which includes base salary and any bonuses. So year 3 can't be too different. Nevertheless, he'll probably be cuttable cap wise after just this season anyway.

Comment

Paying the guy for what he's done, not what he'll do.

Comment

Originally posted by OzTitan View Post
              So much for the Jags not spending on iffy vets after last offseason.

He can probably still be an effective #1 but I was never very comfortable with him being on a run first team like the Titans for anything over maybe $5M a year for 2 years.

JT Jag, per last cap year rules a player's deal can only escalate 20% from year to year in its total value, which includes base salary and any bonuses. So year 3 can't be too different. Nevertheless, he'll probably be cuttable cap wise after just this season anyway.
              I don't see Holt as "iffy" at all. That team was so screwed up the last few years- no one could get anything going consistently.

Team him up with Maclin and they've got a real nice WR corps IMO w/ Northcutt in the slot.

The question for me now is whether we're going to see last year's Garrard or the Garrard of '07.
              "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                Paying the guy for what he's done, not what he'll do.
                I woudln't go quite that far. If '01 Holt was on the market he'd be making well more than what this Holt got.

It's not an awful contract by any means. Like I said, you compare this to the Jerry Porter deal and it's a jackpot.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by gpngc View Post
                  I don't see Holt as "iffy" at all. That team was so screwed up the last few years- no one could get anything going consistently.

Team him up with Maclin and they've got a real nice WR corps IMO w/ Northcutt in the slot.

The question for me now is whether we're going to see last year's Garrard or the Garrard of '07.
                  Well not really "iffy" I guess but think of it this way, if he struggles to make much on an impact, it wouldn't be that big of a surprise, would it? And the Jags said they're apparently not signing those types of FA's after last offseason.

BTW someone mentioned on another forum the deal has no signing bonus, just a guaranteed 2009 base salary? In that case he can be cut freely next offseason if need be. 2010 and 2011 is fluff money. So it's not quite like the Porter signing and is fairly low risk.

Comment

Not exactly sure why he got a three-year deal but at least the Jaguars are still making an attempt to get good wide receivers. I agree they overpaid and his contract is too long but you can't fault them for trying to get better. Holt is still a good wide receiver.

Comment

Good signing by the Jaguars. I wish Torry the best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
                        Not exactly sure why he got a three-year deal but at least the Jaguars are still making an attempt to get good wide receivers. I agree they overpaid and his contract is too long but you can't fault them for trying to get better. Holt is still a good wide receiver.
                        The poster above explained it. There's no signing bonus so if he's cut it won't hurt their cap. They have him under contract for three years, yes, but if he shows decline they'll simply cut him with no detriment.
                        "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

Does this mean that Jacksonville will most likely take a LT in the first. I strongly thought that Maclin would be the pick if Sanchez doesnt fall.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
                            Does this mean that Jacksonville will most likely take a LT in the first. I strongly thought that Maclin would be the pick if Sanchez doesnt fall.
                            I think the only way we would take a LT is if Monroe fell to us at #8. My personal preference is to get B.J. Raji, but I would have no problem at all with Monroe, Maclin, Crabtree, or Jenkins.

Comment

Going to be weird seeing Holt in a Jags jersey

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information