Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howard Mudd to retire

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...-hes-retiring/

Former player and current offensive line coach of the Colts has decided to call it quits after the owners opted out of the pension plan for personnel. There's also a chance that offensive coordinator Tom Moore follows suit.

I'd have to believe that this, and even more so if Moore goes to, will be a blow to the Colts. Their line hasn't exactly been great lately and they've still got a lot of young guys they're trying to work in, and this will only hamper that further.

Probably not easy to replace a position coach at this time of the year either.....even less so a coordinator potentially.

It also raises the issue for other teams with aging coaches and assistants as to whether or not they should retire now and try and collect more benefits since the league run pension plan was opted out of by the owners in March.

.....I hope all of that made sense, I'm quite tired atm.... :/
    Last edited by BeerBaron; 05-05-2009, 11:33 PM.

Wow. This is NOT good news for the Colts. Mudd has been able to seemingly have a seemless transition of players on that offensive line. And if Tom Moore goes then that will further hamper the Colts.

Definitely the beginning of the end of the Colts run.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
    WHO DAT!

Comment

Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
      Wow. This is NOT good news for the Colts. Mudd has been able to seemingly have a seemless transition of players on that offensive line. And if Tom Moore goes then that will further hamper the Colts.

I didn't want to come out and say that because I knew there'd be some Colts' fans zealously defending the team but I totally agree with that statement.

Sort of like when the Dolphins had Marino.....the Colts are always going to be dangerous with Peyton no matter what they have surrounding him. But he has been blessed for most of his career with great weapons and an o-line coach who can turn any schmuck into a decent starter. It'll be interesting to see how he does as these pieces start to fall away....

Comment

He is a great offensive line coach. May he enjoy his retirement, if it does begin now.

It's not the end of the world for the Colts, although you can be damn sure the media and people will make it out to be. Which makes me laugh.

Especially as I'm looking forward to Tom Moore retiring. Not now however, it's too late into the new season. Mudd is different, Metzelaars had been with the Colts for 5 years before becoming the official Assistant OL coach last year (Mudd was incapacitated thanks to a knee injury).

The only question is if Caldwell will hire the right successor, but he's done a great job thus far in doing what Tony Dungy could not.
        Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
          Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
          I didn't want to come out and say that because I knew there'd be some Colts' fans zealously defending the team but I totally agree with that statement.
          Originally posted by Geo View Post
          It's not the end of the world for the Colts, although you can be damn sure the media and people will make it out to be. Which makes me laugh.
          Called it! ;)

Perhaps not the end of the world, but I doubt anyone would have argued that the team is better off without Mudd, am I wrong?

Comment

Called it! ;)
            That didn't take long.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
            WHO DAT!

Comment

You called ****. I didn't zealously defend anything because I'm used to outsiders not having a damn clue about the Colts.

The most important person to the Colts' offensive line is Peyton Manning.

Comment

bring Mudd to Green Bay!!!! we need him to coach that line.

Comment

It's worth noting that this is more of a financial/pension issue then a "I'm tired of coaching" move.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4143964

That said I imagine that Polian is on the case, and can resolve the pension confusion, or offer him a new contract to make it harder to leave.

Comment

Originally posted by falloutboy14 View Post
                    It's worth noting that this is more of a financial/pension issue then a "I'm tired of coaching" move.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4143964

That said I imagine that Polian is on the case, and can resolve the pension confusion, or offer him a new contract to make it harder to leave.
                    Well, from the first article, it says that both Moore and Mudd wanted to leave with Dungy but Polian talked them out of it.

I imagine if Mudd is leaving now, it's because the Colts failed to live up to something they promised him by asking him to stay back then.

Comment

I imagine if Mudd is leaving now, it's because the Colts failed to live up to something they promised him by asking him to stay back then.
                      What you imagine, perfectly stated.

This is the result, from the most recent owners' meetings, of the revised pension plan for non-players.

Just like it says in the ESPN article, if you had actually read it.

Comment

What you imagine, perfectly stated.

This is the result, from the most recent owners' meetings, of the revised pension plan for non-players.

Just like it says in the ESPN article, if you had actually read it.
                        It says that in the first article too....and I talked about it in my first post. I know thats the reasoning, I was just adding on to what the other guy said that I most recently quoted.

Comment

You called ****. I didn't zealously defend anything because I'm used to outsiders not having a damn clue about the Colts.

The most important person to the Colts' offensive line is Peyton Manning.
                          From reading your posts in this thread I find that you are exactly what he stated.

Comment

I can't see how on Earth that's evident, from my posts.

Unless you somehow confuse zealous defending with me being pissed off that my simply stated response was followed by a "Called it!" false accusation of zealous defending.

Considering it's you, that just might be possible.
                            Last edited by Geo; 05-06-2009, 02:10 PM.

Comment

I think you might be confusing zealous with like.....idiotic or something bad. It's really not. It's just that typically whenever something gets posted about a team that could be bad news, the fans come out rather quick and dismiss why it's not bad.

Good example for you to try out: Go post something in the NFC North section about how Jay Cutler is better than Aaron Rodgers and see how long it takes you until your swarmed by the seemingly limitless number of Packers fans about how wrong you are and the umpteen (still can't believe that's recognized as an actual word) million reasons why.

Like, if for some reason Urlacher suddenly retired and someone posted a thread about it an in that thread, were saying things like "oh man, the Bears defense is gonna suck now" or something, I'd be right there with my umpteen (love it) million reasons why that's incorrect. "Lance Briggs has been better than him lately anyway.....Jamar Williams is a really good young backup who the staff loves and he would fill in....Nick Roach got some starting experience last year at SAM and looked good.....we just drafted Marcus Freeman.....etc etc etc" you get the point. Zealously defended.

And you post after I "called it" was pretty much the type of zealousness I expected. You covered the basic points of a "zealous" fan response. You got the "this isn't as bad as it seems" in there, got your reasons why, got your "how we'll replace him" part........seems like a textbook case of zealousness.

And zealous, like I pointed out, isn't bad. I was just expecting it and....there it came.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information