Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Only few of the Rivals 100 make a Pro roster.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only few of the Rivals 100 make a Pro roster.

I was going over the Rivals Top 100 recruits through the years, and noticed few if any make it to an NFL roster. Actually very few seem to even make an impact in college.

Of the 300 players selected as the top 100 recruits coming out of high school between 2002-2004, I am only seeing 2 Potential NFL Hall of Famers, Haloti Ngata (#2 in 2002), Adriane Peterson (#1 in 2004). Still too early to comment on guys from the Rivals 2005 class.

So what's my point? Point is don't get too happy if your school got a "good" recruiting class, it does not mean jack.

Guys can be extremely good college players and not have successful pro careers. It happens.

Sig by the sigmaster BoneKrusher. Each one is a masterpiece
    Originally posted by BaLLiN72
    i wish NFLDC had something like "wall to wall" where we could see Brodeur and Job's conversations.
    Originally posted by Job
    NFLDC would be jizzing itself non-stop.

Comment

this makes sense to me... the transition from college to the nfl is much larger than high school to college. Plus the 3-4 years you are at college are the years that you mentally mature and you see if you have the head to play the game. Also another factor is size... in high school you can be a freak athlete but not have prototypical size. the nfl puts so much on size that a small RB who was a high recruit wont have the same impact when he tries to transition to the pros.
      these athletes bodies are still developing and we have a better sense when they are exiting college rather than entering it. And there are those cases (Darrius Heyward-Bey) who do not start football until late in high school or college and once they get the hang of it, could surpass those who have reacehd their maximum potential despite having played football all their life

Go Ravens!

Comment

2002-Obviously Ngata at #2 was a big hit but after that it wasn't great. Its still too early to give up on Vince Young but it really needs to happen sometime soon. But overall, yes not a very good year.

2003-Doesn't have any outstanding players yet in the NFL but there is great potential. Sims, Bush, Olsen, Griffen, Nelson, Landry. All of these players are at the worst potential pro bowlers and two of the best young safeties(Landry and Griffen) came out of this year so overall not too bad.

2004-The top half of this class has some outstanding players. Obviously AD is up there at the top, but players like Keith Rivers, Glen Dorsey, Derrick Harvey(all first year players last year taken in the top 10), Zach Miller, Marshawn Lynch and CALVIN JOHNSON. AD and CJ alone make this class very good.

Overall it is tough to make projections from college to the NFL, let alone high school to the NFL. 2002 was the worst year recently but '03 and '04 were realtively good.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

wait, why wouldn't i be excited if my fav college had a sick recruiting class?

they're all gonna go to diff pro teams or not make it at all

Comment

Originally posted by superman View Post
            wait, why wouldn't i be excited if my fav college had a sick recruiting class?

they're all gonna go to diff pro teams or not make it at all
            Because it's really 50/50. Florida St. the last couple of years should be just as good as USC or Florida (according to Rivals Rankings). Just looking at the 2004 class, it seems not much of those guys even made an impact in college, much less the pros.

Comment

Originally posted by the decider13 View Post
              Guys can be extremely good college players and not have successful pro careers. It happens.
              Exactly. Also, recruiting is probably even more of a toss up than the NFL draft. Kids go through huge changes phyiscally in college....

Comment

you know we are talking about the top 100 from the about 3000 guys that actually sign loi to div1 schools. so unless you expect about 30 potential hof-ers per class it does say something. surely the effect is exagerated but scout and rivals do want to sell their goods so they make a big fuzz about it

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
                - No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
                - Corner or Wideout in the first
                - No reaching
                - No Kelvin Benjamin

Comment

Originally posted by hagy34 View Post
                  Exactly. Also, recruiting is probably even more of a toss up than the NFL draft. Kids go through huge changes phyiscally in college....
                  Yea Aaron Curry is a great example there. He was a 2 star(I think) prospect coming out of high school at 6'2 195 but four years and fifty pounds later he is the highest rated linebacker prospect out of college in a while

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

Originally posted by wicket View Post
                    you know we are talking about the top 100 from the about 3000 guys that actually sign loi to div1 schools. so unless you expect about 30 potential hof-ers per class it does say something. surely the effect is exagerated but scout and rivals do want to sell their goods so they make a big fuzz about it
                    Yeah I realize that. You would think they could predict talent better, However...

I can understand, it an impossible job. After all, how can you scout 20,000 potential prospects and predict how much they will grow or faster they will be?

Comment

Julio Jones will certainly add to that slim total here pretty soon.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                      I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by EricCartmann View Post
                        Because it's really 50/50. Florida St. the last couple of years should be just as good as USC or Florida (according to Rivals Rankings). Just looking at the 2004 class, it seems not much of those guys even made an impact in college, much less the pros.
                        don't you think having a good class gives them a better shot though?

Comment

Originally posted by superman View Post
                          don't you think having a good class gives them a better shot though?
                          But of course, it is something, and something is always better than nothing. Looking at the Rivals Recruit Rankings by teams in 2005, and how these teams fared in 2008:

USC Rivals Recruting Class in 2005 was #1, and in 2008 this team finished ranked #2 (You can say this recruiting class lived up to expectations)

OU #2 in 2005, and finished ranked #5 2008 (You can say this recruiting class lived up to expectations)

Florida #15 in 2005, and finished ranked #3 in 2008 (You can say this recruiting class exceeded expectations)

Utah #59 in 2005, and finished ranked #3 in 2008 (You can say this recruiting class exceeded expectations).

Tennessee, Texas A&M, Miami, Michigan, and Nebraska also had huge recruiting classes in 2005, but none did much of anything in 2008.

On the flip side, you have TCU, BYU, and Georgia Tech all had recruiting classes ranked in the bottom half of D1, but all finished in the top 25.

A good recruiting class does not seem to guarantee much of anything. It is still a coin flip at the end of the day.

Comment

Texas also had a #1 recruiting class in 2002 I believe that led to their 05 championship, they are consistently a top 10 team but that was the strongest class probably in ten years.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                            I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

What, how highly recruited a kid is doesn't guarantee they'll beast in college or the NFL? When did this happen...

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information