TE Vernon Davis - Pro Bowler??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a question then.

With Gonzo and Winslow out of the conference, is this the year Heath Miller could make the Pro-Bowl?

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
      I have a question then.

With Gonzo and Winslow out of the conference, is this the year Heath Miller could make the Pro-Bowl?
      Unless Zach Miller continues to shoulder the brunt of the Raiders' passing game. It will definitely be a guy named Miller.

Comment

Originally posted by CC.SD View Post
        Unless Zach Miller continues to shoulder the brunt of the Raiders' passing game. It will definitely be a guy named Miller.
        They take 3 right?

I understand it's mostly receiving stats (I almost hope Miller doesn't make it because it's a contract year but..)

Gonzalez, Winslow, Gates I believe was the starting trio last year.

Gonzo/Winslow moved to NFC..

Gates, Daniels, Miller, Keller, Scheffler?

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Ness View Post
          It would be because of Matt Hasselbeck, not because Carlson is necessarily a better tight end. Not to take anything away from Carlson, he's a good player. I just don't think he's head over heels better than Vernon Davis.

Huh?

Carlson had Seneca Wallace throwing to him for 8 games last year, and he was 9th in the NFL in yards by TE's with 627...Davis was 26th with 358. Carlson's rookie year was better than any season Davis has had.
          "Oh **** it's Kam, RUN!!!"

Comment

They take 3 right?

I understand it's mostly receiving stats (I almost hope Miller doesn't make it because it's a contract year but..)

Nope they only take two, Winslow twiddled his thumbs. Daniels won't make it he is not that well regarded for some reason, I can't figure out why myself. Scheffler, well his TE game isn't complete, but that's never stopped the voters before so who knows. I think it will definitely be a Miller opposite Gates. Heath deserves it and Zach will probably have production on his side. Interesting race.

Comment

Dallas Clark, Owen Daniels, Antonio Gates, Dustin Keller, Zach Miller would be my top 5.

How Scheffler makes yours top 5 confuses me. He was 11th in receptions & 6th in yards for AFC Tight Ends. Also, his situation seemingly got worse (Cutler gone, Moreno picked up to take snaps away from the entire Broncos receiving corp.).

Anyways, Vernon Davis seems a bit immature, but I'm sure at some point in his future he mature enough to do some good for a team. Hopefully for the 49ers it happens soon.

Comment

They take 3 right?

Bo Scaife was really good last year and could push for a spot in the pro bowl this year if he puts up similar numbers even though I don't expect him to with all the new firepower the Titans have.

Oh and the probowl only takes two tight ends per team.
                Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
                RIP themaninblack

Comment

Dallas Clark probably ends the discussion, in retrospect. It's time.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSTKUNTLAWL View Post
                    I remember when he came out of Maryland everyone was worried about whether or not he could block. Well.. He certainly can do that.

If you were to tell me he would be this kind of blocker this early in his career I would have said he's the best TE in the game. I have no idea what the problem is in San Francisco, but someone deserves some blame on that coaching staff.

I don't get to see too many Niner games, but he's being under utilized and not coached good enough, clearly. I refuse to believe it's his work ethic, because he went from not understanding how to block to being a complete monster.

He's either going to need a new team to fill his potential or he's going to get it done this year under Singletary. We will see.

I'm still buying the potential. Call me delusional if you may..
                    I'm with this, it's not as if he is just a pure workout warrior, the guy was a heck of a player in college, and he developed his college weakness into a huge strength.
                    Originally posted by SNIPER26
                    fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

For all his athleticism, Davis just isn't a particularly smooth athlete and it shows in the passing game. He doesn't position his body very well and he doesn't catch the ball very well. However, if I had to make a list of the best blocking tight-ends in the league, he would place very near the top. Certainly, it doesn't justify his draft selection spot or his contract, and he's not a Pro-Bowl caliber player, but he's a solid player with some more room to grow (just not as much as some originally thought).

Comment

I don't get why people say he has a bad work ethic, he's always been an extremely hard worker. Just because someone hasn't lived up to their draft position doesn't mean they are lazy, sometimes they are just picked too high.

He'll never live up his pick number but he can still be a solid cog in an offense. He's an absolute beast when he's blocking, just ask Joey Porter. I still think he can be a really good end-zone target and a solid receiver but needs to work on getting the ball better, like Paranoidmoonduck said he just doesn't look like a natural pass catcher.

He is one of Mike Singletery's favorite players (contrary to popular belief) and from all indications Vernon is working his ass off and being a leader in the off-season, so we will have to see how that translates this year.

Comment

Originally posted by CC.SD View Post
                          You know you look at the kind of firepower the 9ers can bring to the table (I have big respect for Josh Morgan, and obviously Bruce, Crabtree, Davis and Gore are in there too.) and you have to wonder why they have such trust in Shaun Hill. The guy might pan out, but seriously they needed to try a little harder to bring somebody in.
                          Who was available to bring in, really? A rookie would have set us back. Warner wasn't going to sign with us. Cutler was under contract and he would have cost way too much to acquire. Hill has played very well and deserves a shot at being a starter.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                          -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                          Originally posted by Borat
                          Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

Originally posted by GB12 View Post
                            What?

Matt Hasselbeck only played in 7 games last year. Only 1 of Carlson's 5 TDs was from Hasselbeck, the other 4 were from Seneca Wallace and Charlie Frye.

Not sure why you're bringing up QB play. John Carlson put up better numbers as a rookie than Vernon Davis ever has with not much better of a QB.
                            But with Hasselbeck at quarterback, Carlson should receive a boost in his statistics. If Hasselbeck is healthy, the Seahawks have a chance to have a good season. And that means more attention to your team. Which helps Carlson.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                            -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                            Originally posted by Borat
                            Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

Jeremy Shockey 2.0 and I still love the shock. Come in as great athletes who weren't good blockers, became excellent blockers while injuries impaired their ability to contribute in the passing game as much as they should, mixed with poor focus which leads to drops.

Comment

Just a word on Shaun Hill, he led Maryland to the Orange Bowl his senior season, the same year he quarterbacked the TErps to an outright ACC title.

He may not have been an elite prospect coming into the league, but IMO he's a big-time gamer and has the head and psychological makeup to be a very steady NFL signal caller.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information