No announcement yet.

TE Vernon Davis - Pro Bowler??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor coaching and improper use have led to Davis not living up to his potential. Now that Coach Singletary is in charge, expect to see a change in the play of Vernon Davis. Singletary has already put his foot in VD's back-side and let him know he won't go for the "it's all about me" mentality.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

Vernon Davis can be a Pro Bowler if he wants to be.
      my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
      <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
      <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
      <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
      Originally posted by Hermstheman83
      What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

In Madden he is.

Comment

Davis' struggles really have much more to do with his attitude, terrible hands, and terrible route-running than they do the quarterbacking.

Comment

hes a body catcher.. thats his biggest problem. if he caught the balls with his hands more hed have more catches and the qbs would probably have more confidence in him.

im still insanely impressed with his blocking though.. during the dolphins game he did a better job of blocking joey porter one on one than barry sims did.

Comment

Originally posted by papa burgundy View Post
              hes a body catcher.. thats his biggest problem. if he caught the balls with his hands more hed have more catches and the qbs would probably have more confidence in him.

im still insanely impressed with his blocking though.. during the dolphins game he did a better job of blocking joey porter one on one than barry sims did.
              I've always considered VD a Mr. "Manos de Piedros", Hands of Stone type guy.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by CC.SD View Post
                Dallas Clark ... It's time.
                This season is his best chance yet, I think. No Harrison to take away looks/touches, which could lead to better production ala 2007, and Tony Gonzalez is in the NFC (sorry to say he did slip my mind, d021). But if he doesn't make it, he doesn't make it.
                Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Originally posted by CJSchneider View Post
                  Piedras, not piedros.

Comment

Originally posted by CJSchneider View Post
                    I'm sure he can catch better than this guy

Comment

I thought Vernon Davis would be a bust the second he got drafted.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSTKUNTLAWL View Post
                        I remember when he came out of Maryland everyone was worried about whether or not he could block. Well.. He certainly can do that.

If you were to tell me he would be this kind of blocker this early in his career I would have said he's the best TE in the game. I have no idea what the problem is in San Francisco, but someone deserves some blame on that coaching staff.

I don't get to see too many Niner games, but he's being under utilized and not coached good enough, clearly. I refuse to believe it's his work ethic, because he went from not understanding how to block to being a complete monster.

He's either going to need a new team to fill his potential or he's going to get it done this year under Singletary. We will see.

I'm still buying the potential. Call me delusional if you may..
                        +1

I buy into his potential and work ethic big time. It's not like he hasn't made nice plays when he's had the ball in his hands, he just doesn't have the ball in his hands that often.

Comment

If he played every game like he played against the Eagles this past year, he'd be a Pro Bowler.

Comment

Maybe this is his year maybe the next. I wouldn't exactly call him a bust but to each his own..

Comment

Originally posted by SenorGato View Post
                              +1

I buy into his potential and work ethic big time. It's not like he hasn't made nice plays when he's had the ball in his hands, he just doesn't have the ball in his hands that often.
                              I am not calling him a bust yet because in 2007, when he was healthy and got the ball thrown to him, he showed a lot of potential and put him decent numbers. In 2006 he was injured and a rookie and last year Martz didn't really call many plays that put the ball into his hands. But the problem is that even when the ball is supposed to come to him he runs the wrong route or drops the pass. Those mistakes are on him and no one else.

Comment

Originally posted by Ness View Post
                                It would be because of Matt Hasselbeck, not because Carlson is necessarily a better tight end. Not to take anything away from Carlson, he's a good player. I just don't think he's head over heels better than Vernon Davis.

Really, Davis has been a victim of under-utilization and poor quarterback play his entire tenure in San Francisco. When he's given the opportunity to shine, he has shown he has the power to dominate. He does have his issues though. There have been reports of him being a prima donna type, and his hands aren't that great. But he can be a gamebreaker in this league. If he were on a team with a much stable quarterback situation, I'm sure he would have already made a Pro Bowl easily.

He's a little bit slimmer in training camp now and by the looks of what has been said and heart, Jimmy Raye does plan to use him more in the offense as a pass catching target and not just a blocker like Martz did. Shaun Hill has provided pretty decent quarterback play thus far, so that helps. If Hill is the starter and plays like he did last season for the eight games he started, then Davis may finally have a breakout season. It might be a little difficult though still since Morgan, Bruce, and Crabtree could take away looks from Davis' way.
                                This is a pretty good assessment of Davis IMO. Martz's offense doesn't utilize the TE as a pass receiver so he was lost playing under Martz. His problem remains the weak QBing that San Fran has. It is tough for anybody to put up great pass catching #'s with a mediocre QB throwing you the ball.
                                And proud of it!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information