Brian Urlacher

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian Urlacher

I was just wondering. Why does everyone think Brian Urlacher sucks now and that he's too old? He had one down year. When other players have down years people always believe those guys will bounce back, why not Urlacher? Part of his problems last year could be to the bad back he claimed he has. I understand it could be a long-lasting problem that could make him play worse over the seasons, but one down season and a not so serious arthritic back has people talking about him being too old. The guy just turned 31 yesterday. He's a linebacker not a running back. Linebackers usually last longer, into their mid-30s. Mostly elite ones like him. I don't see why people are dropping such a great player down so much after one down season, mostly when he had a great season before.

I haven't heard any positive analysis of him this season at all. It seems to be all negative and seems as if everyone doesn't expect a bounce back year at all. Am I missing something?

he is solid but nothing really special, at least he didnt show anything

Comment

I don't see why this has its own thread here. Perhaps this needs to be moved to the Bears forum?

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
        I don't see why this has its own thread here. Perhaps this needs to be moved to the Bears forum?
        I'm not a Bears fan nor an Urlacher fan. I don't hate him, I'm not some fan trying to support his lack of production last year. I also want analysis by other NFL fans, not homers. It's easy to predict that homers will think that he'll bounce back. I just want to know why everyone thinks he's doing worse, is there something I missed? And why no one thinks he'll bounce back.

Comment

At age 30+, the upside for any player is limited. Throw in the fact that lot of Urlacher's game is predicated on his ability to cut off angles and range from sideline to sideline, and it's easy to project that he will lose some of his initial burst/acceleration and will begin to lose some of his effectiveness. The Bears can counteract this by beefing up their DLine and keeping him free to flow to the ball, but that really isn't their system, and he is a bit out of place in many cover-2 playcalls. I believe his strength comes when he pushes forward and meets the ball, not from reading and reacting. Since Smith and the defensive coaches remain, I don't believe he will always be put in situations where he can play to his biggest strengths.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Ehhh Urlacher had a down year but he's still pretty good. Bears rush D was top 5 I believe, of course the way to beat them was through the air so teams passed alot but still top 5 is nothing to sneeze at. Briggs,Harris and the rest of the Dline helped alot of course, but Urlacher is the man in the middle so he gets a ton of credit for being top 5.

Comment

He can play for the Bolts anytime. Even if his game drops off, he brings it and is a complete linebacker.

Comment

Urlacher would suck in a 3-4. he is horrible at shedding blocks

Comment

Originally posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
                  Urlacher would suck in a 3-4. he is horrible at shedding blocks
                  He's not worse than Matt Wilhelm.

Comment

For starters, it wasn't one down year for Urlacher, he's been going downwards for several now. Lance Briggs easily surpassed him as the team's best defender a number of seasons ago.

Now, Urlacher is still a captain, a leader on the field, and well respected in the locker room. He's smart, sees the field well and does all of the other things you like to see out of your veteran MLB.

Trust me, a good 90% of the other teams in the league would view Urlacher as a serious upgrade to whoever they have if they could get their hands on him now.

But, I'm afraid he can only go downwards from here in his career......hopefully the Bears will get a few more solid seasons from him, but he hasn't played like the pro bowler he once was for several seasons now. I'd love for him to rebound but with his chronic back injury and just age and wear in general sure to take their toll sooner rather than later, I'm afraid for him.

Comment

Originally posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
                      he is solid but nothing really special, at least he didnt show anything
                      Nothing special? You think he's an average starting linebacker? C'mon.....

He may not be the elite player he once was, but he's still what I would consider special.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Back issues can and usually kill the careers (the elite portions of them anyway) quicker than you can snap your finger.

Urlacher is servicable still, saw some things I liked in him early last year. You can no longer build that defense around him though and he may have to be turned into a 2 down LB if the Bears want a strong Urlacher late in the year from this point on.
                        Originally posted by Paul
                        Eli's opportunity to become a legend.
                        Originally posted by Vikes99ej
                        These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
                        MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                          Nothing special? You think he's an average starting linebacker? C'mon.....

He may not be the elite player he once was, but he's still what I would consider special.
                          well nothing REALLY special.

Comment

Brian Urlacher has always been one of my favorite players in the league. First jersey I bought, and I wore #54 when I played ILB because of him. Great football player, great guy as well from everything Ive heard. I didnt get to see alot of Bears games last year, but the guy has always been a pleasure for me to watch and I hope that he continues to play at a high level for years to come. He was the heart and soul of that Bears defense for a long time, and of course there are always transitions, but you gotta believe that at 31 he still has some gas left in the tank. Lets hope so, for the Bears sake anyways.
                            Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                            The APS is strong in this one.
                            Originally posted by killxswitch
                            Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

He's still a very good player and his backlash has been a little much. He's struggles in traffic but so do most LB's, he can still make outstanding plays with space. I just don't think he's particularly special anymore, and LB is kind of an overrated position as most guys can play pretty well if they are given room to run, so unless your a truly special player (including intangibles) I just don't see the value. That said this isn't the first time people said he had a down year, and he's had strong years after those so I wouldn't write him off as being on the downslope of his career yet, he's still quite the athlete.

People also talk about how he struggles if you can run right at him, and I don't know if the Bears still play Cover 2 but that's just an overall weakness of that system.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information