No announcement yet.

Your team's top training camp battles?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your team's top training camp battles?

For the 9ers...

QB- Shaun Hill vs. Alex Smith

This competition doesn't exactly inspire anyone, but it's the biggest one for the 49ers. Hill was said to have the lead but numerous people (beat writers + our GM) have said Smith looks the best he ever has in career in practice. Whether that translates to the field remains to be seen. Right now Hill has the edge but i would not be surprised if Smith wins either.

#2 CB- Dre Bly vs. Tarrell Brown

Our #2 CB Walt Harris tore his ACL in minicamps in May. Considering he turns 35 in a month it may mean the end of his career. We signed Bly soon after Harris was injured and he will compete with Brown. Brown was nice as a nickelback last year but it may be too soon, if ever, to place him in the starting lineup consistently.

WR- Isaac Bruce + Josh Morgan + Michael Crabtree + Brandon Jones + Jason Hill + Arnaz Battle + Dominique Ziegler

This is a crowded lineup. You have the 15 year vet who was our best WR last year in Bruce. Josh Morgan who had a promising rookie year, has the tools to succeed, as well as being placed high on the depth chart. A Free Agent we gave $16.5 million to in Brandon Jones. A 3rd round pick from 07 who played decently well when given playing time in Jason Hill. A solid, uninspiring and mediocre but dependable vet in Arnaz Battle. The young wideout who makes great catches in practice all the time in Dominique Ziegler. And that's not counting the top 10 pick in Crabtree. More than likely, Bruce is the starting FL and Morgan the starting SE, but the backup spots are wide open. Jason Hill was our slot receiver last year and will probably be our slot receiver again, but i can see Crabtree getting some time in the slot this year as well. This is a crowded, young, talented, and largely unproven group, but it will be exciting to see how it plays out.
    Last edited by 49ersfan_87; 07-10-2009, 10:36 AM.

For the Baltimore Ravens -

RB - Ray Rice vs. Willis McGahee -
    Ray Rice is the typical "John Harbaugh" type payer. He's got great chracter and he had a great offseason and he really bulked up. Whereas McGahee has been rumored to be in Harbaughs doghouse, he was consistently injured last year and didn't work hard. This offseason, he has gotten better but can he catch up to Rice? We'll see in TC.

Comment

Only real battles I can think of:

2nd Cornerback spot. William *** or Deshea Townsend - Old guy vs. his protege. William *** should be able to pull this off rather easily.

RG spot. Darnell Stapelton or the Rook, Kraig Urbik. Few rookies start on the Steelers so it will probably be Stapelton's for one more season. But you never know. Urbik could do wickedly awesome.

Also Baltimore fans, don't yall have a big battle at ILB next to Ray??

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig

Comment

Patriots:
        TE- Although I fully expect Watson to remain the starting TE week one, Chris Baker and Alex Smith were brought in to compete, and have a legitimate spot at gaining a starting position at some point in the season, perhaps even sooner.

CB- Leigh Bodden and Shawn Springs are expected to be the starters, but have 2nd year players Terrence Wheatley and Jonathan Wilhite are looking to gain more playing time, not to mention rookie 2nd rond pick Darius Butler. The starting positions will probably be Bodden and Springs to start (as long as Springs can stay healthy), with Wheatley and Wilhite/Butler as the nickel and dime backs. Springs can also play some FS so there will probably be some moving around in the secondary....

...which brings me to Safety: Merriweather has one spot locked down, with James Sanders and rookie 2nd round pick Patrick Chung fighting for the other spot, with Springs able to play some safety if/when healthy. Expect Sanders to start at the beginning of the season as he has 3+ years in the system, but it will be awfully hard to keep Chung off the field, and as such I expect him to get a ton of reps in certain packages.

OLB- At OLB Adalius Thomas has one spot locked down, the other is a big battle. Shawn Crable has been getting rave reviews by teammates and coaches, but was hurt his entire rookie year. Pierre Woods looked ok before he broke his jaw last year. Tully Banta-Cain was ok when he was last here, but has experience in the system and can be an average player. Vince Redd, while very athletically gifted and a coach favorite (he won scout team player of the week all last year, and was highly praised by the coaches), has yet to gain any experience, and is a real wild card this year. I expect a really interesting TC battle this year at OLB, and I really do not know what to expect.
        Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins, Texas Longhorns

Comment

Originally posted by Bigburt63 View Post
          Patriots:
          TE- Although I fully expect Watson to remain the starting TE week one, Chris Baker and Alex Smith were brought in to compete, and have a legitimate spot at gaining a starting position at some point in the season, perhaps even sooner.

CB- Leigh Bodden and Shawn Springs are expected to be the starters, but have 2nd year players Terrence Wheatley and Jonathan Wilhite are looking to gain more playing time, not to mention rookie 2nd rond pick Darius Butler. The starting positions will probably be Bodden and Springs to start (as long as Springs can stay healthy), with Wheatley and Wilhite/Butler as the nickel and dime backs. Springs can also play some FS so there will probably be some moving around in the secondary....

...which brings me to Safety: Merriweather has one spot locked down, with James Sanders and rookie 2nd round pick Patrick Chung fighting for the other spot, with Springs able to play some safety if/when healthy. Expect Sanders to start at the beginning of the season as he has 3+ years in the system, but it will be awfully hard to keep Chung off the field, and as such I expect him to get a ton of reps in certain packages.

OLB- At OLB Adalius Thomas has one spot locked down, the other is a big battle. Shawn Crable has been getting rave reviews by teammates and coaches, but was hurt his entire rookie year. Pierre Woods looked ok before he broke his jaw last year. Tully Banta-Cain was ok when he was last here, but has experience in the system and can be an average player. Vince Redd, while very athletically gifted and a coach favorite (he won scout team player of the week all last year, and was highly praised by the coaches), has yet to gain any experience, and is a real wild card this year. I expect a really interesting TC battle this year at OLB, and I really do not know what to expect.
          All looks good to me, though I would also add RT. Nick Kaczur has been unspectacular on the field and made some bad press off it, and Ryan O'Callaghan hasn't done anything. The staff is really high on rookie Sebastian Vollmer, the second round pick out of Houston who we drafted much earlier than he was anticipated to go. He is very raw but has a very high ceiling, if he looks good and shows that he has the ability to play early the job could wind up being his.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Vito View Post
            All looks good to me, though I would also add RT. Nick Kaczur has been unspectacular on the field and made some bad press off it, and Ryan O'Callaghan hasn't done anything. The staff is really high on rookie Sebastian Vollmer, the second round pick out of Houston who we drafted much earlier than he was anticipated to go. He is very raw but has a very high ceiling, if he looks good and shows that he has the ability to play early the job could wind up being his.
            I was thinking about putting it, but Kaczur would have to really mess up to let Vollmer, who I think is a year or 2 away from ebing ready, start. Like you said, he is very raw at this point. Could it happen? Yes, but I don't think they are as close as it seems.
            Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins, Texas Longhorns

Comment

For the Packers, I expect Jermichael Finley to beat out Donald Lee for the starting TE job.

The starting right tackle job is pretty wide open, with Barbre currently in the lead I think.

Scott Wells is going to have to win the center job.

Jordy Nelson is challenging James Jones for the 3rd WR spot.

The most interesting is which of the many options at OLB will win roster spots. Obviously Clay Matthews and Aaron Kampman are guaranteed spots but Jeremy Thompson, Brady Poppinga, and Brandon Chillar are all going to be competing for playing time too.

sig by BoneKrusher

PACKERS BADGERS BREWERS BUCKS

Comment

Originally posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
                For the 9ers...

QB- Shaun Hill vs. Alex Smith

This competition doesn't exactly inspire anyone, but it's the biggest one for the 49ers. Hill was said to have the lead but numerous people (beat writers + our GM) have said Smith looks the best he ever has in career in practice. Whether that translates to the field remains to be seen. Right now Hill has the edge but i would not be surprised if Smith wins either.

#2 CB- Dre Bly vs. Tarrell Brown

Our #2 CB Walt Harris tore his ACL in minicamps in May. Considering he turns 35 in a month it may mean the end of his career. We signed Bly soon after Harris was injured and he will compete with Brown. Brown was nice as a nickelback last year but it may be too soon, if ever, to place him in the starting lineup consistently.

WR- Isaac Bruce + Josh Morgan + Michael Crabtree + Brandon Jones + Jason Hill + Arnaz Battle + Dominique Ziegler

This is a crowded lineup. You have the 15 year vet who was our best WR last year in Bruce. Josh Morgan who had a promising rookie year, has the tools to succeed, as well as being placed high on the depth chart. A Free Agent we gave $16.5 million to in Brandon Jones. A 3rd round pick from 07 who played decently well when given playing time in Jason Hill. A solid, uninspiring and mediocre but dependable vet in Arnaz Battle. The young wideout who makes great catches in practice all the time in Dominique Ziegler. And that's not counting the top 10 pick in Crabtree. More than likely, Bruce is the starting FL and Morgan the starting SE, but the backup spots are wide open. Jason Hill was our slot receiver last year and will probably be our slot receiver again, but i can see Crabtree getting some time in the slot this year as well. This is a crowded, young, talented, and largely unproven group, but it will be exciting to see how it plays out.

I'd add...

Defensive End

Justin Smith (9 - Missouri)
                Isaac Sopoaga (5 - Hawaii)
                Kentwan Balmer (2 - North Carolina)
                Ray McDonald (3 - Florida)
                Demetric Evans (8 - Georgia)
                Ricky Jean-Francois (R - LSU)
                Pannel Egboh (R - Stanford)

Only Justin Smith has 100% lock on his DE position. Sopoaga signed a big extension last season and the 49ers spent their 1st round pick on Balmer. Both Sopoaga and Balmer are considered the depth behind Aubrayo Franklin at NT. McDonald has shown to be very fast off the ball and a potential nightmare in Manusky's 1-Gap system. Unfortunately he's had 3 ACL surgeries in 4 years and will likely start the season on PUP. Evans was just brought in as a FA from the Redskins. Jean-Francois has as much upside as anyone but also enough question marks to drop him to the 7th round. Egboh will have a tremendously difficult time making the squad. The depth is a nice problem to have but someone needs to step up and be as dominant on their end of the line as Mr. Smith has been on his.

Comment

Originally posted by terribletowel39 View Post

2nd Cornerback spot. William *** or Deshea Townsend - Old guy vs. his protege. William *** should be able to pull this off rather easily.

RG spot. Darnell Stapelton or the Rook, Kraig Urbik. Few rookies start on the Steelers so it will probably be Stapelton's for one more season. But you never know. Urbik could do wickedly awesome.

Also Baltimore fans, don't yall have a big battle at ILB next to Ray??
                  Don't forget about Keenan Lewis for the second corner spot, although I don't think he wins it and mind end up as the third corner.

Also, the third wide reciever from Limas and McDonald and backup quarterback job with Dixon and Batch.

Comment

For KC its Right Tackle

Damion McIntosh, 2nd year man Barry Richardson and rookie Colin Brown

OLB opposite Mike Vrable; Andy Studebaker (awesome name), Tamba Hali or Turk McBride
                    my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                    <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                    <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                    <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                    Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                    What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by senormysterioso View Post
                      For the Packers, I expect Jermichael Finley to beat out Donald Lee for the starting TE job.

The starting right tackle job is pretty wide open, with Barbre currently in the lead I think.

Scott Wells is going to have to win the center job.

Jordy Nelson is challenging James Jones for the 3rd WR spot.

The most interesting is which of the many options at OLB will win roster spots. Obviously Clay Matthews and Aaron Kampman are guaranteed spots but Jeremy Thompson, Brady Poppinga, and Brandon Chillar are all going to be competing for playing time too.

I heard some chatter lately that Finley could beat out Lee, but I also read that Finley dropped 5 lbs this off-season so I'm not sure if that's really going to help being a full-time TE as he was already rail thin.

Though he definately has the skills to be a starting TE in this league, he really should only be a rookie this year and he would still be considered pretty raw, so I'm not expecting him at this best until next year at least...I've always been confident he has the skills to suceed.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                      I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by HinesWardJr View Post
                        Don't forget about Keenan Lewis for the second corner spot, although I don't think he wins it and mind end up as the third corner.

Also, the third wide reciever from Limas and McDonald and backup quarterback job with Dixon and Batch.
                        Yea. I was just thinking about starting spots. But the Dixon and Batch one is intriguing. I love Batch and he has done amazing when he has to come in. But I am ready for Dixon to move up. He is exciting.

And I hope to god Sweed can keep off McDonald. He has been diligently working on his catching and conditioning. Hopefully it shows.

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig

Comment

Originally posted by terribletowel39 View Post

Also Baltimore fans, don't yall have a big battle at ILB next to Ray
                          ??
                          It's pretty much decided by now. Tarvares Gooden, former 3rd round draft pick from Miami is set to take over for Bart Scott. Ray has taken him under his wing and they have had a great offseason.

Comment

RG and RT: Ryan Tucker vs Floyd Womack vs Rex Hadnot vs George Foster vs John St.Clair for the two spots on the right side of the OLine.

Other than that it's pretty much the game of who's healthy....Robaire Smith and Steve Heiden will start if healthy, if not then Kenyon Coleman at RDE and Robert Royal at TE.

Comment

There should actually be quite a few good camp battles for the Titans.....
                              Patrick Ramsey v. Vince Young for backup QB
                              Javon Ringer v. Quinton Ganther for 3rd HB
                              Nate Washington v. Kenny Britt for #2 WR (even though Fisher usually prefers vets)
                              Tight End could end up being an all around battle with Scaife, Crumpler, Cook, and last year's 3rd round pick Craig Stevens.
                              LeRoy Harris might push Eugene Amano for his his starting OG job.
                              Jovan Haye and Jason Jones should duke it out for the starting DT spot next to Tony Brown.
                              Stephen Tulloch v. Ryan Fowler.
                              Lots O' excitement to be sure.
                              Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
                              RIP themaninblack

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information