No announcement yet.

Should Ray Lewis been a co-mvp in 2000?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Ray Lewis been a co-mvp in 2000?

Marshall Faulk had a total of 2,189 yards and 26 which is amazing for a running back, but I always hear people say their won't be another year like the year Ray Lewis had. As unstoppable as he was. I really believe it was a very close race. So I wonder what you guys think.

His 187 tackles are really amazing. Stats don't tell the whole story, but I believe everyone has heard the story about how amazing he was.

I think he more than made up for it with the Superbowl MVP he got. A defensive player hasn't won the MVP since LT.

Comment

I think in general, defensive players continually get snubbed in the MVP conversation.

Unfortunately, the precedent has been set that unless you have a year like Alan Page or LT had, you won't get consideration.

As impressive as Ray was, he didn't have a year like the 2 mentioned above. I would say yes, his name definitely deserved mention, but realistically you won't win MVP as a defensive player unless you have a year that defies logic.

Comment

No doubt about it. I personally thought that he was the "most valuable player" in the NFL that year.

Comment

The MVP title is a hard one to define, but the way it goes now is biased to offensive players because they score the points, and points win games. I need to look back at that season closer to make a judgement on this, but in general, defense will always get overlooked.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Originally posted by dRaFtDoRk
          You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

Comment

I still say no. I remember the year, and he was great, but to be MVP, I do think you have to be absolutely over the top. He's on record as only having 107 solo tackles (30 assisted,) only 2 picks, and three sacks. Sorry, as a defensive player, I need you to dominate in all categories to hand over an MVP trophy.

Follow Me on Twitter!
            https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

He was the most valuable player to the Super Bowl champs. I think he should have won it solo. I could care less about stats when he was as dominant as he was. You have to remember that the 2000 Ravens D set an all time record for fewest points scored. Lewis did more for that D than Marshall did for his team. Faulk had a great great year, but Ray was more valuable. The key word is valuable here.
              "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
              ~Nigerian Proverb

Da riddum is too much for you.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

Comment

Originally posted by JBond93 View Post
                I still say no. I remember the year, and he was great, but to be MVP, I do think you have to be absolutely over the top. He's on record as only having 107 solo tackles (30 assisted,) only 2 picks, and three sacks. Sorry, as a defensive player, I need you to dominate in all categories to hand over an MVP trophy.
                ESPN is wrong on the 107 part come on I'm shocked you even believe that.
                Ravens have him at 187 tackles and every report say it was the most tackles he ever had in a season.

Comment

Originally posted by The Legend View Post
                  Ravens have him at 187 tackles and every report say it was the most tackles he ever had in a season.
                  tackles are really hard to judge, everyone has different stats

Comment

I can see where there's an argument but you have to consider that Marshall was basically untouchable and the Rams were the most exciting offense the league had seen in a good long time. There's no way the MVP was going to a defensive player that year.

Comment

Tackle is not an official statistic, but I'll still go by what NFL.com goes by instead of ESPN. ESPN had like 120 tackles for some DT and I know for a fact that's b/s. Anyway, NFL MVP lost it's value when Shaun Alexander "won" it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Legend View Post
                        I've confirmed the 107 tackles and 30 assisted from 4 separate reliable sources online. I can provide links if need be.

Follow Me on Twitter!
                        https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

Yeah, I'm gonna side with JBond on the tackles here. I've heard that the Ravens stat keepers have been generous with their tackles before. Especially towards Ray Lewis.
                          Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
                          RIP themaninblack

Comment

I'm not believing anybody's stats until I hear the numbers that Kickmikehass' dad came up with.

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooMonkey View Post
                              Yeah, I'm gonna side with JBond on the tackles here. I've heard that the Ravens stat keepers have been generous with their tackles before. Especially towards Ray Lewis.
                              107 thought come one! Ray Lewis back in the day did that in 11-12 games.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information