Derrick Mason retired

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Geo View Post
    I think this is overreaction. What's wrong with now? There's still some free agents available (ex. Amani Toomer), and the Ravens could go ahead and trade a 2010 pick for a player (ex. Josh Morgan, as San Fran signed Brandon Jones in the offseason and drafted Crabtree) if they so choose.
    That really wouldn't be a good example. Josh Morgan wouldn't be traded. Brandon Jones was signed in the offseason only because Bruce was still debating retirement and we didn't know that Crabtree would fall into our laps. The consensus among fans and reports are that while Jones has looked okay in camp, it was basically a wasted signing now. Morgan has showed great potential, Bruce is still decent, and Michael Crabtree is a highly touted rookie. Add that in the fact that Vernon Davis is most likely going to finally be used to a good degree (he's been catching a majority of the balls in OTA's) and there won't be that many mouths to feed so to speak. Jason Hill and Dominique Zeigler looked good as role players behind Morgan and Bruce last season as well. Jones was really not necessary. Of course we didn't know that then.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
    -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
    Originally posted by Borat
    Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
      I think this is overreaction. What's wrong with now? There's still some free agents available (ex. Amani Toomer), and the Ravens could go ahead and trade a 2010 pick for a player (ex. Josh Morgan, as San Fran signed Brandon Jones in the offseason and drafted Crabtree) if they so choose.

The worst thing to do would actually be right before the season. At least now there's still some time to work with a new addition.

And honestly, there's no timetable for this sort of thing. The man finally discovered he didn't have it in him anymore to give the game everything he has. This is an accomplished veteran who played well for many years. It happens, have some consideration for crying out loud.

PS. I am so going to draft Mark Clayton in fantasy.
      I don't fully know his reasons for retiring, but I would have to assume that he's been mulling it over for some time now. You are right that there are still some WR options for the Ravens to pursue at this point and I'm sure that if Mason had informed the Ravens that he would not be playing anymore that the Ravens would have added some WR depth in the draft. Anyone they could bring in now is most likely not going to be someone they can develop for the future.

As it is there is no rule that says when a player can and can't retire but I think his timing is very poor and leaves his former employer in a tough spot. Hence me stating that the timing of his decision was unprofessional. Would you just up and leave your job? Mason was a good player for the Ravens for many seasons but that does not excuse his action.

Comment

This is interesting because ESPN mentions that he had been asking for a new contract before this and was also in the last year of his deal. It'd have at least made sense to play the last year on his deal first, especially because he was still a quality wide receiver. I expect the Ravens to go for another wide receiver.

Comment

They can have Downtown Reggie Brown. :D

Comment

They can have Brandon for Terrell Suggs straight up.

Sig by the sigmaster BoneKrusher. Each one is a masterpiece
            Originally posted by BaLLiN72
            i wish NFLDC had something like "wall to wall" where we could see Brodeur and Job's conversations.
            Originally posted by Job
            NFLDC would be jizzing itself non-stop.

Comment

Originally posted by the decider13 View Post

I have considered that deal. IDK if it would happen

Comment

Originally posted by the decider13 View Post
                That wouldn't be half bad so there is no way it gets done. Josh McDaniels isn't smart enough to get a deal like that done.

Comment

With the timing of this, I'm willing to bet McNair's death had something to do with it.
                  Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
                  RIP themaninblack

Comment

derrick mason was so nasty.
                    we need marshall more than ever now.
                    wtf though
                    mason was the man
                    d will can do work, as well as clayton
                    but we need marshall soooooo ******* bad

Go Celtics
                    Go Irish
                    Go Ravens

Comment

This won't help the chances of Joe Flaccos ignoring a sophomore slump. Their running game and OLine will carry their offense anyways I guess.

Comment

Hello Marvin Harrison?

Comment

Originally posted by ChezPower4 View Post
                          I think Mason did the Ravens no favors by retiring now right before training camp. A very unprofessional move by a man i consider classy.
                          You can disagree with it, but unprofessional was defiantely the wrong word of choice, nothing unprofessional at all about a veteran with his resume retiring before TC starts at this point in his career.

To me the timing seems like a reaction to McNair's death, maybe he realizes he wants to start spending time with his family that he took for granted, which is perfectly fine.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                          I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

One of my favorite players. Probably my favorite player that wasn't on the Browns. Until he went to the Ravens.

Comment

why are we all assuming that he gave the organization zero notice? I can't find it in the article. He did say that he has been thinking about retirement since the end of the season, and I'd assume he ran it by the organization at that time.

I've had to watch Mason rip up the Bengals D for some time now, and I have nothing but respect for him anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by ChezPower4 View Post
                                I think Mason did the Ravens no favors by retiring now right before training camp. A very unprofessional move by a man i consider classy.
                                O'Come on. If the man wants to retire then he has the right to retire and unretire when ever he wants in my book. If the man believes he can't play the same anymore for any reason. Then its very professional of him to retire then staying with the Ravens and knowing he can't give his all. And anyone who is effected by death has the right to do what ever they want, and maybe McNair's death affected him. Thats my two cents.

Lord is right though we need Marshall so badly right now, and the Broncos know this.
                                Coordinator and Geo is right also we should bring Harrison & Toomer in and take a look at what they have left.
                                Me personally, I think we should take a look Burress. I don't think he's a team cancer. He's just a dumby with a gun.

I'm wondering who is going to play fullback when McCalin is in though. Cook is a rookie who's 230 pounds come on!
                                Last edited by The Legend; 07-14-2009, 02:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information