Pats tade for Derrick Burgess

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pats tade for Derrick Burgess

Patriots acquired OLB/DE Derrick Burgess from the Raiders in exchange for "undisclosed draft considerations."
    The Raiders were believed to be asking for a third- and a fourth-rounder, but the price may have dropped with Burgess' holdout. The talented but injury-prone veteran fills the Pats' biggest defensive need as a pass rushing presence at weak outside linebacker. He'll likely replace Pierre Woods as the expected starter while giving the Pats' defense/special teams a fantasy boost.
    http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Hea...=NFL&hl=147360

And I can't spell Trade.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
    they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
    Hint:Not the Bears.

It had been rumored for a while now, but the chatter had dropped of recently. I'm glad this got done because even if he isn't the full time starter, our depth at OLB behind Thomas was ridiculously thin even counting the unproven guys.
    Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins, Texas Longhorns

Comment

Good pick up for the Pat's. The move also helps Burgess get out of a bad situation in Oakland. Burgess is still a very talented player.

Comment

Nice pick up for the Pats. Burgess is still an effective linebacker and I think in can do well as an OLB/DE in a 3-4.
        Last edited by TACKLE; 08-06-2009, 06:13 PM.

Comment

I like it. Good move by the Pats as usual.

Comment

Freakin finally. Thank God.

#MoncriefArmy

Comment

Great move for the pats.... Again

Comment

The trade details are as follows: third round pick in 2010 as well as a fifth rounder in 2011 in exchange for Burgess.

Honestly, I won't miss him, and I don't believe the team will either. He never held a very strong presence in the locker room according to what I've read. An unmotivated Burgess wouldn't produce much better this season than even an aging vet like Ellis or the promising sophomore Scott.

Comment

That's not exactly a small trade 3rd rounder... for what 5 sacks?

Comment

Leigh Bodden was meh, but signing Shawn Springs and drafting Darius Butler was super. And now this Burgess acquisition potentially makes the Patriots scary good. I'm worried about them as a Colts fan.

Yeah we said the same thing about Jason Taylor to the Redskins last year, but this is different. The Patriots offense can actually score, which allows a pass rusher to, you know, rush the passer.
                    Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Originally posted by ChezPower4 View Post
                      Good pick up for the Pat's.
                      Not to be a total grammar nazi, but how do you get a possessive out of this sentence?

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

The Pat is the guy on the old logo. And the Patriots are his team. Hence, the Pat's.

lol
                        Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
                          That's not exactly a small trade 3rd rounder... for what 5 sacks?
                          It will very likely be a late 3rd rounder. Lets say pick #93. (This is a random # before I check)

From 2003-2007 the 93rd pick was:

2003: Chris Brown, runningback- Not a bad player. Had a 1,000 yard season but is now no longer with the team

2004: Keyaron Fox, linebacker- a decent backup player who has found a nitch in the league. No long with the Chiefs.

2005: Trai Essex, guard- still with the Steelers, but has only started four games in his career.

2006: Dominique Byrd, tight end- has done almost nothing in the league.

2007: Garrett Wolfe, runningback- basically a special teamer, although he is used sparingly in special packages.

So there you have it. 5 years and the best player is probably Chris Brown, who by any account is a very replaceable player.

We tend to get way too caught up in draft picks here. If the Pats can get 5-6 sacks for the next 2-3 years out of this deal they will have easily won.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Good trade for Oakland. Burgess is old, and gets hurt to often. He is horrible against the run and isnt on the field enough to rack up sacks. He was going to leave after this season any ways since he would be a F/A so we picked up 2 picks :D

"Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
                            @SirStackAlot707

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                              It will very likely be a late 3rd rounder. Lets say pick #93. (This is a random # before I check)

From 2003-2007 the 93rd pick was:

2003: Chris Brown, runningback- Not a bad player. Had a 1,000 yard season but is now no longer with the team

2004: Keyaron Fox, linebacker- a decent backup player who has found a nitch in the league. No long with the Chiefs.

2005: Trai Essex, guard- still with the Steelers, but has only started four games in his career.

2006: Dominique Byrd, tight end- has done almost nothing in the league.

2007: Garrett Wolfe, runningback- basically a special teamer, although he is used sparingly in special packages.

So there you have it. 5 years and the best player is probably Chris Brown, who by any account is a very replaceable player.

We tend to get way too caught up in draft picks here. If the Pats can get 5-6 sacks for the next 2-3 years out of this deal they will have easily won.
                              I remember the Garrett Wolfe pick. I loved him coming out as an experimental player, but I thought he'd be a 6th rounder. 5th rounder at best. That was a major reach right there.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information