No announcement yet.

Hester no longer returning kicks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah maybe better than those 75%, but he is not as feared as someone on his team.

Comment

Originally posted by iowatreat54 View Post
      Yes, well even with Manning returning kicks the Bears are prolly better than at least 27-28 teams' return units.

I think it is understood what the Bears are giving up in doing this, but I don't quite think anyone realizes that Manning is prolly a better KR than 75% of the kick returners out there.
      Understood. You'd be ignorant to think, however, that Hester's presence has not played into Manning's success. No one knew what to do with him a year ago. He was not previously seen at the NFL level aside from four kicks. Just like teams started to figure out Hester as a KR a year ago, began to wise up, so will coaches about Manning. I don't see him as a game changer though, and game planning for him seems a bit easier than Hester who is a threat to break one at any time, from anywhere.

I'm not coming at the Bears or Manning here. I just think the team should have kept these intentions under wraps and let deception and unpredictability play more of a role.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
      - For daily NFL draft coverage:
      www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

I can agree with that. Manning isn't going to make teams gameplan around him, which the Bears greatly benefited from with Hester. However, kicking to Manning the Bears are still going to get above average results. So, while the Bears technically are downgrading, I really don't think it will cost them much compared to the rest of the league.

Instead of not getting kick returns and starting at the 40 (I think), we will get kick returns and start at the 35ish.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePudge View Post
          Understood. You'd be ignorant to think, however, that Hester's presence has not played into Manning's success. No one knew what to do with him a year ago. He was not previously seen at the NFL level aside from four kicks. Just like teams started to figure out Hester as a KR a year ago, began to wise up, so will coaches about Manning. I don't see him as a game changer though, and game planning for him seems a bit easier than Hester who is a threat to break one at any time, from anywhere.

I'm not coming at the Bears or Manning here. I just think the team should have kept these intentions under wraps and let deception and unpredictability play more of a role.
          He stopped returning kicks mid last season. Cant really hide that.

Comment

Manning might not be as intimidating as Hester, but he made a good amount of big returns late in the season. Either Knox or Iglesias can get good experience returning kicks with Manning. Knox is faster, but Iglesias is harder to tackle.
            Hester can still make plays returning punts. That's what he's best at. He can focus on being a receiver and return punts.

Comment

besides, the coaches started to kick to him again by midseason

Comment

Originally posted by StackJaxx View Post
                wonderful choice by the bears.
                Not sure what your getting at. Hester is returning a punt in that video which we already know he's great at.

Comment

I personally like the decision. The Bears need help at WR and Hester is trying to do all he can. I also think he has some potential at WR, especially with Cutler at QB. There were multiple times last year where Hester had coverage beat and Orton launches an under or over thrown throw. If Cutler can consistently get the deep ball to Hester, the least Hester can become is a dangerous deep threat.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

Hester didn't do much as a returner last season. He averaged just 21.6 on kick returns and a terrible 6.2 on punt returns with no TDs on either.

I've said it since the beginning, he's just another Daunte Hall. People went crazy on him and said ridiculous things like he was already a hall of famer for his returning in his first two years, but that's just how it goes with the great returners. They get a couple of incredible years and then fizzle out.

If the Bears are serious about him being a WR this is a move that had to be made.

Comment

it's like Michelangelo giving up sculpting. One of the most fun things to watch in the NFL was teams stupid enough to kick to Hester, dude is probably the best returner in NFL history if he keeps it up.....Though I do understand why he's being taken off KR/PR duty and it makes sense for his future at WR. They're doing the same thing with Ginn in Miami.

Comment

One reason its hard to stay consistent is because those ST guys you work with, aren't always there year after year. Unlike defense and offense, where usually there are 1 or 2 changes to 11 man squad, helping keep it consistent and the chemistry up.

Comment

I was mildly enraged until I actually keyed in on the part about him still returning punts... I'm really indifferent to him not returning kicks.

Comment

Yeah, if he wasn't still returning punts, then it'd be a big deal.

Although, I'd much rather my team kickoff to Daniel Manning than Devin Hester. *shrugs*
                            Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
                            Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                            Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

It's a good move, Hester can be paid more, do more damage (potentially) and the team could really use a deep threat at this point.

He's a great returner, maybe even the "best", but a returner will never do as much damage as receiver of equal skill at his position.

Comment

Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
                                it's like Michelangelo giving up sculpting. One of the most fun things to watch in the NFL was teams stupid enough to kick to Hester, dude is probably the best returner in NFL history if he keeps it up.....Though I do understand why he's being taken off KR/PR duty and it makes sense for his future at WR. They're doing the same thing with Ginn in Miami.
                                people. learn. to. read.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information