Free Agent Winners and Losers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
    Exactly. The Giants cut a bunch of overpaid, often-injured veterans, and then didn't splurge in a talentless free agent pool. Who's to say that makes them losers? They recouped salary cap space and roster spots and didn't waste them on average players.
    yea but we have too many holes. I didnt really like any of the "superstar" free agents (except Clements if the price was reasonable), but I think we should sign a 3rd WR, a 3rd DT, such as Ian Scott, and an O lineman for depth (Jordan Black would fit nicely).

as you can see, no crazy signings, but we need depth

Comment

raiders are losers on losing out on the top linemen and garcia

"Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
      @SirStackAlot707

Comment

Pats they got loaded up again, and SF. We really improved our D

Comment

[homerism]I think the Jets are winners in FA, they got a very solid RB for the value of a high 3rd rounder. This gives them consistency with there running game, for Thomas Jones will get us 1200 yards. Also, we are in the running for Randy McMichael which gives us a solid option for Pennington who loves his TEs.[/homerism]

Comment

NE and KC did a nice job of addressing major needs

Comment

Originally posted by GiantRutgersFan View Post
              yea but we have too many holes. I didnt really like any of the "superstar" free agents (except Clements if the price was reasonable), but I think we should sign a 3rd WR, a 3rd DT, such as Ian Scott, and an O lineman for depth (Jordan Black would fit nicely).

as you can see, no crazy signings, but we need depth
              I have a gut feeling that we will end up with Dominic Rhodes at a very nice price, and Roderick Hood as well. Save money for next year, when FA prices probably won't be going up nearly as much and we have more cap room since people overpaid this offseason. Also don't forget we gave Shaun O'Hara a deal that looks like an absolute steal. If might have gotten close to double if he hit the open market with the contracts that are being given out.
              Last edited by Jughead10; 03-07-2007, 06:45 PM.

Comment

I do believe that the 49ers are trying to land themselves back in cap hell in the future.
                SKOL VIKINGS!

Comment

Gotta throw the titans in the loser mix so far. weve lost travis henry, bobby wade, drew bennett and will probably lose pacman before its said and done, and we are yet to sign any new players. but we resigned kerry collins!

Comment

Originally posted by diehardvikingsfan View Post
                    I do believe that the 49ers are trying to land themselves back in cap hell in the future.
                    Care to explain?

Clements contract is nowhere near 80 mil, i dont know lewis' contract but its not 10 mil guaranteed, its roster bonus. And the other 3 signings are a combined 8 mil of guaranteed $.
                    Last edited by 49ersfan_87; 03-07-2007, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by T-RICH49 View Post
                      NE and KC did a nice job of addressing major needs
                      Who did Kansas City get? I honestly don't recall hearing any moves they made (besides Huard)
                      "We're only going to score 17 points?" Brady said before chuckling about it. "OK. Is Plax playing defense? I wish he had said 45-42 and gave us a little credit for scoring more points."

Comment

Niners, Broncos

Comment

Raiders arent losers in this FA.ALot of these players are being grossly overpaid.By not going out and paying a large investment in anybody they are saving cap space.
                          "The liberator who destroys my property, is fighting to save my spirit. The teacher who clears all possessions from my path will set me free."-Tyler Durden

Comment

I'd have to go with the 49ers, even though they overpaid Nate Clements by $30 million dollars. Also, they lost out on Thomas and signed Banat-Cain instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Microphon200 View Post
                              I'd have to go with the 49ers, even though they overpaid Nate Clements by $30 million dollars. Also, they lost out on Thomas and signed Banat-Cain instead.
                              Thomas didnt want to be with SF, according to peter king.

"The only other serious contender for Thomas' services was San Francisco. Everything about the 49ers interested Thomas, except the locale. "If it was all about money,'' San Francisco coach Mike Nolan told me Saturday, "I don't think we would have been outbid. But in the process of interviewing him Friday and him talking to me, I could see that some of the things I wanted to see happen weren't going to happen. I think geography had something to do with it.''

It was clear what he meant. If the 49ers were going to pay Thomas $8 or $9 million a year -- which the 49ers may have been willing to do if, like Clements, Thomas was willing to move lock, stock and barrel to the Bay Area -- it shouldn't be too much to ask that the player becomes a member of the community. Nolan likes his players to be in the area for the 14-week offseason strength and conditioning program, beginning March 19. He can't make it mandatory, but if a free agent tells him it's a problem, that's going to be a factor.

Thomas couldn't lie to Nolan, his former Baltimore defensive coordinator. He didn't want to move West, nor did he want to leave his family 3,000 miles away for four months. Thomas, from rural Mississippi, has grown to love the energy of the East, as has his family, and Foxboro was infinitely more preferable than Santa Clara.

"There was a good bit of interest from us,'' Nolan said, "but at the end of the day, New England's a better fit for him. What he wanted -- lifestyle, family concerns, a winning franchise -- he got in New England.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200.../thomas/1.html

Comment

Originally posted by diehardvikingsfan View Post
                                "Word of caution to all fans out there: Don't believe the contract numbers being thrown around for the free agents being signed.

Here's why: They're usually pumped up by the agent.

When safety Michael Lewis signed with the 49ers over the weekend, it was reported as a deal that included $10 million in guarantees. But, according to figures obtained by CBS SportsLine.com, the deal has almost $10 million in roster bonuses -- not guarantees.

Lewis will get a roster bonus of $3.5 million this season, and then if he plays well, he'll get one $3.5 next season and $3 million in 2009. If he doesn't play well, the 49ers can cut him without paying the last two.

That reported $80 million deal for 49ers corner Nate Clements includes loads of funny money. It is a back-loaded deal with high base salary numbers that he will never see.

Clements received a $10 million signing bonus, which is good, but the last three years total $34 million in base salary. There is no way he ever plays for that kind of money.

Some of the other deals reported are as fluffy as those two. That's what agents do. They make their deals look better than they really are, but a closer look shows how false those numbers can be. "
                                http://www.sportsline.com/columns/we...entry/10030961

Edit - On a side note, Michael Smith just reported that the saints and niners are trying to trade for Darrell Jackson. Accoring to the smith, the niners are the favorites to land him, despite being in the same division. I wasn't sure if this deserved its own topic since it's a rumor.
                                Last edited by sup3rk1ng; 03-07-2007, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information