Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Justin Harrell's Career Possibly Over

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Boston View Post
    Ha, you haven't been following his career then, have you?

    The sad thing is, the guy's a beast, and he hasn't really gotten the oppurtunity to show it.
    I've never bought into this kind of argument, beasts find ways to get on the field. There's always opportunity if someone can make big plays for them to be on the field, if they don't play it's because they can't deliver.

    I'm sad to see this happen, because I agree, he had potential, but it's not like this is a huge loss for greenbay, other than losing someone who could have maybe become someone who might eventually contribute.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
      I've never bought into this kind of argument, beasts find ways to get on the field. There's always opportunity if someone can make big plays for them to be on the field, if they don't play it's because they can't deliver.

      I'm sad to see this happen, because I agree, he had potential, but it's not like this is a huge loss for greenbay, other than losing someone who could have maybe become someone who might eventually contribute.
      It was never Harrell's talent that kept him on the sidelines. It was injuries. You can't tough it out and play through a torn biceps tendon or the back issues that Harrell had. Harrell already proved his toughness in college with the bicep thing and it's clear he wants nothing more to get on the field.

      All that said, he was a top-tier athlete who projected to be a stud in the pros. We haven't got the chance to see him for any extended period so it would be unfair to make any judgments on his ability to play at the NFL-level.

      It was a big loss for Green Bay because they spent the 16th overall pick on him a few years ago and he hasn't produced anything for them. Look at a guy like Charles Rogers with the Lions. They spent the 2nd overall pick on him and he didn't do much of anything for two seasons due to injury, then he just lost his motivation to play. That was a huge loss for the Lions even though Rogers really never produced for them.

      Comment


      • #18
        I'm not discounting the fact that his injuries hurt him, I'm just saying, outside of his injuries there's not a lot of evidence to support the claims that he is someone.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
          I'm not discounting the fact that his injuries hurt him, I'm just saying, outside of his injuries there's not a lot of evidence to support the claims that he is someone.
          Perceived talent based on college career and athletic ability.

          Matthew Stafford hasn't proven anything but if he goes down with a career-ender the Lions definitely lost a "somebody". Same goes for pretty much every high draft pick.

          Comment


          • #20
            This is awful news. I had high hopes for the kid if he stayed healthy, and well, he didn't.

            Comment


            • #21
              I was a big fan of his coming out of Tennessee. He was a little bit of a reach at 16, especially to the Packers who had a lot of talent at the position at the time with Williams, Pickett, Jolly, Cole and then Jenkins could get in there sometimes too. Its a shame he never got to do anything with his career, he definitely had some kind of potential. Hopefully he can at least live a healthy pain free life away from football if he does truly retire.

              Comment


              • #22
                He was still a reach. Branch should never have fallen as far as he did. Although he hasn't exactly lit the world on fire either...

                Comment


                • #23
                  I had such high hopes for him; he had so much talent. It's a shame, because you look at guys who waste their talent on dumb things, but this isn't the case.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by CC.SD View Post
                    He was still a reach. Branch should never have fallen as far as he did. Although he hasn't exactly lit the world on fire either...
                    its pretty clear in my mind that Branch should of fallen much further than he did

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by fenikz View Post
                      its pretty clear in my mind that Branch should of fallen much further than he did
                      I agree. I wouldn't have touched Branch until the mid 3rd round.
                      Originally posted by njx9
                      i mean, why wouldn't the broncos take cam newton? they can play him at quarterback WITH tebow!

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by CC.SD View Post
                        He was still a reach. Branch should never have fallen as far as he did. Although he hasn't exactly lit the world on fire either...
                        I actually took a bet with a guy who said that Branch would have a more productive rookie year than Harrell. So far I've won 16-9 and 11-6!

                        Originally posted by Nitschke-Hawk View Post
                        Basically.
                        Way to make a prejudgement kiddo.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Justin Harrell is a great guy and it's a shame he can't stay healthy cause he would be a monster if he could. He was a beast his junior year at Tennessee and almost came out early, but decided to stay for his senior year. He was on pace to be a high first rounder until his biceps injury. But like a true warrior he played one last game even after he tore his biceps and almost helped the Vols beat Florida the year they won their first title under Meyer. There's no question in my mind that if he could play through these injuries he would be. And he'd probably be the next great Tennessee defensive tackle.
                          Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
                          RIP themaninblack

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            could the amount of weight he carries be a factor? If he would drop to 280-285 would that help, or is it something that can't be corrected that way?

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Ted Thompson today:

                              Is Justin Harrell's career in danger: "I donít think anybodyís talking in those terms. Thatís not what our guys say on the medical end. Our medical people arenít talking in those terms."

                              What are the doctors saying: "I donít know if I can get specific. In my conversations with the medical people, they donít believe itís over and done."
                              Harrell might just be getting down from being injured for the majority of his playing career. Hopefully he can get everything straightened out. Reports were that he looked good at DE in the 3-4 before this issue came up again.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by cvv84 View Post
                                Ted Thompson today:



                                Harrell might just be getting down from being injured for the majority of his playing career. Hopefully he can get everything straightened out. Reports were that he looked good at DE in the 3-4 before this issue came up again.
                                Interesting quotes...I don't think Harrell had anything to gain from talking like this, which is why I think he might retire. If nothing else he could have gone on IR and collected NFL paychecks instead of screwing himself over like this. But Thompson seems like he might bully the kid into playing.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information