Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rams agree to terms with TE McMichael

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
    Its an interesting signing, but its a wasted one. Sure he'll be used and he'll contribute, but you can't tell me he's worth more than one of the FA DEs or DBs out there.
    No, he's not worth more than one of the FA DE's out there, but that's why they decided to spend a pick and deal for James Hall instead, as they felt that his contract was worth it, because they felt that Hall on the open market would gain more. And while I think they could use another DB, it isn't a big need for them to warrant FA spending. And at the end of the day, guys are paid based upon how teams judge their values, and the Rams didn't have the needs at DE and DB to make it necessary to spend the big bucks on marginal free agent talent. I don't know how their cap breaks down, but I'm assuming they have things in order, and if that's the case, and they can afford this, then it's a fine move if they are willing to pay it. This gives them a lot of draft flexibility, with DT arguably as their only big need, allowing them to be aggressive in pushing up for one if they fear one won't get to their spot.

    Comment


    • #32
      The Rams will be able to score on anybody. Now to address that pathetic defense in the draft...

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
        I don't understand this signing. It would be a terrific signing if they had not already invested two first day picks in TE's, as Charm and bf_51 have already pointed out. Now, I don't know what they are going to do with three TE's.
        Second round pick Joe Klopfenstein isn't going anywhere. The Rams tried to use more two tight ends sets in 2006 and should continue in 2007 with McMichael and Klopfenstein. Dominique Byrd (93rd overall in 2006) and Aaron Walker will compete for the third tight end spot, assuming Byrd's future isn't already sealed with his recent DUI arrest.

        Plus, the contract the Rams signed McMichael to is hardly a big one. Three years, $11 million total with a $3 million signing bonus. It's structured well, so the Rams aren't married to Randy for the long-term.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by NGSeiler View Post
          Second round pick Joe Klopfenstein isn't going anywhere. The Rams tried to use more two tight ends sets in 2006 and should continue in 2007 with McMichael and Klopfenstein. Dominique Byrd (93rd overall in 2006) and Aaron Walker will compete for the third tight end spot, assuming Byrd's future isn't already sealed with his recent DUI arrest.

          Plus, the contract the Rams signed McMichael to is hardly a big one. Three years, $11 million total with a $3 million signing bonus. It's structured well, so the Rams aren't married to Randy for the long-term.
          If it's structured well (mainly, bulk of money in later years), then I'd say this is nothing short of a brilliant move by the Rams. Shores up an offensive area (after all, neither Byrd nor Klopfenstein would likely put up McMichael type production next year), doesn't overcommitt money, allows them to cut the cord with McMichael if Klopfenstein really develops, but even if they keep McMichael, the money likely wouldn't be too much. It'd be a superb move ... and considering how it frees up their draft, they really would have had one of the better offseasons (Hall, Bennett, McMichael - filling key needs and freeing up draft options).

          Comment


          • #35
            Where's Hawkeyefan now? He was always complaining how the Rams weren't doing anything.


            http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

            Comment


            • #36
              I'm very suprised by this, so much for the two picks from last year


              Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Shiver View Post
                The Rams will be able to score on anybody. Now to address that pathetic defense in the draft...
                Sounds very similar to the Saints... hm.
                The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

                “We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

                Comment


                • #38
                  Greatest Show On Turf 2? ;)

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Linehan sure loves his Tight Ends. Are they gonna cut Byrd now or what? Maybe they should try addressing the defense......

                    sig by BoneKrusher

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Vikes99ej View Post
                      Where's Hawkeyefan now? He was always complaining how the Rams weren't doing anything.
                      He will complain more now that they wasted money on a TE that can't catch when they need to fix the D.

                      sig by BoneKrusher

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        I like it. Bruce will belimited to about 50-60 receptions 2 tds. Bennett might be good red zone threat that may open up naturally or open up more for TE or Holt. Bennett Bruce get about 60 receptions apiece, 7-8 TDs total, Randy gets about 40 receptions, 4 tds. Holt 100 receptions, 12 tds.

                        I think its big moves for them, pick up a DT or ILB first round Willis, Okoye, Branch.

                        Love it for them.

                        The Amaradillo will take the reigns as 3rd best RB in the NFL. 2000 total yards 15 tds.

                        Bulger must under rated QB, top 5 in the NFL.
                        my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                        <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                        <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                        <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                        Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                        What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by bored of education View Post
                          I like it. Bruce will belimited to about 50-60 receptions 2 tds. Bennett might be good red zone threat that may open up naturally or open up more for TE or Holt. Bennett Bruce get about 60 receptions apiece, 7-8 TDs total, Randy gets about 40 receptions, 4 tds. Holt 100 receptions, 12 tds.

                          I think its big moves for them, pick up a DT or ILB first round Willis, Okoye, Branch.

                          Love it for them.

                          The Amaradillo will take the reigns as 3rd best RB in the NFL. 2000 total yards 15 tds.

                          Bulger must under rated QB, top 5 in the NFL.
                          Those are pretty optimistic numbers assuming you aren't being sarcastic. I don't think a team could possibly have enough plays to rack up those stats, especially with a miserable defense.

                          sig by BoneKrusher

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            That Rams offense will be very scary with having Bruce, Holt, Bennett, McMike and Jackson.

                            For Rams fans, get used to his bad blocking and dropping alot of catchable balls. You will love him sometimes and you can just hate the guy sometimes too.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Good signing. Was hoping we would sign him, but Johnson is good too :)



                              Sveen's 2015 NFL Draft Spreadsheet

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                I love the signing. Of course I wish we'd work on defense but we signed him at alot cheaper than expected and he's a potential Pro Bowl Tight End especially in the NFC.

                                As long as the Rams sign Deon Grant I'll be happy :)
                                | Hawkeyes || Rams || Lakers || Braves || Avalanche |

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information