Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most dominating Defensive Star(s) ever???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He waits......

Comment

Originally posted by YAYareaRB View Post
      He waits......

Ah yes. My favorite young LB
      Jets, Mets, Knicks, and the U's too cool for uze

Sig by, Hitman D

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
        I think the hagiography of these old players from the 70s and 80s, most of whom none of us have ever seen play, is a little ridiculous. I can tell you that twenty years from now Ray Lewis will be "the best LB of all time." Because there will be a few people pumping him up based on nostalgia and the young people will simply accept it.
        I wouldnt assume that if i were you.

Comment

Originally posted by terribletowel39 View Post
          Yea, its almost too impossible to rank them. I put Lambert ahead because of my Steeler bias. But it's not like it can't be argued. It's not that far out there.

Thing that impresses me the most, is Lambert played at around 210 lbs probably. His rookie year he weighed in almost under 200 lbs. I'm almost positive Butkus played at around 230+ atleast. Which was around the size of most linemen.
          I remember watching how Butkus was as big as most OL.. Guess it was true
          Jets, Mets, Knicks, and the U's too cool for uze

Sig by, Hitman D

Comment

Originally posted by TitleTown088 View Post
            No he's not and neither is Joe.

See that was subjective and easy.

Junior? and how just old are you wise one?
            Judging by your tone I would say older than you. :D I grew up overdosing on Junior fever.

LT and Montana in a class by themselves might be subjective, but I wouldn't consider it an unpopular opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by terribletowel39 View Post
              Yea, its almost too impossible to rank them. I put Lambert ahead because of my Steeler bias. But it's not like it can't be argued. It's not that far out there.

Thing that impresses me the most, is Lambert played at around 210 lbs probably. His rookie year he weighed in almost under 200 lbs. I'm almost positive Butkus played at around 230+ atleast. Which was around the size of most linemen.
              Butkus played at around 6-3 and 250 lbs. Which was about the size of most interior O-linemen, which ironically he was (Center+ MLB) when he played at Illinois.

Comment

I can't believe no one has mentioned the Manster, Randy White.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Jack Youngblood, either. I hated him because he gave us fits in the 70s, but he was a hell of a player.

Comment

Originally posted by FinChase View Post
                  I can't believe no one has mentioned the Manster, Randy White.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Jack Youngblood, either. I hated him because he gave us fits in the 70s, but he was a hell of a player.
                  How could we forget Randy White? Once they moved him to the DL he was All World.

I loved Youngblood playing with the broken leg, they'd be out a year if that happened nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by TitleTown088 View Post
                    While I agree, I don't think it is proper to list the study of Ray Lewis as hagiography. ha

Touche..

Honestly you cannot compare players now to the dominant players of past decades. The game was different, and our perspectives are skewed to the great players back then. We all know that Champ Bailey wasn't really a "shutdown" corner, although he was very good. Yet in ten to twenty years his performance will be exaggerated: "teams never even through to his side!"

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
                      Touche..

Honestly you cannot compare players now to the dominant players of past decades. The game was different, and our perspectives are skewed to the great players back then. We all know that Champ Bailey wasn't really a "shutdown" corner, although he was very good. Yet in ten to twenty years his performance will be exaggerated: "teams never even through to his side!"
                      +1

I think it's silly that teens or guys in their twenties will say Butkus was the best LB ever or Joe Greene was the best DT ever. Judge the guys from your era, not guys you've never seen play.

Comment

Originally posted by RaiderNation View Post
                        Nnamdi Asomugha the last 2-3 seasons....
                        DEF. NOT!

has he been good? of coarse

but Champs 05-07 years were WAY better than Nnamdi's Champ was 2nd in DMVP voting that year....

Nnamdi has never been close to winning d player of the year

Comment

When I hear this question I think of Lawrence Taylor.

Originally posted by bearsfan_51
                          Show me your Wang, if you will.

Comment

Originally posted by aNYtitan View Post
                            When I hear this question I think of Lawrence Taylor.
                            Yea LT, and Ray Lewis come to mind for me

Comment

Champ from 05-07(3 years)

230 tackles, 44 passes defended, 21 Ints, 3 TD's

Nnamdi 05-08(4 years)

184 tackles, 41 passes defended, 10 ints, 1 TD's

And in those years champ played under coyer and bates, and the broncos CB played the most man to man match ups in the NFL...i think it was like 72% man coverage....and bailey was the least targeted in those 3 years
                              Last edited by Denver Bronco56; 09-29-2009, 02:02 AM.

Comment

1. Deion Sanders

BoneKrusher

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information