Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

End the 6 weeks of Bye Weeks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • End the 6 weeks of Bye Weeks

    make it 4 weeks (save fantasy football) or 2 weeks (screw fantasy football).

    I'm just thinking of how much it must be unfun, week 17, after 13 weeks of football without a break.

    While teams that get bye-week 8 or 9, don't have such worries.

    So, start bye weeks at week 7. go to 10. 8 teams per week. week 7 only has 10 games in a row, week 10 only has 9 games in a row, 8 and 9 both have... 8 in a row. Much fairer.
    Last edited by awfullyquiet; 10-08-2009, 11:09 AM.
    http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
    For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

    United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

  • #2
    Bye weeks were invented to help create extra television revenue, not help the teams rest.

    They are world class athletes. I'm sure they're fine.

    Originally posted by Crazy_Chris
    It's just a ******* dog By Michael Vick
    Check out the Dailyer Nebraskan
    http://www.dailyernebraskan.com
    421 Witness
    756*

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by jag View Post
      Bye weeks were invented to help create extra television revenue, not help the teams rest.

      They are world class athletes. I'm sure they're fine.
      And they did. By adding ANOTHER week of football. aka week 17.

      I'm not looking at the 'their world class athletes'. I'm looking at the fairness and readiness.
      http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
      For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

      United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

      Comment


      • #4
        Very much agree. The Falcons just had their bye week in week 4 and now must play 13 (hopefully more) games in a row, while also facing 4 teams coming off of their byes. They need to make the bye weeks more in the middle of the season.

        If I remember correctly, didn't the Ravens have a really early bye week last year, before making the AFCCG? Imagine if they had rested a bit later and weren't dead tired by the time they made playoffs.

        "He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
          If I remember correctly, didn't the Ravens have a really early bye week last year, before making the AFCCG? Imagine if they had rested a bit later and weren't dead tired by the time they made playoffs.
          They still would have lost in the AFCCG. :D

          But I agree. I like the idea of middle of the season byes for everyone. You could even do it in 2 weeks. And just have half of the league off week 8 and half of the league off week 9. Then switch it the year following.


          Silverback....still the best.

          +rep to Jakey for the sig

          Comment


          • #6
            I'd like to see all teams take their bye in one week. That way no teams have to face an opponent coming off a bye when they've been playing 6 weeks in a row. The Falcons this year face the Giants, Cowboys and Redskins all coming off byes. That's some BS. Some college games or something could be played during the time slots normally taken by NFL games that week.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by terribletowel39 View Post
              They still would have lost in the AFCCG. :D

              But I agree. I like the idea of middle of the season byes for everyone. You could even do it in 2 weeks. And just have half of the league off week 8 and half of the league off week 9. Then switch it the year following.
              the problem is, those two weeks would KILL fantasy teams, and unfortunately, i don't think that's something that the NFL would like to do either.
              http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
              For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

              United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by awfullyquiet View Post
                the problem is, those two weeks would KILL fantasy teams, and unfortunately, i don't think that's something that the NFL would like to do either.
                Fantasy leagues could just have a 2 week bye. I know the NFL gets revenue based on Fantasy Football (if a person has a fantasy team, he'll watch games based on his players) but I don't like the league making rules based around a side game played by fans.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Bengalsrocket View Post
                  Fantasy leagues could just have a 2 week bye. I know the NFL gets revenue based on Fantasy Football (if a person has a fantasy team, he'll watch games based on his players) but I don't like the league making rules based around a side game played by fans.
                  I don't either. 2 weeks, albeit the best from a performance standpoint, wouldn't be bad by 4 weeks either.
                  http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
                  For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

                  United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Bengalsrocket View Post
                    Fantasy leagues could just have a 2 week bye. I know the NFL gets revenue based on Fantasy Football (if a person has a fantasy team, he'll watch games based on his players) but I don't like the league making rules based around a side game played by fans.
                    4 weeks would kind of suck for fantasy teams too. Let's be honest, the way it is run now is getting the NFL the most money. The more teams that have byes in a given week, the less fans you get watching/caring.


                    Follow Me on Twitter!
                    https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      for me, it's not totally broke, so don't fix it. it works best for the league and any reconfiguration of the schedule would cause just as many problems as they solve.

                      and, as a huge fan of NFL football, bye weeks are kind of a part of my fall winter mentality. i grow to miss not only my home team, but any team on a bye week. i feel like the football fanatic part of my brain currently is hanging a 'Welcome Back' banner for the Cardinals, Panthers, Eagles and Falcons.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        There would be too few games if every team had bye weeks within 2-4 weeks. Hell half of the league would be off if they went with two.

                        Its fine as it is now. Sure it sucks to get and early bye typically, but its not a huge deal.

                        Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Shane P. Hallam View Post
                          4 weeks would kind of suck for fantasy teams too. Let's be honest, the way it is run now is getting the NFL the most money. The more teams that have byes in a given week, the less fans you get watching/caring.
                          Nay. It's the same amount of fans every year.

                          There's only 8 games in one week, 8 games in the next week.
                          everyone gets shown 6 regional games for the 1-2 slot, SNF and MNF that week.
                          aka. a full set of football 2 weeks in a row. when you reduce the choices in teams, viewership doesn't necessarly go down. how many people don't watch football on sunday when their team isn't playing? sure, a percentage of them. you wouldn't even have to do it by division, 2 teams in each conference. bam. that way you still have some regional flavor in it as well.

                          in a 4 week structure, you'd have one team from each conference each week bump out. meaning you still only lose 1 week of vierwership one way or another.

                          if you're not going to watch football if your team isn't playing, you're not going to get revenue one way or another. so, i don't see how their losing money, when every year, one week of the year, there's a bye for that particular team. and a percentage of people don't watch.

                          insofar as fantasy? meh. 4 weeks, 8 teams don't play, which is similar to playing FFB on weeks 7-9 where 6 are on byes... again, not hard, just gives you something else to consider. when it's 2 weeks, i'd say it's much more difficult.
                          http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
                          For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

                          United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            So let's imagine the byes are all in a 2 week span. That makes 8 games a week for two weeks. I don't see how that kills fantasy football. You either a) keep playing and just have less players on the field for those weeks or B) just make that FF week last 2 weeks, therefore everybody plays and FF teams kinda have only one bye week. Heck, the NFL would probably like it since FF players would catch more games (percentage wise).

                            Am I the only one who always thinks Final Fantasy first when seeing FF somewhere?
                            Last edited by Job; 10-08-2009, 06:42 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Job View Post
                              So let's imagine the byes are all in a 2 week span. That makes 8 games a week for two weeks. I don't see how that kills fantasy football. You either a) keep playing and just have less players on the field for those weeks or B) just make that FF week last 2 weeks, therefore everybody plays and FF teams kinda have only one bye week. Heck, the NFL would probably like it since FF players would catch more games (percentage wise).

                              Am I the only one who always thinks Final Fantasy first when seeing FF somewhere?
                              Yes. Especially on a sports forum
                              Originally posted by SunTzu_22
                              Just let it go RWO.
                              We as Ravens fans are clearly scum of the earth, and should just be happy that these great people, who cheer for nothing than the finest, morally impeccable players, playing on the finest, most morally impeccable teams, will grace us with their presence, and words of wisdom.

                              John Wall
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4CbQGBbUOw

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information