Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Darren McFadden getting a pass on criticism.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
    but that doesnt lead to any conclusion about oakland
    Of course not. But it is relevant if the opening post of thread is comparing McFadden to Peterson while disregarding their respective situations. Which the OP of this thread is.

Comment

Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
      Of course not. But it is relevant if the opening post of thread is comparing McFadden to Peterson while disregarding their respective situations. Which the OP of this thread is.
      how is fargas explained then?

Comment

Originally posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
        how is fargas explained then?
        What about Fargas needs to be explained? He hasn't managed to hit 4+ YPC since 2007 and has only run for over 100 yards in a single game since then. He hasn't experienced any great amount of success while McFadden has struggled (in fact, McFadden was far more dangerous in 2008, if sporadically so).

I like Justin Fargas a lot, actually. He runs really hard and does a great job of throwing his body around for the extra yard. While McFadden is best suited for a ZBS (as is Bush, to a slightly lesser extent), Fargas is much better at creating yardage, which he needs to do in Oakland.

I'm very happy about having Fargas on the team, but I'm not sure what needs to be explained exactly.

Comment

Where is Raider Nation here?
          I am watching the replay of the 49ers-Raiders game here.

I was, and still am, expecting big things from Darren McFadden.
          What he did vs the SEC at Arkansas was spectacular. It was no mirage.

Has he just not been able to stay healthy? Was it Jamarcus Russell's fault as defenses didn't even need to cover WRs, or was/is the OL terrible?

I'm noticing here on NFL Network: 2 things. #1-Patrick Willis was in the backfield as soon as the handoff came, twice on McFadden runs. So that isn't his fault. #2-Jared Veldheer is starting? At center. Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
            What about Fargas needs to be explained? He hasn't managed to hit 4+ YPC since 2007 and has only run for over 100 yards in a single game since then. He hasn't experienced any great amount of success while McFadden has struggled (in fact, McFadden was far more dangerous in 2008, if sporadically so).

I like Justin Fargas a lot, actually. He runs really hard and does a great job of throwing his body around for the extra yard. While McFadden is best suited for a ZBS (as is Bush, to a slightly lesser extent), Fargas is much better at creating yardage, which he needs to do in Oakland.

I'm very happy about having Fargas on the team, but I'm not sure what needs to be explained exactly.
            That's something I've never thought of, but makes perfect sense. I've said before that he struggles because he's not particularly dominant in any one facet (he's not a power back, not a speed back, not overly strong or elusive, etc). His biggest asset is his ability to make a cut and explode upfield, and the ZBS would really help him take advantage of that.

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
              That's something I've never thought of, but makes perfect sense. I've said before that he struggles because he's not particularly dominant in any one facet (he's not a power back, not a speed back, not overly strong or elusive, etc). His biggest asset is his ability to make a cut and explode upfield, and the ZBS would really help him take advantage of that.
              His best single game performance to date came whilst under Lane Kiffin's newly installed ZBS (which they finally scrapped this year), way back in his rookie year of '08. The ZBS is better suited for legitimate power backs, like Fargas when he was at his peak, and once he began to show signs of slowing down unsurprisingly so did the Raiders run game, going from 5th and 10th in rushing offense in '07 and '08 to a paltry 21st rank last season.
              Last edited by 619; 08-31-2010, 11:44 AM.

Comment

lol i liked stewart, mendenhall and felix more than mcfadden, he turned out to be exactly what most people thought he would be.....a fast guy that goes down on contact.

he wasnt nearly adrian peterson, he wasnt even nearly reggie bush. at least bush was a tremendous receiver since day one. and peterson comparisons are just silly, peterson might get dinged up but the man is made of raw steel.

not saying i hated mcfadden as a prospect, but i didnt think he was top 10 worthy. a good friend of mine had him as his 9th best RB that year, i wasnt quite THAT down on him since he was my 4th but not being able to stay on the field has made all the criticisms of him pretty accurate.

he can throw a pretty ball though, maybe they could try that out lol
                E]

Comment

Originally posted by K Train View Post
                  lol i liked stewart, mendenhall and felix more than mcfadden, he turned out to be exactly what most people thought he would be.....a fast guy that goes down on contact.

he wasnt nearly adrian peterson, he wasnt even nearly reggie bush. at least bush was a tremendous receiver since day one. and peterson comparisons are just silly, peterson might get dinged up but the man is made of raw steel.

not saying i hated mcfadden as a prospect, but i didnt think he was top 10 worthy. a good friend of mine had him as his 9th best RB that year, i wasnt quite THAT down on him since he was my 4th but not being able to stay on the field has made all the criticisms of him pretty accurate.

he can throw a pretty ball though, maybe they could try that out lol
                  Rule #1 for drafting runningbacks: if his arms are bigger than his legs, take a pass for at least a round or two.

Comment

is it sad I saw this thread bumped and I was subscribed to it and I thought "it's no doubt me talking about Ray Rice".
                    i'm so ******* predictable.
                    We ALL bleed scarlet
                    New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
                    UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
                    Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
                    BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

McFadden is a tremendous down-the-field weapon as a receiver, whereas Bush is a better receiver behind the LOS. That's about the only facet of McFadden's game that I've been extremely pleased with, as I don't recall him being used that way in the "Wild Hog" offense.

Comment

He has pretty much been a bust, he could still turn it around but it hasn't been pretty so far.

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                          He trucks the **** out of people and he ran in the 4.3s.... not fast or powerful? what?

If he gets daylight hes gone.

Comment

Originally posted by CDCB14 View Post
                            He trucks the **** out of people and he ran in the 4.3s.... not fast or powerful? what?

If he gets daylight hes gone.
                            he goes down instantly on contact. if he "trucks the **** out of someone" thats showing that hes not afraid to get dirty (despite always being injured), but i have yet to see him actually steam roll someone in the pros.

hes fast but he is by no means powerful
                            E]

Comment

I still see the ability/talent there for him to be a star, but on the right team and in the right system.

If they had Carolina's OL, I think McFadden & Bush could rival DeAngelo & Stewart. Or am I overrating Bush & McFadden? I have seen some greatness in each guy, just not enough which I believe is due to the offense/OL/QB.

Comment

He does have a filthy stiffarm, I'll give him that, but in my two years of watching him I have NEVER seen him "truck the **** out of people".

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information