Bob Sanders injured...again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Sanders injured...again

According to PFT, Bob Sanders missed practice today with an elbow injury after finally playing in a game last week. I assume he'll be listed as questionable for the game this week, but that's just speculation on my part. This guy has to be the least durable star in the league, although I'm not sure the term star is fitting for a guy who plays in seven or eight games a year. Out of 87 potential games in his career, Sanders has played in 47, or 54% of potential games. Rodney Harrison, regarded as one of the most injury-prone players in the league over his last few seasons (a fact which I won't dispute - it seemed like there was always some season ending injury) played in 54 of his last 87 games, almost a half-season more than Sanders has. What do you guys think will end up coming of this? Also, how do these repeated injuries affect his reputation as a player?

Personally, I don't deny that Sanders is a big impact player for the Colts when he's healthy, but I think these injuries are getting crazy. Sanders has a $37.5 million deal (signed midway through the 2007 season and locking him up until after the 2012 season), but I just can't see a player worth about a million dollars a game unless we're talking about a Hall of Fame quarterback like Brady or Manning. An injured player is useless to a team on game day, and unless Sanders gets onto the field for some full seasons, in my opinion he's not worth his All-Pro reputation.

Source: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-a-new-injury/

Originally posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
    According to PFT, Bob Sanders missed practice today with an elbow injury after finally playing in a game last week. I assume he'll be listed as questionable for the game this week, but that's just speculation on my part. This guy has to be the least durable star in the league, although I'm not sure the term star is fitting for a guy who plays in seven or eight games a year. Out of 87 potential games in his career, Sanders has played in 47, or 54% of potential games. Rodney Harrison, regarded as one of the most injury-prone players in the league over his last few seasons (a fact which I won't dispute - it seemed like there was always some season ending injury) played in 54 of his last 87 games, almost a half-season more than Sanders has. What do you guys think will end up coming of this? Also, how do these repeated injuries affect his reputation as a player?

Personally, I don't deny that Sanders is a big impact player for the Colts when he's healthy, but I think these injuries are getting crazy. Sanders has a $37.5 million deal (signed midway through the 2007 season and locking him up until after the 2012 season), but I just can't see a player worth about a million dollars a game unless we're talking about a Hall of Fame quarterback like Brady or Manning. An injured player is useless to a team on game day, and unless Sanders gets onto the field for some full seasons, in my opinion he's not worth his All-Pro reputation.

Source: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-a-new-injury/
    I completely agree with you. I can't think of anybody who is as injury prone as him.

Comment

The days of him being probably the best small defensive player is over. He was as good a defensive player when healthy, probably a notch or two below Polamalu and Reed when comparing peeks, but still real good. They could cut him this offseason and not be penalized, which with that monster contract, I could see happening.

Originally posted by bearsfan_51
      Show me your Wang, if you will.

Comment

Originally posted by aNYtitan View Post
        The days of him being probably the best small defensive player is over. He was as good a defensive player when healthy, probably a notch or two below Polamalu and Reed when comparing peeks, but still real good. They could cut him this offseason and not be penalized, which with that monster contract, I could see happening.
        Interesting. I don't know if I could see him getting cut straight up, but maybe sort of like what happened with LaDainian Tomlinson last year where the Chargers basically told him to take a pay cut or take a hike. That seems a little more likely to me, especially if he misses more games this year. At this rate, I'd be surprised if they didn't try to get some money back or anything though.

Comment

You just cannot play like that, utterly reckless, and expect to stay healthy. What makes him a great player is also what makes him an injured player.

Comment

Will Eric Berry have these injury issues as well?

Comment

Originally posted by JeffSamardzijaIRISH View Post
              Only if he goes to the Chiefs since I'm doomed as a fan.

Comment

Originally posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
                Interesting. I don't know if I could see him getting cut straight up, but maybe sort of like what happened with LaDainian Tomlinson last year where the Chargers basically told him to take a pay cut or take a hike. That seems a little more likely to me, especially if he misses more games this year. At this rate, I'd be surprised if they didn't try to get some money back or anything though.
                I think its possible he walks away. I mean he has a good report with the Colts, but I could see him going out and saying, I'm going to try and show that these Colts made a mistake, while finding more money.
                Too early to say. Berry has yet to play a down, similar styles, but Berry is already bigger then Sanders at a much younger age. I think he bulks up a bit as he grows, probably avoiding the injuries.

Comment

One thing is for sure and that is that Tim Tebow will never get injured.

Comment

Its really a shame. His a great player when he is on the field but he can never stay on the field.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                    Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy

Comment

Bob Sanders is only owed 2 million next year. There is no way they force him to take less or leave. The guy is injury prone, but 2 million is worth the gamble for a guy like him. Luckily the Colts have Melvin Bullitt, who has proven to be very capable in Bob's absence.

I doubt his elbow injury is anything serious, he'll probably play Sunday. It's probably just precautionary.

Comment

I completely agree. He was a great player, but his body just hasn't been able to hold due to his intense, physical style of play.

BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by tylerb929 View Post
                          Bob Sanders is only owed 2 million next year. There is no way they force him to take less or leave. The guy is injury prone, but 2 million is worth the gamble for a guy like him. Luckily the Colts have Melvin Bullitt, who has proven to be very capable in Bob's absence.

I doubt his elbow injury is anything serious, he'll probably play Sunday. It's probably just precautionary.
                          Maybe trade him then? I mean its a small price for a gamble, but if you can get something like a second rounder (I could see it happening for Sanders), would you do it?

Comment

Maybe trade him then? I mean its a small price for a gamble, but if you can get something like a second rounder (I could see it happening for Sanders), would you do it?
                            Well, at this point, its pretty hard to tell Bullitt he has to sit on the bench because Bob is going to play. Bullitt is out there, playing his hardest, doing everything he can for the team, including special teams.

Sanders is no longer what he was, it used to be, he was in the defense was great, he was out and they sucked. As of recently, they've shown they can be good without him (they've allowed the fewest points per game this season, mainly without Sanders). Right now, Freeney is the only irreplaceable player on the defense.

There is no way they cut him, this year or next. The money owed to him is so little, he's worth the risk. After next year, the contract starts to increase, and then the cut/renegotiate could be an option, but until then he's worth the $2 million a year even if he plays only 8 games (hopefully in the playoffs).

Trading him could be a possibility, but I think it'd take more than a second. Sanders was a second and its hard to imagine getting a better player for a second. Obviously they can't trade him this season, so maybe his stock will go up or he'll reprove himself. But it'd probably take a first, or a second and some to get him. Don't know if they'd trade for a player, but with Polian the picks are probably just as good.

Really this elbow injury just sounds like an excuse to give him some rest, I'd guess he plays against the Texans. If it said "knee" I'd be concerned, but he's never had an elbow problem in the past and I can't imagine a defensive back couldn't play with a cast on if the elbow is in pain.

Comment

Originally posted by tylerb929 View Post
                              Well, at this point, its pretty hard to tell Bullitt he has to sit on the bench because Bob is going to play. Bullitt is out there, playing his hardest, doing everything he can for the team, including special teams.

Sanders is no longer what he was, it used to be, he was in the defense was great, he was out and they sucked. As of recently, they've shown they can be good without him (they've allowed the fewest points per game this season, mainly without Sanders). Right now, Freeney is the only irreplaceable player on the defense.

There is no way they cut him, this year or next. The money owed to him is so little, he's worth the risk. After next year, the contract starts to increase, and then the cut/renegotiate could be an option, but until then he's worth the $2 million a year even if he plays only 8 games (hopefully in the playoffs).

Trading him could be a possibility, but I think it'd take more than a second. Sanders was a second and its hard to imagine getting a better player for a second. Obviously they can't trade him this season, so maybe his stock will go up or he'll reprove himself. But it'd probably take a first, or a second and some to get him. Don't know if they'd trade for a player, but with Polian the picks are probably just as good.

Really this elbow injury just sounds like an excuse to give him some rest, I'd guess he plays against the Texans. If it said "knee" I'd be concerned, but he's never had an elbow problem in the past and I can't imagine a defensive back couldn't play with a cast on if the elbow is in pain.
                              No one decides to give up firsts for franchise players (can't even recall the last player to be signed that was franchise tagged) and you think that an oft injured player will get one? Doubtful

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information