4th and 2: Belichick's Call

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by no bare feet View Post
    I did notice Brady vehemently pleading to Bill to go for it after the 3rd down play. I almost forgot about that. So who's call was it really? Too much faith in the QB, did Tom see something?
    Ultimately it was Bill's call, but he trusted his QB. Damn ballsy move though.

Belichick should've known better though. Parcells would've punted and told his QB to shut up and sit on the bench.

Comment

I don't think it was a bad call. Honestly, do you trust Brady to get you 2 yards or your defense to stop Manning?

I disagree more with the play call than the decision to go for it. No runningback in the backfield? Atleast make them have to defend the potential for a run.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

Comment

I think it was right the call. The Pat's offense is by far the superior unit compared to their defense. The percentage of picking up the 4th and 2 is probably higher than the defense stopping Manning from going 70 yards in 2 minutes with 2 timeouts. He might have had all 3, I forget.

In my opinion, if they punt, there is no doubt in my mind Peyton drives the field and scores leaving the Pats with no time. I also think Bill thought if they didn't pick up the 4th down, Peyton would have scored quickly enough to leave them another chance with the ball. That didn't happen though.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
          I'm not surprised that the Patriots did not show any class in the loss.
          I don't think anyone is. That team doesn't show any class in anything they do.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

Comment

I would've punted, but I get why he made the call. The Pats D was gassed and not stopping the Colts offense. However, it didn't work, so it was a bad call. Hindsight is a *****.

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
              I would have punted, but I see why he went for it, and certainly wouldn't oppose to the call if I were a Pats fan.
              Yes I agree 100%.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
              -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
              Originally posted by Borat
              Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

You play to win the game; you do not play to not lose. I love the call.

Comment

I think the biggest mistake was not letting Addai score that TD after they missed the 4th down. That would have left them about 1:30 I think, more than enough time for Brady to drive for a FG.

I don't have a problem with the play call there...but when you miss it, you have to let the Colts score quickly so you can get it back. That should've been part of the strategy going into the 4th down call.

Comment

I think it is the perfect call. If the 1st down is made everyone thinks BB is a genious. Since they didn't get it the decision is in question. IMO it was a first down but the refs always screw up and that is why you have to save a timeout for challenge. Great game.
                    Originally posted by SunTzu_22
                    Just let it go RWO.
                    We as Ravens fans are clearly scum of the earth, and should just be happy that these great people, who cheer for nothing than the finest, morally impeccable players, playing on the finest, most morally impeccable teams, will grace us with their presence, and words of wisdom.

John Wall
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4CbQGBbUOw

Comment

Originally posted by 2 Live Crew View Post
                      I think the biggest mistake was not letting Addai score that TD after they missed the 4th down. That would have left them about 1:30 I think, more than enough time for Brady to drive for a FG.

I don't have a problem with the play call there...but when you miss it, you have to let the Colts score quickly so you can get it back. That should've been part of the strategy going into the 4th down call.
                      Agreed about this. I think Bill thought the worst case scenario would be Peyton gets the ball and scores and we have time left to try and win the game. With the Pats offense they could have done that easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
                        I think it was right the call. The Pat's offense is by far the superior unit compared to their defense. The percentage of picking up the 4th and 2 is probably higher than the defense stopping Manning from going 70 yards in 2 minutes with 2 timeouts. He might have had all 3, I forget.

In my opinion, if they punt, there is no doubt in my mind Peyton drives the field and scores leaving the Pats with no time. I also think Bill thought if they didn't pick up the 4th down, Peyton would have scored quickly enough to leave them another chance with the ball. That didn't happen though.

It wasn't the right call. I don't care if you have the Sisters of the Blind as your defense, if you have a 6 point lead there is no such thing as going for it on 4th down from your own 28 yard line. This is BB taking a dump on the D that he built and oversees, and it's got a serious chance of having long term repercussions not just in the playoff standings, but in how these guys play for him from here on out.

Comment

Originally posted by TitleTown088 View Post
                          Yo Bill, maybe you could trust your defense more if you wouldn't have traded back instead of taking Clay Matthews. Thanks bro. :)
                          And many other solid prospects at LB/DE. "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to TitleTown088 again." :( lol

Originally posted by no bare feet View Post
                          I did notice Brady vehemently pleading to Bill to go for it after the 3rd down play. I almost forgot about that. So who's call was it really? Too much faith in the QB, did Tom see something?
                          Either way the play was right and should have worked, but for a bobble.
                          The more important point, imo was:
                          Originally posted by 2 Live Crew View Post

. . . poor clock management. With no timeouts to challenge or prevent the Colts from running out the clock it was a terrible decision. The ability to stop the clock and save time for the offense in the event of a Colts score was paramount, and BB failed to account for that.

While I completely understand the support BB receives for making the "ballsy" decision, it was stupid in this instance.

Give the D a chance with Peyton basically forced to pass for 70-80 yards, rather than turn the ball over at the 30 and allow the Colts to use their entire playbook and beat you running the ball.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

lol

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

Originally posted by CC.SD View Post
                              It wasn't the right call. I don't care if you have the Sisters of the Blind as your defense, if you have a 6 point lead there is no such thing as going for it on 4th down from your own 28 yard line. This is BB taking a dump on the D that he built and oversees, and it's got a serious chance of having long term repercussions not just in the playoff standings, but in how these guys play for him from here on out.
                              Exactly. If you can count on your defense in that spot you might as well pack it up because you threw the whole unit under the bus. Also, by giving more opportunities to the Colts offense it creates a chance that there is a turnover or a mistake by one of the Colts young WR's. You also have the possibility of bad clock management which could result in a hurried or flustered offense. If the Pats were on the 50 I'd understand the decision better but this was just a big mistake.
                              #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by CC.SD View Post
                                Oh it is him telling the D that he didn't have faith in them there. But regardless it still gave him the better chance to win that game. He has another 6 or 7 weeks to build his D's confidence back up. He can sleepwalk into the playoffs right now with a shaky D. He was trying to get the number 1 seed last night. With that out of the window he can just sleepwalk now.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information