Best Defense in the League?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Defense in the League?

Thought it was an interesting question because the Top 3-5 are all so close statistically. These 5 teams are 1st in a few other defensive categories as well.

Top 5 in YPG allowed:
    1) Green Bay Packers - 273.5
    2) New York Jets - 276.4
    3) Denver Broncos - 288.9
    4) Cincinnati Bengals - 293.2
    5) Pittsburgh Steelers - 294.1

there is no really dominant defense this year like the last few years. some have played good, but not a single defense like a ravens or steelers defense the last year, that id say would just take over a game.

Comment

I would rather look at PPG then YPG.

Comment

I was going to put up the Top 5 in a few categories but I figured it was easier to just get it going with YPG. Here's Top 5 PPG:

1) Cincinnati Bengals - 15.6
        2) Indianapolis Colts - 16.8
        3) Denver Broncos - 16.8
        4) New York Jets - 17.3
        5) Dallas Cowboys - 17.8

Comment

Meh, PPG relies too much on the special teams play, and when your teams 'special' teams takes on a completely different meaning, you can't blame the defense.

I'd say something like yards per play and third down percentage would be a good indicator of how good a defense is.

Hitman D

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I agree PPG is overrated. Look at a team like the Jets who have given an obscene amount of non-defensive TD's via Sanchez and the kickoff team.

Comment

How can PPG be overrated win the whole point is to score as many points as you can and stop the other team from scoring?

Comment

Broncos D is realllly good when they're fresh. But if the offense is struggling to move the ball, they get exposed because they're older than most, it seems, and not as deep.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                Originally posted by njx9
                do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

Gotta look at turnovers forced as well. So many variables. I'd be interested in seeing the yards per play and third down percentage stats.

It's cool seeing the Packers as the number 1 defense when it comes to YPG but in our 4 losses, on average, we give up just under 350 PPG. Not exactly stellar.

I'd do the math on how well we did against the top offenses we've faced this year if I had the time.

We've lost to the Vikings twice (#5 offense in YPG), the Bengals (#18), and the Bucs (#27) but beat the Cowboys (#3). So I don't think it's about playing up, or down, to your competition but hitting your stride at the right time.

Comment

Originally posted by Splat View Post
                    How can PPG be overrated win the whole point is to score as many points as you can and stop the other team from scoring?
                    Let me rephrase, PPG shouldnt be talked about over YPG in terms of defense like you said. I think it is important, but as Boston said above there are other factors that lead to the PPG total that a defense can't do anything about.

Comment

Does it matter, the top 5 offensive teams this year are 41-8 according to Pat Kirwin, the top 5 defensive teams are 32-24. Defense doesn't mean as much as it used to mean.
                      And proud of it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
                        Does it matter, the top 5 offensive teams this year are 41-8 according to Pat Kirwin, the top 5 defensive teams are 32-24. Defense doesn't mean as much as it used to mean.
                        Much has changed since last year where the top defense won the Superbowl

You're using one statistic in one season that's not over yet and trying to correlate that to being NFL dogma

If a defensive team wins the Superbowl, then what?

Absolutely ********
                        Last edited by wonderbredd24; 12-11-2009, 09:42 PM.

Comment

I miss being able to throw the Ravens in this discussion thanks to this man...

Comment

Originally posted by msolimani View Post
                            Let me rephrase, PPG shouldnt be talked about over YPG in terms of defense like you said. I think it is important, but as Boston said above there are other factors that lead to the PPG total that a defense can't do anything about.
                            There are also factors that lead to YPG too. What about when a team racks up a bunch of meaningless yards at the end of the game when the other team is in prevent defense at that point? There are factors on both sides of the argument either way you want to look at it.

I'd rather look at both categories and see how a team fares in both to get an idea of how good a defense really is. Still, I'd rather hold a team to as few points as possible then I would be concerned about not alot of yardage. You can lose a game holding a team to under 200 yards total if they run back INT's for TD's, special teams TD's, defensive scores etc, but keeping teams under 16 points a game is a great recipe to have a chance to win every week.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                            I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

I know this is going to come off as being a huge homer but here's the Bengals.

PPG - 1st
                              YPG - 4th
                              Rushing YPG - 1st
                              Passing YPG - 12th
                              3rd Down % - 1st
                              Pass Defenses - 1st
                              Sacks - T-10th
                              INT's - T-6th

Now, Peko is out probably until the season finale so I'm definitely concerned with how that is going to work out. He's the absolute key to the good run D. I'm afraid Peterson is going to have a game this Sunday.

We're sitting at 9-3 and it's not because of the offense. A lot also has to do with the Ravens/Patriots/Steelers defenses regressing this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information