Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone here think the Saints are really the best team in the NFC?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone here think the Saints are really the best team in the NFC?

Because I don't think they are, I think it is arguable that three or maybe even four teams in the NFC would beat New Orleans if they played right now. I have never seen a team that resembled a paper tiger more than this Saints' team. It is a combination of smoke and mirrors, voodoo, whatever. It is true that a lot of the arguments I am going to make could apply to the Colts as well; in this way these two teams remind me of Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale in The Prestige, a battle as to which illusionist can pull off the more convincing trick.

Let's look at the Saints' schedule, first and foremost:

beat the Lions 47-25 (Matt Stafford's first start)
    beat the Eagles 48-22 (Kevin Kolb's first start)
    beat the Bills 27-7
    beat the Jets 24-10

By the bye week so far so good. Not too much of a challenge. No marquee wins per say, but dominance. Now is where things become unhinged.

beat the Giants 48-27 (doesn't look as impressive now as it once did does it?)
    beat the Dolphins 46-34
    beat the Falcons 35-27
    beat the Panthers 30-20
    beat the Rams 28-23

beat the Bucs 38-7
    beat the Patriots 38-17 (now this was a big time win)
    beat the Redskins 33-30
    beat the Falcons 26-23

The games in bold are games they arguably should have lost. In all of the games they were behind or tied at a critical point in the game, and all of these games were against teams that will not be in the playoffs. They have eluded defeat. That is a hallmark of a good team right? True, but can they keep this momentum up against Minnesota, Philadelphia, Arizona or Green Bay? I have a lot of skepticism that they can beat any of those teams. The Saints defense is terrible, they couldn't stop Chris Redman and Jason Campbell at all. Will they be able to slow Favre, Rodgers, Warner or McNabb?

In the first half of the season this Saints' team was 'different' from previous teams that they've had because they had defense and a running game. Both important components have vanished in the second half of the season. Teams will be able to slow Brees in the playoffs, so the onus will be on the run and defense to bail them out ala the 2006 Colts. I wouldn't put my money on it.

I buy this more for Indy than NO, but that's just because I annually expect the Colts to lose in the first round of the playoffs.

Comment

good teams find ways to win. doesnt matter if its by 3 points or 20 points in my book. when a team is undefeated at this point in the season the only way you can possible put another team ahead of them is if they were also undefeated. until they lose a game they are the best the nfc has.

Comment

Like the Pats, they have weaknesses that can be exploited.

The Giants were the perfect team to exploit the Pats. The Saints are an unbelievable team, but they can be had just like any other team.

It remains to be seen if they will match up against anybody who can exploit them.

They are vulnerable to a good rushing offense, and if you can stop the run with 7 and rush the passer with 4, you can take on their offense.

I think Minny could possibly be the team that matches up with them.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
          I think Minny could possibly be the team that matches up with them.
          I can see how you can think Minny's offense would have some success on the Saints D. However, Brees would absolutely tear Minny's secondary apart, repeatedly.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
          they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
          Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

Originally posted by TitleTown088 View Post
            I can see how you can think Minny's offense would have some success on the Saints D. However, Brees would absolutely tear Minny's secondary apart, repeatedly.
            Pass rush, pass rush, pass rush.

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
              Saints Tackles can handle it.

The pass rush sacked Rodgers 8 times and he still managed to throw for 380+ yards and a couple TDs. Minnesota's secondary is not good.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
              they get smoked.

Comment

I knew this thread would pop up after their recent struggles against teams they really should have dusted. The team is probably just tired and feeling the weight of a perfect record: something I think the Colts are just so used to at this point that it's not as obvious. I think a loss would probably do the Saints some good and think a desperate Dallas team could deliver it.

I actually like their matchup vs. the Vikings more than some of the other NFC teams. They will have to watch out for Philly and AZ more than the Vikings in my opinion, because those are the games where the ball will be flying around and the turnover differential will decide the game. That's the 'any given Sunday' factor. Throw in the fact that they are not exactly playoff hardened and I'm having trouble picking them for the Super Bowl, although they obviously have a ton of respect.

Comment

All of the Saints close calls have been in road games, though, and they'll clinch home field here soon. Brees is just deathly accurate in the Superdome and the crowd helps the defense force turnovers. If they were going to play a cold weather game in the playoffs I could see it, but they won't.

Sidenote: Does anyone else see Favre vs. Green Bay III in the second round... and the Packers pulling it off? I can see that. That would really make for an interesting offseason for Favre (again).
                  aka KGB Chicken

Comment

The Saints should not be undefeated right now. I'm not sure if anyone really debates that. You can't say they should lose every close game they've been in, but I think you could legitimately argue they should have 3-4 losses right now. That still makes them one of the better teams in the NFC

I do think they're going down to any team that's worth half a damn that manages not to turn the ball over a ton. The problem is that they aren't going to run into any of those until the playoffs

Comment

I forgot about Arizona.

Arizona might be their achilles heal.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                        I forgot about Arizona.

Arizona might be their achilles heal.
                        I was thinking Arizona as well. Their defensive backfield has the playmakers in it to give the Saints problems and we all know the points that Arizona's offense can put up.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Originally posted by San Diego Chicken View Post
                          Sidenote: Does anyone else see Favre vs. Green Bay III in the second round... and the Packers pulling it off? I can see that. That would really make for an interesting offseason for Favre (again).
                          I'm not sure the Packers could pull that off in the dome, but destiny seems to say that the game will at least occur.

they get smoked.

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                            The Saints are 30th in allowing sacks (15 all season) and in QB hits (41 all season).

I think we would match up well with the Vikings, better if the Saints have Tracy Porter, Jabari Greer, and Scott Fujita back. In all honesty, the team that I think would give us the most fits would be the Arizona Cardinals. On offense they have explosive, big, physical wide receivers that can stretch the field and they also possess a decent running game to keep us honest in case we drop too many guys back in coverage.
                            Their defense is capable of completely bottling up the run and I think their secondary could match up with our wide receivers.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                            WHO DAT!

Comment

I think it is funny that Arizona is arguably better than they were last year and no one talks about them. They have deadly potential in the playoffs.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information