Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Holmgren

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...age-to-lerner/

Amid multiple reports that former Packers and Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren is meeting with the Browns, Chris Mortensen of ESPN offers up a nugget that could, as a practical matter, limit Holmgren's options.

Per Mort, Holmgren "hopes to have his future clarified and secured by Christmas."

So with the only current G.M. vacancies in Cleveland and Seattle and the only open coaching job in Buffalo, there aren't many places where the Big Show will raise the curtain.

Word is he's gonna settle into the GM position in Cleveland. If he does, it's probably good news for Mangina.

Comment

here comes the copycat of the Dolphins phase II. first it was the wildcat, now it's trying to find the next Bill Parcells to run the front office.

Comment

I like Holmgren as a HC but if I were a Browns fan I would be thinking why the Packers didn't give him the GM/HC title when he was there and why the Seahawks took away the GM title from him a few years ago.

Comment

Pleeeaase take him so we don't have to talk about him in Seattle anymore Browns pleeeeeaaaase.

Comment

Mike Holmgren would do well in Cleveland.

sig by fenikz
            Originally posted by ImBrotherCain
            You are just a terrible person.
            Originally posted by bigbluedefense
            I have an iPhone.

Comment

Originally posted by cvv84 View Post
              I like Holmgren as a HC but if I were a Browns fan I would be thinking why the Packers didn't give him the GM/HC title when he was there and why the Seahawks took away the GM title from him a few years ago.
              that question has come up a lot in browns-dom lately....but I think the issue was being GM and HC at the same time was too much, but being only one or the other won't be as hard. It's more about recognizing how to build a winning team than it will be about recognizing talent in the draft like it was with Phil Savage. I think there's gonna be a guy under Mike with that responsibility.

Comment

If Mike is there, I think thats trouble for Mangini.

GMs almost always want their own guys running the show. Holmgren has no affiliation with Mangini, never worked with him or anything.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Mangini era is cut short if Holmgren takes this job.

Comment

I wonder what Holmgren would do at QB in Cleveland.

Remember, he didn't draft any good QBs in Seattle- he acquired Hasselbeck in a trade for a sixth round pick because he was familiar with him.
                  "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                    If Mike is there, I think thats trouble for Mangini.

GMs almost always want their own guys running the show. Holmgren has no affiliation with Mangini, never worked with him or anything.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Mangini era is cut short if Holmgren takes this job.
                    I agree. There would definetly be a personality conflict there and in all honestly I was shocked when the Browns hired Mangini considering he did jack in NY and the players hated him.

I wish the Browns good luck though. They have a long ways to go and the constant turnover in staff isn't helping. I think they should switch back to the 4-3, dump Anderson, and focus on getting some weapons around Quinn.

Comment

Originally posted by gpngc View Post

Remember, he didn't draft any good QBs in Seattle- he acquired Hasselbeck in a trade for a sixth round pick because he was familiar with him.
                      But wasn't he familiar with him because he coached him up from a 6th round rookie in Green Bay? He's still their QB, he didn't exactly need to draft another one in Seattle.

Comment

Originally posted by gpngc View Post

I think he'd go with Quinn. He's on record as saying he doesnt agree with drafting underclass QBs so i think they'd go with Brady.

Comment

Holmgren would be good for Quinn. His track record with qbs speaks for itself.

If Mangini is let go, his coaching career may be over. And even finding a coordinator job would be tough for him, he's burned most of his bridges with Bellichick's coaching tree, and many coaches would be careful to hire him bc he's supposedly a "snitch"

Comment

I think I heard somewhere that Holmgren was in the camp that thinks Quinn is gonna be a good QB and is a great fit in the WCO. Then against new regimes usually mean new QBs when there isn't a good QB already in place, so who knows. I think it spells the end for Mangini eventually, though I don't think necessarily that they would fire him before the 2010 season.

Comment

I think more importantly Mike would be able to draft AROUND the QB position instead of trying to go through it. This is the biggest problem with the Browns, our talent outside the QB position.

I am comfortable with about half of our players on offense, them being.

TE - Evan Moore (Came out of no where, has glue for hands and great intensity.)

WR - Massaquoi (I would like him to be more of a #2 though)

FB - Vickers

LT - Joe Thomas

LG - Steinbach

C - Mack

So 6 of the 11 are okay, but we have an abysmal right side of the line, no true #1 receiver, a ? at running back and uncertainty at the biggest position in the game (qb).

Defense obviously needs some work as well considering were dead last.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information