No announcement yet.

Top 5 disappointments from 09 Draft?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't blame him if that's the case. The media is doing the same exact thing. It's ridiculous. I laughed so hard when Joe Theisman was evaluating Sanchez on his whopping 12 completion less than 200 yard day and he said...

"WOW!!! Look at THAT passer rating!!!"

Horrible.

My top 5 disappointments (not blaming anything, just acknowledging disappointment)...

1. Jason Smith
    2. Andre Smith
    3. Darrius Heyward-Bey
    4. Aaron Maybin
    5. Donald Brown
    Last edited by phlysac; 01-10-2010, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Maybin barely saw the field with Schobel having a great bounce back year. We pretty much just rolled Schobel, Kelsay, with Denney coming in on either side. So still no impact from Chris Ellis or Maybin.

He made some tackles down the field a little more, didn't do much as a pass rusher. Had some lapses lining up, but I think Bills fans remember that instance more than they should. I didn't expect much from him this year, but I still hate the pick. Schobel talking about retirement has me ******** my pants.

Comment

It was a damn strong 1st round draft class. The only guy who really disapointed me was Aaron Curry. I guess I kind of expected guys like Aaron Maybin, DHB, Robert Ayers, and Peria Jerry to be disapointments though.

Comment

Originally posted by slightlyabroncosfan View Post
          1. Moreno
          2. Ayers
          3. Alphonso Smith
          I never understood the Ayers hype. Yeah he had a great week in Mobile and the combine, but he was never that productive, and it seems like he's without a true position in Denver.

Buffalo has to be kicking themselves for picking Maybin. Granted, I think almost everybody knew he'd need a year or 2 to get his weight up, but Orakpo and Cushing being picked right after doesn't help.

I'd have to think Malcolm Jenkins was a bit of a disappointment for NO

Comment

I wasnt happy with the Aaron Curry pick at the time because i think an OT would have made more sense for Seattle. I think he'll be ok though but guys like Orakpo, Cushing and Matthews were much better.

DHB has to be the biggest stinker so far. Of course it would help to have a QB to throw it somewhere near the receiver.

Aaron Maybin had sort of like a redshirt year so the jury i think is still out. Has he sent part of his paycheck to Todd McShay for hyping him unmercifully?

Comment

Originally posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
              On what basis? Cassel was a better player than Mark Sanchez was this year:

Cassel - 2,924 yards (55%), 16 TD, 16 INT, 69.9 rating
              Sanchez - 2,444 yards (54%), 12 TD, 20 INT, 63.0 rating

Let's not forget that Sanchez plays in an offense with a great running game, talented weapons to throw the ball to (Cotchery, Keller, Edwards to some extent), and three Pro Bowlers in a row from LT-C. The defense is nothing to sneeze at either. Sanchez was just asked to not lose games. Most Jets losses were on his shoulders.

On the other hand, Cassel played for a team that didn't help him at all. He learned one system under Gailey for the offseason and preseason, then Gailey was fired. The starting running back completely quit on the team. Dwayne Bowe was suspended for steroids and the only other option on the team last year, Tony Gonzalez, was traded away. Chris Chambers didn't arrive there until later on in the season. The offensive line was terrible.
              Preeeeeetty much this. It's ridiculous to throw Cassel under the bus. I'm a Chiefs fan (obviously) and I'm pleasantly surprised at how he did this year. Sure, he made some mistakes, but no offensive line, no weapons and no offensive coordinator will make you look worse than you are. I'm very positive going into next season. Jamaal Charles has shown to be a gd stud, Bowe is back and hopefully we re-sign Chambers, and we just hired Charlie Weis, an accomplished OC.

Not taking anything away from Sanchez, because I think he will definitely get better, but I love the situation the Chiefs are in right now. I'm more optimistic than I've been in years.

As for Tyson Jackson, he wasn't who I wanted, but he plays a critical role in the 3-4. Every draft expert who knows what they're talking about said it might have been a reach, but Jackson was the #1 rated 3-4 DE in the draft, and Pioli puts serious emphasis on the defensive line. He was a little underwhelming this year, but there is no reason to suggest he can't get better. Especially if we get him some help on the defensive side of the ball. He just logged his first season as a pro and 3-4 DEs aren't known for huge sack totals, generally. I don't think he's a bust but I'd definitely put him in the "unsure" category. We'll see if he makes strides next year.

Originally posted by fenikz
              His soft D really turns me off
              ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

I didn't really get to watch the Broncos this year, so I don't know how they used him, but Ayers was definitely better suited for a 4-3 coming out.
                Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
                RIP themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooMonkey View Post
                  I didn't really get to watch the Broncos this year, so I don't know how they used him, but Ayers was definitely better suited for a 4-3 coming out.
                  from what I saw they switched him back and forth between DE and OLB

Comment

Originally posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
                    On what basis? Cassel was a better player than Mark Sanchez was this year:

Cassel - 2,924 yards (55%), 16 TD, 16 INT, 69.9 rating
                    Sanchez - 2,444 yards (54%), 12 TD, 20 INT, 63.0 rating

Let's not forget that Sanchez plays in an offense with a great running game, talented weapons to throw the ball to (Cotchery, Keller, Edwards to some extent), and three Pro Bowlers in a row from LT-C. The defense is nothing to sneeze at either. Sanchez was just asked to not lose games. Most Jets losses were on his shoulders.

On the other hand, Cassel played for a team that didn't help him at all. He learned one system under Gailey for the offseason and preseason, then Gailey was fired. The starting running back completely quit on the team. Dwayne Bowe was suspended for steroids and the only other option on the team last year, Tony Gonzalez, was traded away. Chris Chambers didn't arrive there until later on in the season. The offensive line was terrible.
                    Well, Rex Ryan who know a lot more about football players than any of us, thinks Sanchez is going to be a huge star and an All Pro QB within a few years. That is the ceiling he said he saw this year in Sanchez's play. I happen to agree with him.
                    And proud of it!!!

Comment

Sanchez is 21 years old. He's smart, athletic, and has a great arm.

He just went 12-15 in a playoff game against a very good defense.

He is 10-7 in his career.

There is no reason to think anything other than he's going to be a very good NFL QB.

As a Seahawks fan, I'm disgusted that they passed on this kid for a 4-3 OLB.
                      "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

Tyson Jackson we should have never selected.he was a massive dissappointment.should have nabbed Curry

Comment

I'm disappointed that we didn't have Crabtree the full season.

Comment

Too early to tell. Remember, everybody thought people like Antonio Cromartie and Marion Barber would be busts after weak 1st seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by RealityCheck View Post
                              Too early to tell. Remember, everybody thought people like Antonio Cromartie and Marion Barber would be busts after weak 1st seasons.
                              Barber was a 4th round pick. Anything you got out of him was a bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by T-RICH49 View Post
                                Tyson Jackson we should have never selected.he was a massive dissappointment.should have nabbed Curry
                                Curry was a disspointment also. I didnt like the Jackson pick with a deep O-lineman crop last year.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information