G.O.A.T. Interactive Project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.O.A.T. Interactive Project

So, I have way too much time at work. We haven't done something like this since GermaineRace was here, I think.

This is essentially the same thing we'vve had for the Interactive All-American College team and what is currently going on in the draft section for prospect rankings. Essentially, we will interactively vote and rank the best players of all time by position.

For example, we will have a vote for defensive tackle. If you wish to vote for a player, simply type his name and, in parenthesis, what number person voting you are. If you're the fourth person to vote for Joe Greene, just type
    Joe Green (4)
    The first player to a certain number of votes wins the top spot in the rankings. Votes earned by other players carry over to the next ranking position. So if three people had voted for Bob Lily, these three votes would carry over to his race for second place.

No currently active players are eligible for vote. Positional rankings are fluid and vary from year to year with players, so it's silly to try and rank them from a historical perspective until we have a completed body of work to analyze.

A couple of things before we start:
    Players will be ranked in groups on 10. First player to 10 votes secures spot #1. Next player to 10 fills spot #2. Etc, etc.

Rankings 1-5 will require 10 votes.
    Rankings 6-10 will only require 5.

Now, remember: debate is encouraged! We want to know "why" you think a player is as good, or better, than another. At the end of the day, though, keep in mind that these rankings don't mean anything. It's just the collective opinion of a bunch of football nerds with too much time on their hands.

We'll start off with defensive positions, and move to offense after that (culminating with the great debate: best QBs of All-Time).

Some great resources:
    www.hulu.com/nfl Best thing to use. Has NFL Classics, Old Superbowls, Greatest Games, Season Highlights, and much much more.
    profootballhof.com Another great site. Has player bios, stats, and some videos of all players inducted into the Hall of Fame.
    pro-football-reference.com Has every statistic you could possibly image. Regular season, postseason, W-L record, boxscores, EVERYTHING.

Let's get this thing cracking gents! Old-timers, I'm expecting a lot out of you on this one.

G.O.A.T. Defensive Ends

1. Reggie White

2. Deacon Jones

3. Bruce Smith

4. Michael Strahan

5. Jack Youngblood

6. Gino Marchetti

7. Carl Eller

8. Chris Doleman

9. Howie Long

10. Doug Atkins
    Last edited by yourfavestoner; 02-16-2010, 11:15 AM.

I think voting should be one or two positions per day

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

It's not like we can predetermine how many days it will take to vote for each position. It's entirely reliant on how quickly people vote.

I will tally all the votes for each day up, though, and update it on the first post of the thread. I'll do it right before I get off work (5 PST).

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
        It's not like we can predetermine how many days it will take to vote for each position. It's entirely reliant on how quickly people vote.

I will tally all the votes for each day up, though, and update it on the first post of the thread. I'll do it right before I get off work (5 PST).
        Well when do we start, and with what position, DE?

Comment

DT - Bob Lilly
          DE - Reggie White
          OLB - LT
          ILB - Jack Lambert
          S - Ronnie Lott
          CB - Deon Sanders

Kinda what youre looking for?

bonekrusher
          The Twitters
          themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by Bengals78 View Post
            DT - Bob Lilly
            DE - Reggie White
            OLB - LT
            ILB - Jack Lambert
            S - Ronnie Lott
            CB - Deon Sanders

I think Deacon Jones was a better DE and Dick Butkus was a better ILB

Comment

DT - Bob Lilly
              DE - Reggie White
              OLB - LT
              ILB - Jack Lambert
              S - Ronnie Lott
              CB - Deon Sanders

No dude.
              http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38458
              Look there for an example.

Comment

DT - Bob Lilly
                DE - Reggie White
                OLB - LT
                ILB - Jack Lambert
                S - Ronnie Lott
                CB - Deon Sanders

One position at a time.

Comment

Quarterback
                  1. Peyton Manning (1)

ohh not active
                  1. John Montana (1)
                  Originally posted by njx9
                  i mean, why wouldn't the broncos take cam newton? they can play him at quarterback WITH tebow!

Comment

Joe Montana (1)

Comment

Jesus Christ guys, has anybody actually tried reading the entire first post?

A couple of things before we start:
                      How many players should we rank? 5 or 10? Five makes the process go smoother, while 10 allows for a much broader group of players to be analyzed and debated (which is the entire point!).

How many votes should secure a ranking? First to 5 or 10? Five, again, makes the whole thing go smoother, but it is more subject to homeristic or ignorant voting. It also helps keep guys from jumping out ahead to quickly before other viable prospects have been brought up. Remember, a lot of these guys played a long time ago and aren't "fresh" in people's brains.
                      and

We'll start off with defensive positions, and move to offense after that (culminating with the great debate: best QBs of All-Time).
                      I've got a feeling I'm overestimating the board's capabilities with this. Wouldn't be the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by no bare feet View Post
                        Quarterback
                        1. Peyton Manning (1)

ohh not active
                        1. John Montana (1)
                        John Montana, huh?

Yeah, I'm definitely overestimating.

Comment

maybe do secondary, linebackers, then dline at once?

i eff a lot of things up sorry.
                          i mean, why wouldn't the broncos take cam newton? they can play him at quarterback WITH tebow!

Comment

John Montana, huh?

Yeah, I'm definitely overestimating.

Comment

Jesus Christ guys, has anybody actually tried reading the entire first post?

and

I've got a feeling I'm overestimating the board's capabilities with this. Wouldn't be the first time.
                              Lol, I was just making fun of nobarefeet.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information