Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chargers release Ladainian Tomlinson

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
    I hate to say it, but they should have done it 2 years ago.

    AJ Smith knew it. He just didn't have the balls to do it. LDT has been washed up for 2 years now.

    Great career though, and a first ballot HOFer. I liked him until he whined after losing to the Pats in the playoffs, then mentioning to everyone how he's a classy guy. That was the point in time when LDT officially became full of himself, and thats when his career started to go downhill.
    Just +rep'd for something else, but this (and a few others across threads) is dead on. Though I actually like the fact that AJ kept him on as long as he could. It seem like AJ was holding out hope that LT would actually stick to his "I want to go out on top" claims.

    Originally posted by ViperVisor View Post
    Skip Bayless says he isn't a HOFer by his standard.

    Cites postseason performances.
    Skip Bayless is, was, and always will be a giant douchenozzle who only speaks b/c he has an adolescent need to gain attention.

    Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

    Comment


    • #92
      Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
      I actually agree with this to an extent. As great as LDT was, and he was great, he was very underwhelming as a postseason back.

      Now granted, thats not all his fault, but some of it is. When we talk about the all time greats, you have to be more than just a great regular season guy.

      He had no defining post season moments, and his willingness to take himself out when hurt in big moments hurts him in my eyes as well.

      I really soured on him when he became full of himself. His own downfall came after the Patriots playoff game, when he ate up all the media love he was getting and became full of himself. His career went downhill from there.

      1 of the greats for sure, but i wouldn't put him in the top 5. He needed to have more career defining games to be a top 5 guy.
      Well said, those were pretty much my thoughts as well.


      Stedman Bailey 2012 Stat Tracker:
      12 Games, 106 Rec, 1501 yards, 23 TD's

      Steddy Ambition!
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOnISzeG2Ao

      Comment


      • #93
        Originally posted by FlyingElvis View Post
        Skip Bayless is, was, and always will be a giant douchenozzle who only speaks b/c he has an adolescent need to gain attention.
        Pretty much.

        Comment


        • #94
          I'm not sure i buy postseason as a great way to evaluate a RB, it's not like a QB where they are in control of the game. Look at Barry Sanders for example


          1991 dal W,38-6 | 12 69 1 | 5 30 0
          1991 was L,10-41 | 11 44 0 | 4 15 0
          1993 gnb L,24-28 | 27 169 0 | 2 0 0
          1994 gnb L,12-16 | 13 -1 0 | 3 4 0
          1995 phi L,37-58 | 10 40 0 | 2 19 0
          1997 tam L,10-20 | 18 65 0 | 5 43 0


          The way it is

          GamerTag : GrubbyPaws (Halo 3, NCAA 09, Madden 09)

          Comment


          • #95
            Apparently, Chargers could sign Thomas Jones to replace him. IMO Id select a back in the draft. And then after the draft pick up a back.
            Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds
            Coples is that dude.
            Go Amare. I Love Tayshaun Prince...

            Orioles - Raiders - UNC - Nuggets/Wizards

            Comment


            • #96
              Don't want this guy in New England. What would we use him for, three yards a carry during the season and keeping the seats of our stationary bikes warm during the playoffs?

              Comment


              • #97
                Originally posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
                Don't want this guy in New England. What would we use him for, three yards a carry during the season and keeping the seats of our stationary bikes warm during the playoffs?
                Yeah, I roll my eyes every time I hear some talking head mention how LT could fill a "Faulk-like role" in NE.

                Um, why would we need someone else to fill the role NAMED for the guy we have on our roster?

                Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

                Comment


                • #98
                  Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                  I actually agree with this to an extent. As great as LDT was, and he was great, he was very underwhelming as a postseason back.

                  Now granted, thats not all his fault, but some of it is. When we talk about the all time greats, you have to be more than just a great regular season guy.

                  He had no defining post season moments, and his willingness to take himself out when hurt in big moments hurts him in my eyes as well.

                  I really soured on him when he became full of himself. His own downfall came after the Patriots playoff game, when he ate up all the media love he was getting and became full of himself. His career went downhill from there.

                  1 of the greats for sure, but i wouldn't put him in the top 5. He needed to have more career defining games to be a top 5 guy.
                  This is out of whack. Where were the opportunities for Ladainian in the postseason? Say what you want about him but he was injured. 2004 and 2006 he had absolutely terrific games in the postseason, look them up, but the team lost, thanks Kaeding, so glad you're apparently a Charger for life.

                  2007, he had a busted knee. 'willingness to take himself out when hurt in big moments hurts him'.........okay. I mean if you are an injured RB, what are you supposed to do? It wasn't a boo boo, it was an MCL. In 2008 the same thing happened, a Colt turned his knee around. By this year he was done.

                  So those are the postseason games. He was injured by the time the team around him was set, his early career domination was on some pretty horrible teams.

                  You ask for more career defining games, but honestly the idea that anyone could question Ladainian's qualifications is a little ridiculous to me, and a clear example of taking recent history and using it to coat over his whole career.

                  He will always be the #1 back of this decade. #2 all time in rushing touchdowns, #1 in single season points and touchdowns all time, 100 catch season, fastest RB to reach ____ yards, year after year after year. He's busted so many clutch runs to seal games, even on crappy teams, that anyone who says he's not defined just hasn't been paying attention.

                  It's enough that he's done, and hasn't been all that effective in recent years, but now his achievements are being snubbed and that's wrong.

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    I see LT and Brian Westbrook drawing a ton of attention from Seattle, and Detroit... Pete could go after a proven all-star runningback, like Tomlinson, and Detroit could use some versatility (Westbrook) to their backfield as well..
                    GO RAVENS

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by CC.SD View Post
                      This is out of whack. Where were the opportunities for Ladainian in the postseason? Say what you want about him but he was injured. 2004 and 2006 he had absolutely terrific games in the postseason, look them up, but the team lost, thanks Kaeding, so glad you're apparently a Charger for life.

                      2007, he had a busted knee. 'willingness to take himself out when hurt in big moments hurts him'.........okay. I mean if you are an injured RB, what are you supposed to do? It wasn't a boo boo, it was an MCL. In 2008 the same thing happened, a Colt turned his knee around. By this year he was done.

                      So those are the postseason games. He was injured by the time the team around him was set, his early career domination was on some pretty horrible teams.

                      You ask for more career defining games, but honestly the idea that anyone could question Ladainian's qualifications is a little ridiculous to me, and a clear example of taking recent history and using it to coat over his whole career.

                      He will always be the #1 back of this decade. #2 all time in rushing touchdowns, #1 in single season points and touchdowns all time, 100 catch season, fastest RB to reach ____ yards, year after year after year. He's busted so many clutch runs to seal games, even on crappy teams, that anyone who says he's not defined just hasn't been paying attention.

                      It's enough that he's done, and hasn't been all that effective in recent years, but now his achievements are being snubbed and that's wrong.
                      You're right. He is the best back of the decade. I'm not questioning that at all.

                      But when you compare him to the all time greats, thats when unfortunately you have to critique the guy in unjust ways at times. Because it's hard for me to call him a top 5 back of all time with his current qualifications. I think his lack of success in the playoffs as a whole, regardless of the reasons, are valid to excuse him from the top 5 discussion.

                      Again, 1st ballot HOFer, incredible back, best of this decade. But when we talk about top 5 of all time, you have to bring more to the table than LDT did. Thats all I'm saying.

                      Its not a knock on LDT per say, there are a ton of incredible backs out there, which is why i can't put him in the top 5 of all time.

                      That's all I'm saying.

                      He has great #s for sure, but when we talk about top 5 guys, I just don't think he's 1 of those guys.

                      Top 10? Absolutely. Somewhere in that 6-10 range. Just not top 5.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                        You're right. He is the best back of the decade. I'm not questioning that at all.

                        But when you compare him to the all time greats, thats when unfortunately you have to critique the guy in unjust ways at times. Because it's hard for me to call him a top 5 back of all time with his current qualifications. I think his lack of success in the playoffs as a whole, regardless of the reasons, are valid to excuse him from the top 5 discussion.

                        Again, 1st ballot HOFer, incredible back, best of this decade. But when we talk about top 5 of all time, you have to bring more to the table than LDT did. Thats all I'm saying.

                        Its not a knock on LDT per say, there are a ton of incredible backs out there, which is why i can't put him in the top 5 of all time.

                        That's all I'm saying.

                        He has great #s for sure, but when we talk about top 5 guys, I just don't think he's 1 of those guys.

                        Top 10? Absolutely. Somewhere in that 6-10 range. Just not top 5.
                        This brings me to a point I was going to make when the RB GOAT vote came up...

                        How the hell is Eric Dickerson not considered a top 3 running back of All-Time? You'll see him shoved in there somewhere in the top 10 usually, but he's never in the discussion for GOAT.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                          This brings me to a point I was going to make when the RB GOAT vote came up...

                          How the hell is Eric Dickerson not considered a top 3 running back of All-Time? You'll see him shoved in there somewhere in the top 10 usually, but he's never in the discussion for GOAT.
                          he's not?

                          he's in my top 5 for sure.

                          Jim Brown
                          Barry Sanders
                          Walter Payton
                          Eric Dickerson
                          OJ Simpson

                          Jim Brown is my clearcut #1. The other 4 you can mix and match in a variety of ways.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                            he's not?

                            he's in my top 5 for sure.

                            Jim Brown
                            Barry Sanders
                            Walter Payton
                            Eric Dickerson
                            OJ Simpson

                            Jim Brown is my clearcut #1. The other 4 you can mix and match in a variety of ways.
                            Completely agree with you. However, it seems like most people have some combination of either LT/Emmitt Smith/Tony Dorsett/Marcus Allen ahead of Dickerson All-Time.

                            I also wish Earl Campbell wouldn't have gotten run into the ground in 4 years. He's the closest thing we've seen to Jim Brown.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                              Completely agree with you. However, it seems like most people have some combination of either LT/Emmitt Smith/Tony Dorsett/Marcus Allen ahead of Dickerson All-Time.

                              I also wish Earl Campbell wouldn't have gotten run into the ground in 4 years. He's the closest thing we've seen to Jim Brown.
                              Campbell could have possibly been better than Brown. Its a shame what happened to him.

                              Dickerson was much better than all those guys you mentioned. I think what hurt Dickerson was how the latter part of his career was mediocre. If the guy didn't screw up the end of his career, he couldve been the GOAT.

                              OJ Simpson is another guy who doesn't get the recognition he deserves bc...well...you know.

                              Comment


                              • Report: Sproles won't be back on one-year deal

                                Looking pretty thin at RB.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information